June 'Intro to the Rubicon' run

I really would like to go one way or another. I have ALWAYS wanted to check out the rubicon. I don't know if my unlocked P38 would make it through on 32's. I'm hesitant about bring my truck (not saying no, I just think I would hold the group up), but if theres a seat available I'm happy to fill someone's tank if I can ride shotgun.

Please count me in one way or another,  I would really like to go. Thanks Don for planning.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really would like to go one way or another. I have ALWAYS wanted to check out the rubicon. I don't know if my unlocked P38 would make it through on 32's. I'm hesitant about bring my truck (not saying no, I just think I would hold the group up), but if theres a seat available I'm happy to fill someone's tank if I can ride shotgun.

Please count me in one way or another,  I would really like to go. Thanks Don for planning.

William, we've been warning Ted that his unlocked (traction control only) P38 on 33s will already have to pick lines very carefully and will likely put it's winch to a big workout.  On 32s, I think you're just pushing it a little too far.

We should have open passenger seats though.  As we get closer and firm up who's actually going we'll arrange those.

Have you run the trail before? I'm assuming yes but I'm not sure. Right now the only first timers we have are Chad and Ted and both of them have solid trail experience, they just haven't been through the Rubicon yet.

I'm thinking of how we would organize the groups.

Yes.  I participated in our club's first Rubicon run with Shrek.  I was tail end charlie with 9 other rigs.   We started at loon lake on Friday and made it as far as Buck island Saturday evening, where Dan's RRC blew a diff.  The main group continued to finish the run.  I ended up towing Dan's RRC back to loon lake entrance starting early Sunday and making it back by 7 PM.

Ted, I know your P38 and I know your experience level with that thing so I'm fine with waiving the locker requirement for you. I would consider leaving the RTT at home though as there are some tight spots that may damage it.

Right now it looks like we're going with Father's Day weekend. We'll talk a bit more off-line but I'm thinking start EARLY Friday (I'd suggest camping at Loon Lake Thursday night so you don't have to make the drive in at dawn).

We'll also plan another run later in the summer so those of you who can't make it this time should get another chance.

So far it looks like the following trucks:

Don - D1 'convertible'

Jason - D1

Ted - P38

We have room for one more rig if anybody wants to join us.

As for passenger seats, we've had a lot of interest. I know I'll have an open seat (if you ride with me you'd better pack light) and I believe Jason will as well. Ted, how about you? We'll sort out passengers as we get closer but it looks like we'll have no problem filling any open seats.

Well Don, your in luck I weight close to nothing so I've solved that for you. On a more serious note, I don't need much anyways.

Yes.  I participated in our club's first Rubicon run with Shrek.  I was tail end charlie with 9 other rigs.   We started at loon lake on Friday and made it as far as Buck island Saturday evening, where Dan's RRC blew a diff.  The main group continued to finish the run.  I ended up towing Dan's RRC back to loon lake entrance starting early Sunday and making it back by 7 PM.

Tim Scully and Lutzi walked back to the group that stayed with Tiger Dan, carrying the rear diff from Lutzi's D2. Around midnight, Tim, Lutzi and I headed back to Rubicon Springs. I hauled Dan's broken diff in a back pack to meet up with the gear I left in Ron's RRC.

post-472-0-72099200-1491332356_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-40590700-1491332379_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-61310200-1491332418_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-81599700-1491332455_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-63069100-1491332473_thumb.jpg

Tim Scully and Lutzi walked back to the group that stayed with Tiger Dan, carrying the rear diff from Lutzi's D2. Around midnight, Tim, Lutzi and I headed back to Rubicon Springs. I hauled Dan's broken diff in a back pack to meet up with the gear I left in Ron's RRC.

That trip has spawned many epic stories.  It's become club legend.

I should add I'm not looking to replicated that particular level of fun on this year's run!  I had enough last year when I broke a rear control arm and had to hike from Buck Island lake to Spider Lake to fetch the part that was delivered in by relay.

