Head gasket

Teds

Pulled the heads and they are getting cleaned, pressure tested, resurfaced and a valve job. No definite gasket failure but I do see some coolant buildup near cylinder 8. Still not sure where my mystery coolant leak is coming from.

Need to get her out back together before Moab next week.

post-639-0-23717300-1441125557_thumb.jpg

Head gasket coolant leaks are often not apparent. Inspection of the old gasket and the block and head surfaces can sometimes still not turn up anything obvious. There's so little gasket surface area around the water passeages at the ends of the heads that it really doesn't take much to develop a leak. I've seen them leak from the water passage at the back of the block into the cylinder, and also directly to the outside. I worked on a DI a couple of years ago that would shoot a stream of coolant out the rear of the driver's side at the firewall after it got warm and built up pressure in the cooling system. Just did a HG job on a Classic I sold because I saw a slight drip of coolant on the front axle which a traced to the front of the head/block on the driver's side. It was just beginning to leak so we nipped that one in the bud before it could get any worse.

So you should probably feel comfortable that you got it whipped.

REALLY hoping you are right Dan. I see a buildup of coolant on the starter at the back of bank 2.

Exhaust is together. Working on intake today.

The ARP studs went on without a hitch. Some threads mentioned the drivers head was difficult to install with the studs sticking out because it is so close the master cylinder but I didn't have a problem.

Man, there us so much smog crap on this engine it's insane! Makes working and putting it together a real pain. It's all just piggybacked together and hard to retrace.

Fired her up last night just for a second! Wanted to be sure she would start before I change the oil and fill up with coolant. Planning to do that today, but stuck at work. I need to put a few miles on her before the trip to make sure she will make the trek to Moab. Deadline is tight, we leave Tuesday morning 7am!

Modified the battery tray as I had an issue with a worn winch cable and shorting out the battery at White Rock Lake. Exchanged the battery for a new one at Costco and got a group 27 battery tray from Amazon which is much more secure and a new winch cable.

Saw a new transmission fluid leak on the floor. Not sure where this started from as I only saw the fluid after I sprayed a ton of wd40 on the top/side of the engine trying to clean it. I am hoping it isn't anything serious. Will recheck the fluid level as I changed the tranny fluid and filter about 5k miles ago. I noticed some oil/coolant at the base of the bell housing. My rear main seal is probably toast and the bell housing is probably covered with various fluids. Another project in my future...

Well, she is now worse than before. I filled her with fluids and started her up. Typical burn off of oil/cleaning agent but then I saw coolant underneath. Uh-oh... traced it to the back of cylinder 8 where I thought my original leak was! WTF?! But now it is a steady stream of coolant seen right where the head gasket is. Heads are straight, is my block warped? Do I have a slipped liner? Did something get stuck under the head gasket? Do I need a new engine? Do I part out the truck?? arghhh!!!

Needless to say, it won't be making the trek to Moab Tuesday. I am not a happy camper.

I guess I will take everything apart on the passenger side, but I am seriously considering parting out the truck and getting Cara a new truck so I have the LR3. 5 and a half years has been a good run for the P38. Any leads on importing a 110?

That sucks, Ted. It's not a slipped liner, that doesn't cause external leaks. There's a soft plug on each end of the cylinder heads, any chance that it might be leaking there? It's a couple inches above the block to head junction but sometimes it's hard to see exactly where it's coming from at the back of the engine like that.

How thoroughly did you clean off the block surface? Did you inspect it in the process? Any chance you got a stray electrical wire trapped between the block and head? It's been known to happen.

I am seriously considering parting out the truck and getting Cara a new truck so I have the LR3. 5 and a half years has been a good run for the P38. 

Snap out of it Ted - Stop this crazy talk of driving a Disco III. P38's don't die.

What did you find today?

Archived