P38 Lives Again!

Teds

After thinking my block was warped and the P38 was heading to the wrecker, she has turned the corner and I breathed some new life into her.

After putting the heads on and seeing the coolant leak near the rear of the passenger side compartment, I feared the worse as it looked like it was a steady stream where the head meets the block. So last weekend I dove back into the truck and that cylinder bank. As I lifted the intake manifold off, I noticed some coolant near the front. This is too high to be from the head...hmm...then I noticed the coolant return pipe had a chunk of o-ring missing. It was pinched upon installation and definitely leaking. I poured some water on the pipe and followed the flow down the valleypan gasket and to the rear of the engine coming out near the passenger bank. Well, maybe this is the cause of all my heartache and depression. Picked up a new o-ring at Rover Rocklin and put her back together. But not without the drama of dropping one of the intake manifold grommets down the intake runner requiring the purchase of a fiber optic remote camera and a few magnets to fish it out.

Fired her up yesterday and no noticeable leaks. She lives again!

Though it was nice having the Aston as my daily driver, very glad to have the rover back. I was perusing the classifieds looking for another LR3/4 for Cara but that will wait. The P38 will live on.... she wants to make it down to Baja again...

Fired her up yesterday and no noticeable leaks. She lives again!

Nice post - it wasn't serious, you got a nice new tool and the Range Rover may make an appearance in Baja... all good things.   :)

So far, so good, but you know how the curse goes. As soon as you say she is fixed, something breaks.

I pressure washed underneath to help find the mystery oil leak. Probably a rear main seal.

Need to complete the drive cycle so I can smog her. She does seem to drive smoother. 

Archived