NOW THIS IS WHY I JOINED THE CLUB! That looks like a weekend of adrenaline that I'm all for! Really hope I get one of these Passenger slots.

Also, Will, if you ever decide to get rid of this amazing looking green colored piece of machinery..please bring it to my attention.

NOW THIS IS WHY I JOINED THE CLUB! That looks like a weekend of adrenaline that I'm all for! Really hope I get one of these Passenger slots.

Also, Will, if you ever decide to get rid of this amazing looking green colored piece of machinery..please bring it to my attention.

If you want to break stuff I'm your huckleberry... ;)

Let's start with 'yeah man, I'm sure you can make it' and work from there.    I'll even offer to 'hold your beer'.   :P

• 3 weeks later...

This falls on Father's Day weekend, which might be an issue.

Don, Im curious. How are dates decided for such events? Does some one just choose randomly? Or is it decided between the board? Just asking because I want to know if things like Father's Day are taken into consideration. Like a lot would like to attend perhaps but also would rather spend time with their family.

Don't count me out just yet.

Dates are set by those running a particular trip.  In this case we bandied about a couple options and settled on this as the best choice.  It's early enough in the year to avoid the biggest crowds and before the Jeep Jamboree crews come through and pave everything, though with the amount of snow we've had this year we may be TOO early to get all the way though.  We'll only know that as we get closer.

Sadly, I've quickly realized no matter what you can't please everybody.  Someone will always have a conflict.  Not to worry, the Rubicon is a staple and we'll be continue to return to it.  In fact, it's likely we'll try a late season run at it as well if Enrique's buddy from Baja wants to tackle it.

Just to mention it, some of the other 'rocky' trips we have in mind for this summer include Gold Lakes, Slick Rock, Deer Valley in increasing order of difficulty.  We haven't set any dates for these as yet as I've been a bit of a slacker but I'll start working on that in the next few weeks.  Gold Lakes should be open early since it's not very high (and there are lots of trail options there) but the other two will have to wait for the snows to melt so likely won't be before July.

• 2 weeks later...

Dates are set by those running a particular trip. In this case we bandied about a couple options and settled on this as the best choice. It's early enough in the year to avoid the biggest crowds and before the Jeep Jamboree crews come through and pave everything, though with the amount of snow we've had this year we may be TOO early to get all the way though. We'll only know that as we get closer.

Sadly, I've quickly realized no matter what you can't please everybody. Someone will always have a conflict. Not to worry, the Rubicon is a staple and we'll be continue to return to it. In fact, it's likely we'll try a late season run at it as well if Enrique's buddy from Baja wants to tackle it.

Just to mention it, some of the other 'rocky' trips we have in mind for this summer include Gold Lakes, Slick Rock, Deer Valley in increasing order of difficulty. We haven't set any dates for these as yet as I've been a bit of a slacker but I'll start working on that in the next few weeks. Gold Lakes should be open early since it's not very high (and there are lots of trail options there) but the other two will have to wait for the snows to melt so likely won't be before July.

I'm definitely in as a passenger somewhere as I'd like to really get mine on to the trail this year if possible!! But first want to cruise and shoot some photos.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

From photos last weekend there is still many feet of snow even at Loon, but it's beginning to melt.  This week's hot weather would have helped that, though there's a chance of rain coming again on Sunday.  That will help melt it more if the weather stays warm, but it could easily turn to MORE snow.

I may be able to go on this one if,

1.- I get the classic ready

2.- no big jobs come in for that weekend

3.- I get a kitchen pass

RRC with Detroit in front and true -tract in rear, sliders and under body armor.

Have done the Rubby before but mostly as a passenger / stacker

I may be able to go on this one if,

1.- I get the classic ready

2.- no big jobs come in for that weekend

3.- I get a kitchen pass

RRC with Detroit in front and true -tract in rear, sliders and under body armor.

Have done the Rubby before but mostly as a passenger / stacker

I believe that would be the 'Rubicon Ready Classic', right?  :)

Archived