Visiting the MORG

Disco2Guy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm glad my thread title sparked some conversation!! I like MORG too. Being a heavy metal listening, electric guitar playing, and black Rover driving guy I thought the title was appropriate;) Thanks for the registration link Gary, I wasn't sure who was going to show up, or how to find out.

I also got my 245/75/16 BFG's mounted and installed the roof rack extension rails today.

Aloha Guys/Gals,

I am back from my family vacation in Hawaii; catching up with my reading! Ok, MORG it is! :)

Ron

At first, I too thought it was creepy, but it's kinda of growing on me.

How about "I survived the MORG" or " Been to MORG and back/survived"

enrique

I will need to check my calendar (just getting back from vac and need to see what's outstanding), but at this point, looks like I am clear and planning to attend our first MORG.

I like Maui also; tell me about your Maui trip. I stayed for 8 days in the Big Island; trying to put together pixs and details to post here; see you @ MORG!

When we were on Maui we stayed in Kapalua, right by the golf course. The house we rented had a view of the ocean and was remodeled this past summer I believe. Very nice. I proposed to my girlfriend on the beach just after picking her up from the airport. She was surprised to say the least. My sister also got engaged, but everyone (including her) knew that was going to happen. The other story of the trip is the road to Hana.

We went on the road to Hana in two Jeeps with my mom and step-father in one, and myself, sister and her fiance in the other. The trip was uneventful until we hit the Kukuiula Bridge. The county blocked the road due to rock slides, but the locals built up a two foot tall ramp to go over it. There's a pic below of it. My step father almost broke his leg after slipping on the wet rocks and decided that was an omen to not go over the bridge. I patched up his leg and my mom and step-father headed back the direction we came, but my sister's fiance and myself were kind of interested in seeing what was on the other side. I said we should talk to some locals and see what's up with the road closure. We did and was told the locals drive over it all the time and there wasn't another blockade like that on the other side so we went for it.

By now my mom was about 10 minutes away when we drove over the blockade. They stopped to wait for us but never saw us. They drove back to the road closure and still didn't see us. They didn't consider the fact that we may have gone over the bridge so when they turned around they were looking for signs of us going over the side of the road. Once they passed the spot where they first turned around they didn't say a word the rest of the way home. Meanwhile, I tried calling my mom and step-father with my cell, but of course there was no reception on that part of the island. Once I had a signal I left both of them messages of the route we took. It was getting dark just as we hit the actual highway again, and we were breathing a little easier.

When we arrived at the house my mom's Jeep wasn't in the garage. We started calling hospitals to see if they stopped in because of my step-father's leg. No one with their name had checked in. I call their phones again only to hear them ringing in the bedroom. We find both of their phones, money, and medical ID cards sitting on the dresser. About 45 minutes later they arrive and my mom is rather upset. We admitted it wasn't the smartest thing going over the bridge, but we gave them hell for not taking anything with them.

My mom's reasoning was that she didn't want to take stuff that might get stolen when we left the Jeeps to go eat or look around. I couldn't believe it!! I carried a first aid kit, gps, water, and a little food no matter where I went on the island, even to Lahaina. Anyways, that was the big story of the trip, aside from the two marriage proposals. Here are a few pics of the trip.

Here's a quick rundown of the pics:

1. In the parking lot at the airport. I never saw a crazier off road rig for the rest of my trip.

2. This is the path going to Jaws, a big wave surf spot (60-80 feet when conditions are right) on the north side of the island.

3. The infamous Kukuiula Bridge wher my step-father almost broke his leg.

4. The road past the bridge. There was a ton of rain a week before our trip.

5. The southern part of the island where apparently there are no roads.

Looks like we have 7 members signed up for the first MORG at Hollister Saturday. I know of at least one more guest who will be attending and who knows who else might show up even though they didn;t register.

It is looking like a good turnout for the first MORG!

I will be on CB-7 and HAM 146.460 and hope to get there between 10:30 and 11:00AM.

BTW,

I received email this morning from my son's Farm Team manager stating that our first mandatory team meeting is at 10:00AM tomorrow. WTG coach.....

No worries, I need to get the cobb webs off Shrek. I'll be leaving for Hollister Hills as soon as the meeting ends, expect my ETA 12:30PM

Cool pix!

Pretty intense moment I can imagine not knowing where your mother and step-father went, and their personal items on the dresser!

I would think kidnapping in the panic; but Hawaiians don't do that! Too busy hanging loose! :)

Congrats by the way on getting engaged!

"but my sister's fiance and myself were kind of interested in seeing what was on the other side"... you said below; he! he! Way to go; had to check it out right - that's how wheeling starts...!

