Official Oregon Back Country Discovery 2015 Thread

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! What's the price now in Bend, OR?

Bend range : $2.99 &.up. ARCO closest to Fred Meyer $3.03. FM is $3.08. Last chance ConocoPhillips $ 3.10

What's your ETA & meet point for you in RB?

Thanks Rupert.

I am shooting to be in RB between 9-9:30am, and the quickly hit the road and be in Weed by 11am to meet up with everyone @ the McDonald's

parking lot and hand off our donations to Habitat for Humanities.

Do you just want to meet in Weed, or wait for me in RB and caravan up to Weed?

Also folks, don't forget these few items often overlooked:

- Plastic trash bags

- Charger and extra batteries for your camera, lamp, etc...

- Paper towels & hand sanitizer unless you don't mind Oregon dust on your hands while eating :)

- And just in case, you get Oregon's revenge, commons remedies I bring are Pepto, aspirin, and plenty of wag bags, or simply

bring hand sanitizer.

- Mosquito repellant & sunblock

- Spare fuel for your stove/Jetboil

Ron, a quick perusal on my part
Slim Pickens . All west of our route otherwise US97 and few there too.
Hwy 58 Oakridge, SHELL, (9-5) 541-782-3909
Hwy 138 Ideleyld park resort, (541-498-2500
Hwy 140 Klamath Falls
Hwy 230 None
Hwy 62 Prospect 541-560-3210
Crater lk junction 541-783-9800

Phone me when you're passing South av in Corning ( 20' / 23 mi to Wilcox exit) we call finalize convoy/meet up or catchup.then NCLR channel.

Too EARLY!!! I meant west of our route.

All,

Just thought I'd check what higher powered amateur repeaters were up that way .... and found two obvious ones.

knowing I can hit Dodge Ridge to the east, I thought I'd see what I could hit to the north.  Both of these appear almost "line of sight" on a topo map from here, so I tried Red Bluff (W6SYY) but don't think I opened it (hard to tell though).  I then tried Chico (W6ECE) and can open that without trouble (comes back at me like it is next door!).

Edit:  Turns out the Los Altos repeater K6AIR uses the same frequency and PL, so no wonder it seemed to be next door .... (that is only 10 miles away).

Details:

Red Bluff (W6SYY)

145.450 (-)

110.9 PL

Chico (W6ECE)

146.940(-)

123.0 PL

Regards,

Graeme

Hey Graeme,

I've done similar research in the past and came to a similar conclusion. My in-laws have a place in Chico and then a place at Lake Almanor. Prepping for the drive from the Bay Area, up 5, turn East at Rd Bluff etc... I looked up the repeaters along the way...  Some worked, some didn't and others were the same freq/pl as something near by ;-)

Point of all this I guess is to program in "spare" memories, and test it out. If they research proves correct, GREAT! let me know :-)

Also, I can look up my research and post in anyone is interested...

Safe travels and 73's

We're partially packed - the roof rack is done and most of the gear is in it's appropriate boxes, just have to get the boxes into the truck.

Both Michele and I have some last minute work stuff to wrap up today then we'll be on the road this afternoon.  I'll have the radio on en-route, but will plan to be in Weed for the meet-up at 11:00

Wow! So close but glad to hear the LR3 is back; I am sure you were busy packing the LR3 right after; let's put you and Michele in for Friday to get

us from Hyatt to Dorris, CA and then home bound. I have a color map copy for you.

We're staying at the Hyatt!! Why in the world are we leaving after 1 night??

Road report: Chris & Michal & entourage just left here for Dorris

It's only 105 temp, the LRs melted into Defenders. LOL

That's wishful thinking - LR4s turn into Defenders!

On the other hand, be careful what you wish for, at 104 temp, glad I am bringing the DII 04 w/AC.

Did by chance Michal left w/you the tool box he wanted to donate to Habitat for Humanities; if he's heading to Dorris; I can don't think

he will want to drive down to Weed tomorrow, and drop off donations.

We're staying at the Hyatt!! Why in the world are we leaving after 1 night??

Wouldn't that be nice. Hyatt Resorts.

Except this is run by Bureau Land Management, and you get pit toilets (that's the Hyatt Lake Wildcat Campground).

Unless Jared got us upgraded to the main Hyatt Lake campground and we get flushing toilets and hot showers. No concierge or room service

however. :)

We're partially packed - the roof rack is done and most of the gear is in it's appropriate boxes, just have to get the boxes into the truck.

Both Michele and I have some last minute work stuff to wrap up today then we'll be on the road this afternoon.  I'll have the radio on en-route, but will plan to be in Weed for the meet-up at 11:00

Nice. Packed w/chainsaw everything. Safe travels!

Got home from work a few hours ago. Finished packing the outside Wednesday, nothing accomplished during the NBA playoffs

yesterday :). and just finished the inside today.

Too tired to drive to drive to Weed tonight so will see you all tomorrow.

Of course, Jurassic World is playing tonight so I will need a nap and muster some energy tonight to take

my boys to see this movie. T-rex!

post-410-0-77316000-1434160357_thumb.jpg

We're still at home....I didn't consider the nap factor when estimating my departure time.   :)

But we are fully packed now and I've finished up my work.  Michele still has some work to finalize before we get on the road. 

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/07%20Land%20Rover%20LR3/or%20trip%206-15/20150612_185743_zpsap7xavtl.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/07%20Land%20Rover%20LR3/or%20trip%206-15/20150612_185729_zpsncsko1py.jpg

Can't even see the saw up there.

Not long now....   :lr3:

Ron: we hit 115-120 depending on my truck or Michal's and yes I was really glad I have the LR4 instead of the 110.

Michal dropped off his stuff with Rupert.

It took 9 hours to get to Dorris from Livermore with 4 stops (2 20 min pit stops and 2 meals). We are planning on detouring to Crater Lake tomorrow and then off to the campgrounds. We will not be meeting the convoy in Bend. We will meet everyone at the first camp site.

Bear, sorry to hear about your gas can issue. I'm not sure if you can purchase just the cap. Maybe there's a kit with a spout and cap so you don't have to buy a whole new container.

Also try looking up Tractor Supply.

Archived