Land Rover LR4 is the Last of a Special Breed of SUV

erinw.rrc

Not sure where that guy is getting his rumors from, but Land Rover would decide what happens to the LR4 and not Range Rover. I love when people get confused by that. Lol.

On the other stuff, I suspect he's referring to the LR4 name change back to Discovery which is the only rumor I'm aware of. Also why would they drop the height to that of an Evoke? That's what the Discovery Sport is for.

haha... I saw the Brand name mix up at the end also.  Forgot to mention that.  I find that a lot of non-Land Rover owners are always getting the Brand name backwards.

haha... I saw the Brand name mix up at the end also.  Forgot to mention that.  I find that a lot of non-Land Rover owners are always getting the Brand name backwards.

Yes. My friend was convinced for the longest time that my Classic was a "Range Rover Discovery". Even my insurance, State Farm, has Range Rover as its own make in their system and doesn't have the RR as a model under Land Rover. You'd think they'd get it right of all people.

Yes. My friend was convinced for the longest time that my Classic was a "Range Rover Discovery". Even my insurance, State Farm, has Range Rover as its own make in their system and doesn't have the RR as a model under Land Rover. You'd think they'd get it right of all people.

Hopefully the DMV has it right.  Out of curiosity I'll have to check our registration on the RR and the RRC to see what the DMV has on record.

Dude....that looks like it's grown quite a bit over the LR4. Looks like the step roof is still (just barely) there, which I thought they dropped in the concept I saw. 

Looks like the WB has grown quite a bit and it won't be as well suited to harsh environments. Shame.

I'm pretty sure the DMV has my RRC as a 'Range Rover' for make.  And the insurance (Progressive) as well.

And I'm quite sure the next Disco will be less capable off road.  It's the nature of things sadly.  Longer, lower, wider works with sportscars but not so much with off-road trucks.  Unfortunately Rover is more about pushing more and more luxury (better margins) and less and less capability.  Notice what they said the target vehicles would be?  X5?  That's not an off-road vehicle at all, it's a 'there's some snow on the ground and I want to go the slopes' vehicle.

It will be interesting to see if they even offer a transfer case.  I'd say 50/50 at best.  It's an option on the current model.

And I'm quite sure the next Disco will be less capable off road.  It's the nature of things sadly.  Longer, lower, wider works with sportscars but not so much with off-road trucks.  Unfortunately Rover is more about pushing more and more luxury (better margins) and less and less capability.  Notice what they said the target vehicles would be?  X5?  That's not an off-road vehicle at all, it's a 'there's some snow on the ground and I want to go the slopes' vehicle.

It will be interesting to see if they even offer a transfer case.  I'd say 50/50 at best.  It's an option on the current model.

I had no idea. How sad. :( 

BMW doesn't (didn't?) even market the X5 as an SUV. When they launched it they called it a "sports activity vehicle" because it was not intended to be for off-road use at all. And you know what, they're damn good on-road SUVs. Same buddy that called my Classic a Discovery has an X5 4.8is and it's an absolute BEAST. It's on 300-something mm wide tires and accelerates and hugs corners like you wouldn't believe. 

Yes, I recognize that LR4 buyers are cross-shopping the X5 and 98% of them don't care about a gravel lane, let alone off-roading, but it saddens me to see them losing that core identity. Actually, it's much the same way that as a long-time BMW owner/fanatic, I'm horribly saddened by the direction their product portfolio is going as well.

C'est la vie...

Yup....hate to say it but there's nothing in the portfolio after about 2013 that I'd be interested in.  Oh sure, if I hit the lotto I might buy a new RR as an 'executive limo' just to have, but my money would ( and does) go into building up an older rig.  If I had to buy a new truck today, I have to say it would be a Rubicon.  Of course, then I'd have to learn to drink domestic maxi-brew beers too (shudder).  

Hey Bubba, pass me another Bud Light!

First off, I've been driving my Discovery Sport for three months now.

It is definitely a Land Rover.

You can tell because of all of the squeaks, rattles, and electrical problems.

I have taken it green laneing a few times.

It does great on gravel roads and muddy bogs.

My son and I spent last Saturday in the Los Padres Forest.

It was raining off and on, and the roads were pretty wet.

I drove it fast and hard, I never once felt like we were going to lose control.

It has plenty of legroom in the backseats and the cargo area is ample.

The gas mileage is great and it's very comfortable.

It's definitely a car for a soccer dad.

As far as it being the future of LR off-road vehicles; no way.

Even if it was more aggressive, and had a V-8; in the body shape and interior just don't lend itself to off-roading and/ or modifications.

I can't imagine that a larger LR 5 could ever replace the LR 3/4.

Finally, I picked up my vanity plates from DMV this morning; it's registered as a LNDR.

No mention of Discovery Sport anywhere on the registration.

I'm really hoping the Defender replacement still has solid axles, but that is probably not going to happen.

While I am consistently impressed with the off-road cababilities of the LR3/4, they lack the relative simplicity of a solid axle rig. Plus, it's easier to get more clearance with solid axles, but solid axles died with the DII, and there was no way LR would bring them back with the new Discovery. I can still hope with the Defender.

I don't think that the Discovery 5 will hold up when compared to a DI/II, and it will probably be more complex and less capable than an LR4. I think the newer Rovers lack the ability to be truly repaired in the field. IMO they started go downhill with the DII as far as repair-ability in the field. The Discovery 5 will most likely continue that trend.

I'm really hoping the Defender replacement still has solid axles, but that is probably not going to happen.

While I am consistently impressed with the off-road cababilities of the LR3/4, they lack the relative simplicity of a solid axle rig. Plus, it's easier to get more clearance with solid axles, but solid axles died with the DII, and there was no way LR would bring them back with the new Discovery. I can still hope with the Defender.

I don't think that the Discovery 5 will hold up when compared to a DI/II, and it will probably be more complex and less capable than an LR4. I think the newer Rovers lack the ability to be truly repaired in the field. IMO they started go downhill with the DII as far as repair-ability in the field. The Discovery 5 will most likely continue that trend.

I think the trade off between the II and the III is the engine reliability. Kinda a case of pick your poison. I'd take a td5 D2 hands down though. Can't imagine the D5 is going to have any usable sidewall, doubtful it will have the 2 speed tcase, real shame they are killing off the boxy stepped form-factor. As if they don't already have the RR, RRS, DS, RRE that are full of curvy lines. God forbid they make a big heavy square truck!

Might try and snag one of the last D4's if they have any around with the HD package, or wait until the soccer moms here get tired of them. I am excited to see what used prices the D4's are going to go for once the warranties start expiring. D3 makes a great work-truck for california. ;)

DIIIs are getting pretty cheap.  You can find rougher examples for $10K pretty regularly.  A really nice one goes about $15K.  Showroom perfect low miles every option might get to $20K but that's a real unicorn.

On the D4, I'd steer clear of the latest version with the turbo V6 and look for a '12 or '13 (I think it was '14 when the changed motors) with the 5.0. and HD pkg (rear locker)  That seems to be the pinnacle of the breed.  The V6 makes less power and is more complex.  It *might* give more mileage, but I wouldn't count on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup....hate to say it but there's nothing in the portfolio after about 2013 that I'd be interested in.  Oh sure, if I hit the lotto I might buy a new RR as an 'executive limo' just to have, but my money would ( and does) go into building up an older rig.  If I had to buy a new truck today, I have to say it would be a Rubicon.  Of course, then I'd have to learn to drink domestic maxi-brew beers too (shudder).  

Hey Bubba, pass me another Bud Light!

You sly fox Don. I didn't think you were much of beer drinker. Now I know what NOT to get you.

Archived