that's not really flooded

Phil.

marsh road at 84 in redwood city has cops directing traffic because the intersection is flooded. i usually take the side street to haven ave when it's backed up like this, but that street is closed off. flooded. bah! shouldn't be for us LRs.

Oh brother, do I ever feel your pain.

Today I left the house at 8:00 heading for Sausalito.  Normally at that time of day it takes me 2 hours to get there going down 160 - 12 - 80 - 37 - 101.

All was going well with moderate traffic.  I might have even been a little ahead of schedule as 37 wasn't too bad coming out of Vallejo.  Then just past the racetrack everything came to a stop.  ???  Google says 'construction ahead'.  Well, OK then.  So I creep along ever so slowly only to find out they've closed the road almost to 101 and are detouring people up side-streets.  Great.  Finally get to 101 and it's moving OK until I get to San Rafael and again it comes to a stop.  Google doesn't show any problems but I'm barely moving.  Inch by inch I get closer to my exit only to see they have it blocked off because there's about 4" of water over it.  Heck, I can see the white lines though the water.  I even watched the Caltrans trucks driving through it and the water was barely over their tire sidewalls.  Gimme a break!  Even a Prius could have crossed that puny puddle!

So now I'm going to have to take the next exit up, do a U-turn for 101 S, then get into Sausalito.  Except traffic still isn't moving.  It's been 4 hours now and Google says it'll take me another 45 minutes to get to my destination - I could literally walk there in like 15!  Turns out some kid had rolled his 'yota at that exit so I had to deal with that fun.

At this point I had already missed 2 appointments so I said screw it and went home.  At least I got to change the oil and rotate the tires on the van and finished building a rolling bench for the shop tonight.

This also highlights why although I'm generally a pro-gun sort of guy, I'm not necessarily in favor of open carry.  You all know that 'one guy' with a bad temper...now picture him stuck in traffic for hours, fuming away to himself, getting more and more worked up...and armed.

Archived