Official Oregon Back Country Discovery 2015 Thread

Bear, if you're in need and around SF some evening this week, you're more than welcome to borrow my NATO gas cans (I have 4 of them). You could store them inside the truck they seal well enough.

Bear, you will need these spare cans; min 2.

Thanks Brenton for offering!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Allyson, mine was rebuilt bu Bay Shore Trucking in Livermore.

LR made the driveshaft in our DII not serviceable. And it's close proximity to the catalytic converter tends to harden the grease

in time and just matter of time when it fails. In other words, the catalytic converter bakes all of the lubrication out of the shaft

and you can't add any more. The shaft will frequently break completely in half with very little warning and will usually knock a hole

in the side of your transmission.

I don't think you will have time to get your drive shaft re-built so I will bring a spare. Have it done if you have not already done

when you get back.

Brenton took a look at mine probably 6 months ago and I thought he said it was fine. Ugh

Brenton took a look at mine probably 6 months ago and I thought he said it was fine. Ugh

I don't have to give you a heart attack before the trip :). You will be fine if Brenton checked it out; I will bring the spare and

will also bring the driveshaft tool. Again, take it to a drive-line shop and have it rebuilt w/a grease fitting on driveshaft

when you get back.

That's true Graeme.

As for meet up, Michal and I will be in Dorris Friday night and I'll be monitoring 146.460 during the day. I figured the convoy would meet us there and we would just jump in line as the group rolls through.

Doris is about 1 hr away from Weed. Did you already book your lodging in Dorris? Should stay in Weed instead if it's not too late.

otherwise, we can call you once we are ready to roll pass Dorris, CA.

Ron,

Does this mean we are not meeting at Rupert's around lunch time?  Is our meeting point in Weed at 11:00 am?

What is our group designated meeting point before we cross the Oregon border and at what time does everyone need to be there?

-Erin

Hey Erin,

It's a slight change; hope everyone's is ok.

From the Bay Area, we have 3 suggested fuel stops according Rupert: Vacaville, Red Bluff and Weed.

So instead of lunch in Red Bluff as the original plan, I am suggesting refuel in Red Bluff quickly (meet with Rupert), and then head to

Weed and be there by 11am and leave no later than noon.

While in Weed, we can grab lunch, refuel and also drop off donations. and wait for other who are just catching up. Plan is to leave

not later than noon. I will get the address of the donation drop-off center in Weed. It's a small town so can't be too far from the

Freeway.

Hi All - TrekNow has gpx files for purchase for all 5 OBCD Routes. Has anyone looked into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not looked into TrekNow.

We purchased Route 3 maps w/GPS points on the maps from http://www.oohva.org/OBCDR/route3.html

I have not looked into TrekNow.

We purchased Route 3 maps w/GPS points on the maps from http://www.oohva.org/OBCDR/route3.html

BTW, while entering (manually....ugh) the waypoints from that map into MotionX I found a few errors.  I also noted several of the roads shown on those maps were not on my digital maps, though I tend to believe the paper since (I think) it's actual USGS quads. 

Bear, you will need these spare cans; min 2.

Thanks Brenton for offering!

Wow....I was only planning on bringing 5 gal extra fuel.  I haven't studied the fuel stops but it all looks like easy going and there are a few small towns we'll be passing through/near en-route so I figured stock +5 would do it.  Now you've got me worried.  May have to strap an extra tank on the rack along with the chainsaw.

Really?? Yeah you are gonna want those. Also make sure you have a CV joint, head gasket, spare transmission, water pump....

Or make sure you have a triple A card and then we simply tow you to a serviceable road :)

Anyone bringing a Sat phone for emergencies!

Ok 5 more days till our trip!

I will check email at the end of each of day and respond best I can; we can have a quick conference either Thursday or Friday after dinner between 6-7pm.

Also check the top of the thread for trip updates.

For example, weather forecast in Bend, OR is sunny in the 80s but low 40s at night. Take a dip in the lake or

do some fishing. Who needs a shower right when you have the lake :)

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Bend+OR+97701:4:US

Also trail update: after we camp at Gull Point Campground on Monday night, next day, we are taking forest road 6015; however, there is an option to take a more difficult 4x4 trail parallel to it (it's the blue colored route

on map 13b once you get your copy of the OBCDR3). According to recent reports:

"13b is reported to be all but impassable for full size rigs. Small units can slide by on the side. The hole

is reported deep with logs in the bottom, making it very tough for a 4X4 with winch to get past".