"It was getting dark just as we hit the actual highway again, and we were breathing a little easier"... - best feeling in the world to me in any adventure! :eek: :)

Maybe catch up w/you in Hawaii one of these days! Or for starters, the Morg tomorrow! :); c yah!

Ron

When we were on Maui we stayed in Kapalua, right by the golf course. The house we rented had a view of the ocean and was remodeled this past summer I believe. Very nice. I proposed to my girlfriend on the beach just after picking her up from the airport. She was surprised to say the least. My sister also got engaged, but everyone (including her) knew that was going to happen. The other story of the trip is the road to Hana.

We went on the road to Hana in two Jeeps with my mom and step-father in one, and myself, sister and her fiance in the other. The trip was uneventful until we hit the Kukuiula Bridge. The county blocked the road due to rock slides, but the locals built up a two foot tall ramp to go over it. There's a pic below of it. My step father almost broke his leg after slipping on the wet rocks and decided that was an omen to not go over the bridge. I patched up his leg and my mom and step-father headed back the direction we came, but my sister's fiance and myself were kind of interested in seeing what was on the other side. I said we should talk to some locals and see what's up with the road closure. We did and was told the locals drive over it all the time and there wasn't another blockade like that on the other side so we went for it.

By now my mom was about 10 minutes away when we drove over the blockade. They stopped to wait for us but never saw us. They drove back to the road closure and still didn't see us. They didn't consider the fact that we may have gone over the bridge so when they turned around they were looking for signs of us going over the side of the road. Once they passed the spot where they first turned around they didn't say a word the rest of the way home. Meanwhile, I tried calling my mom and step-father with my cell, but of course there was no reception on that part of the island. Once I had a signal I left both of them messages of the route we took. It was getting dark just as we hit the actual highway again, and we were breathing a little easier.

When we arrived at the house my mom's Jeep wasn't in the garage. We started calling hospitals to see if they stopped in because of my step-father's leg. No one with their name had checked in. I call their phones again only to hear them ringing in the bedroom. We find both of their phones, money, and medical ID cards sitting on the dresser. About 45 minutes later they arrive and my mom is rather upset. We admitted it wasn't the smartest thing going over the bridge, but we gave them hell for not taking anything with them.

My mom's reasoning was that she didn't want to take stuff that might get stolen when we left the Jeeps to go eat or look around. I couldn't believe it!! I carried a first aid kit, gps, water, and a little food no matter where I went on the island, even to Lahaina. Anyways, that was the big story of the trip, aside from the two marriage proposals. Here are a few pics of the trip.

Here's a quick rundown of the pics:

1. In the parking lot at the airport. I never saw a crazier off road rig for the rest of my trip.

2. This is the path going to Jaws, a big wave surf spot (60-80 feet when conditions are right) on the north side of the island.

3. The infamous Kukuiula Bridge wher my step-father almost broke his leg.

4. The road past the bridge. There was a ton of rain a week before our trip.

5. The southern part of the island where apparently there are no roads.

We felt more confident crossing the bridge because we already had the Jeep in low range getting to the beach at Jaws. We drove through the path in the picture and saw my mom was going back because my step-father didn't think he could make it. Luckily, we were able to stop them quick enough and showed them how get into low range too and they joined us on the beach :)

Talk to ya' tomorrow!!

Thanks goodness for low range!

I am was thinking of attending our first MORG today but my two little boys are sick and my wife needs help! Cranky sick kids makes cranky sick parents! :eek: :cool:

Have fun today; I will get you the sticker on the next MORG or get together; I can also mail it to you! C yah!

Been looking forward to the first MORG all week!!

Haven't posted much this week in fear that I will have to cancel.

Seems difficult to keep plans with the little ones. Anyways, got

a 9:00am & 10:00am gym classes for the little ones and then Jacob

& I will peel off and head down to hollister. :cool: Expect to be there

12:30 - 1:30m. Frank and Tyler will be over at the Hollister Motorcycle

side also so Im planning on stopping in to see them also.

For those attending Morg.. Just got sweatshirts delivered to me last night.

Minus the kids one, I guess they forgot?? Anyways, Im going to put some in my truck and hand deliver to those atending today.. Help the club save postage. ;) By the way, the look great! :D

I had a great time today, and many thanks to everyone!! Overall I am very impressed how well RovrFlo (and myself) handled sections that looked too hairy, and still came out unscathed. The amber SES light came up just after hitting pavement on the way home. Here are some pics from earlier in the day. Thanks again!!

What a great turnout for the first MORG!

A unexpected bonus to attending the MORG was the delivery of the much anticipated NCLR Sweatshirts! Those who showed up and were due a sweatshirt had them personally delivered to them. We'll get the rest shipped out this week to everyone.

Archived