Death Valley 3 day Route Plan

No date set yet, but would like to go to Death Valley for 3 nights in October. I wanted to see what you all thought from experience would be the best route itinerary. I bought a off road route book, but everything looks great, hard to choose and would love to hear what you all think is a great route.

D

I've led a lot of trips back to Death Valley in club days. Lots of places to explore.

Here are 3 ideas:

1. This time of year, I'd probably repeat what we did the first year of the trip. Take Steele Pass to the Hot Springs and camp there first night. You'll see the dunes, Dedekera Canyon, and end up where you can take a soak - just watch out for the "bares". You could exit out via Lippencott via Hunter or go straight to the intersection. Taking the back way to Cerro Gordo is also available to you there.

If you still have time, target Striped Butte Valley and grab a cabin.  Lots of good ones in the area - but Striped Butte valley is a good first night destination and one of those three cabins in usually available. Then exit out Warm Springs - take highway to Badwater. There is a nice little run in Cottonwood Canyon with some good places to camp and hike as well - think that is right by Furnace springs.

Of course, if you've seen all that - there are plenty of other attractions. With that little time though, you probably need to stay towards either the North or the South end of park and not try to do everything.

2. If you aren't into remote camping - base camp at Panamint Springs. Do some day runs -- Defense Mine/Lookout/Minnietta -- Pleasant Canyon Loop -- the Cerro Gordo loop. Lots of good trails in the area - and a place with gas to return to each night.

3. Stay South, but it may get real hot. If you do, check out Dumont Dunes and Bob and Wards cabin. That's an area that has other good stuff to see as well -- I just haven't explored it enough to tell you the details. I'm still trying to make it to the Krusty Bunny ranch..

Awesome, thanks Desertcrawler for the tips.

We are actually going this weekend 10/7, leaving Friday early morning from the bay area.

If anyone is up for going let me know, at this point still planning, most likely entering the northside.

I will plan the next one with alot more advance notice. But if there are any last minute takers we are set to meet in Big Pine around 4-5pm Friday.

BTW, has anyone done Lippencott Rd recently? it looks pretty scary and wondering if I should do it.

The route plan is:

Big Pine > Eureka Dune = Camp

Steel Pass > warm springs > Head toward Lippencott and camp

Take Lippencott to racetrack > camp (not sure about this road)

Take Hunter Mountain Pass and head home.

D

lippencot should be fine. scary but fun. make sure and check out the cabins in Hunter Pass. Lost Burro and Bev Hunters and Box Car.

You may want to check out panamintvalley.com - they have lots of road condition info that gets updated occasionally. The park also creates a morning report on road conditions on their facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Desertcrawler, we made it back, it was a great trip, but only did half of what we planned on doing. we did Eureka Dune > Steel Pass > Warm springs > then headed north again and did some camping and trails in the Inyo moutains. Next time Hunter pass and Lippencott will be the goal.

Archived