We will not be taking this option.

Also trail update: after we camp at Gull Point Campground on Monday night, next day, we are taking forest road 6015; however, there is an option to take a more difficult 4x4 trail parallel to it (it's the blue colored route

"13b is reported to be all but impassable for full size rigs. Small units can slide by on the side. The hole

is reported deep with logs in the bottom, making it very tough for a 4X4 with winch to get past".

Ron,

I was going to post about that today (saw it last night while perusing some of the links you posted) .... wish I could be there, but I can't do every trip ....

But you know I'd be doing the hard trail ....

Regards,

Graeme

Let me know where and when convoy wants to meet Sat AM. Call or text me when you hit 1st RB exit (so.main st). I can join @ 1) my house (1.1mi from I5). or 2) @ no main ARCO,or 3)@ last RB exit (Wilcox Rd) no stopping needed , its an moderate up grade for 9mi. I'll accerrate to join convoy, will listen on 146.6

Ok 5 more days till our trip!

I will check email at the end of each of day and respond best I can; we can have a quick conference either Thursday or Friday after dinner between 6-7pm.

Also check the top of the thread for trip updates.

For example, weather forecast in Bend, OR is sunny in the 80s but low 40s at night. Take a dip in the lake or

do some fishing. Who needs a shower right when you have the lake :)

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Bend+OR+97701:4:US

While inputting my waypoints I saw several of the 'blue' routes.  I didn't plot the first one as it was noted as extremely narrow and only suitable for bikes or quads.  I did plot out the other 'blue' routes hoping to take them to add a bit of spice to what I believe will be a fairly tame trip. 

Besides, Brenton is coming and I wouldn't want to deprive him of a chance to bust out some Camel Trophy skillz!

Or make sure you have a triple A card and then we simply tow you to a serviceable road :)

Anyone bringing a Sat phone for emergencies!

I'm bringing a sat phone.

These trips are good for the economy!!

Replaced windshield,

Replaced entire moon roof,

Brand new tires all around GY Duratracs,

Spark plugs,

Moly Lube synthetic oil

many other things and I still have to do food and libations :)

Ron Where do you want to meet early Saturday morning? 

I'm bringing a sat phone.

Replaced windshield,

Spark plugs,

Moly Lube synthetic oil

My suggestion would be City of Weed between 11am and noon to drop off donations (address coming), fuel stop, and lunch.

Replaced windshield,

Spark plugs,

Moly Lube synthetic oil

No kidding. You can note this in our save Telsa OHV letter that we do help the economy :)

Ok Meeting place: Saturday June 13 between 11-noon @ the McDonald's truck parking lot. Address: 1925 Shastina Drive, Weed, CA.

Shell gas station is across the street. Gas station has a small parking lot (reason for not meeting there) but we can take turns

from the McD's truck parking lot getting fuel.

For food, there's a Subway sandwich, Taco Bell, Mexican, Indian... and a few other more options. Also anyone wanting to stay Friday

night - there's Comfort Inn, Quality Inn and RV park a block or two away.

Pat Vela, president of the local county's Habitat Humanities, understand we are in a time crunch and he's be willing to drive

and meet at our meeting location where we can drop-off our donated tools/materials to him. I called Habitat Humanities, and Weed

Long Term Recovery Resources Committee (who recommended Pat) and Pat is legit.

post-410-0-80251500-1433856274_thumb.jpg

4 more days to get ready before our trip!

Gas prices in Bend, OR (our last fueling stop before we hit the trails). Again, fill up your tank and your 2 min gas cans: http://www.californiagasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx

Also today seems to be the last day to order parts from places like Rovers North and most likely still get it by Thursday or Friday (expedited shipping).

How's everyone doing with packing and getting ready?

Besides fuel and water, here are the two other important fluids to bring for the trip :)

post-410-0-17024800-1433858685_thumb.jpg

I did plot out the other 'blue' routes hoping to take them to add a bit of spice to what I believe will be a fairly tame trip.

Curiosity killed the Rover with the 5 gallon cans of gas and beer on top driving on its side :)

On a serious note, looks Don and Jared have hard copies of route 3. Each truck should have one and I was planning to bring

copies. Can I get a head count on who still need copies?

Archived