Official Death Valley trip (4-15)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are heading over on 50 instead. Lets rally up in Placerville. I think the only people that are in our convoy are Will, Don and I -- correct? Please send me a text (my number is 650-208-1175) with your cell phone number so we can communicate with the stragglers.

The address for our rally point is STARBUCKS at1228 Broadway, Placerville, CA .

We are still leaving around 6am -- lets plan on meeting there between 9am and 9:30am -- we will head out then. Text me if you are running late.

Also - remember to make a $$$ withdrawal for your expenses at gold point. He doesn't take credit - only cash.

Just finished my packing.  I'm not going to bring firewood since I don't feel like digging it out in the dark and loading it up; will just guy on-site as needed.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but that's normal for me when I travel alone.  I did however make sure I took the salt out of the sugar container.  It made for some really unpleasant coffee that way.

See you guys between 9 and 9:30 at Placerville.  We'll be overlapping on 50 for a while so I'll keep the radio on.

Back home last night at around 9 pm, after running a series of trails most of the day including a hill climb so steep it taxed my rig to the limit but we made it under her own power. Trip featured everything; stair steps, steep drop-offs, desert dunes, high winds, ghost towns, mining cabins, etc. Some rock-stacking and pucker-factor passages. No major trip-ending rig problems, but a repaired motor-mount and some low tranny fluid on Andrew's rig - oh and he almost lost his High-Lift jack, but a Jeepster found it and then found us to give it back. They demanded beer, but we only coughed-up a singular Red Bull as payment.

Hero move of the trip was Arthur, in his bone-stock 1993 RRC, climbing one of the steepest pitches you'll find with his wife and son aboard -- IN HIGH RANGE -- without a tire slip. Amazing what our babies can do...!

--Paul

Ok, I too split from the group and arrived home yesterday.  The trip overall was filled with the usual oddities from a typical Chuck’s Adventure Inc guided tour.   Complete with a working Ghost Town with fully stocked bar, a desolate castle, a welcomed desert oasis hot tub, plenty of choking dust, a Chicken Rock, various abandoned structures, several awe inspiring scenic vistas and the finest cabin in Death Valley.  

post-407-0-52318400-1492893268_thumb.jpg

post-407-0-08349700-1492893284_thumb.jpg

post-407-0-43745400-1492893300_thumb.jpg

post-407-0-88452600-1492893309_thumb.jpg

post-407-0-13981700-1492893321_thumb.jpg

C'mon Chuck! You can't just post a pic without a story!

--Paul

Hit pavement. On route to Shoshone Nathan's rover started overheating

Had to strap him up a long grade. Made it to Shoshone and discovered viscous fan clutch was out. Hard wired the ac fan and kept rolling. Spending night in tehachapi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived