LR Rocklin Discovery Sport Launch Event

Teds

Attended the LR Rocklin Discovery Sport launch event in Roseville today. Its a nice upgrade over the LR2 but looks way too much like the Evoque...in fact almost identical to the Evoque from the front doors forward.  The two disco sports they had did not have the third row option and I'm not sure how they they can stuff another 2 seats in the rear, but somehow they do. 

I thought they were going to differentiate the 'discovery' line up from the 'range rover' lineup. I liked the previous lineup and the fact that the full size looked different from the sport and the disco was entirely unique.  Overall, more car than truck. Nice entry level vehicle, but really lacks personality.

post-639-0-25606600-1428725589_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-01874300-1428725681_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-51342300-1428725887_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-68207600-1428725929_thumb.jpg

Ugh, I'm just not a fan.

They all look like Victoria Beckham designed them again

What happened to land rovers being ballsy.

Figured with the LR4 they were going the right path

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I hope that the actual Discovery will be a nod closer to its heritage shape.  The Discovery Sport is probably going to replace the LR2... Evoque has done well for LR so it makes sense they would want to try for a repeat.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I hope that the actual Discovery will be a nod closer to its heritage shape.  The Discovery Sport is probably going to replace the LR2... Evoque has done well for LR so it makes sense they would want to try for a repeat.

This is what I understand and hope for.  The LR2 wasn't greatly loved among the faithful and I don't know how it did on sales.  The new DS looks like a good way to put money in the coffers by appealing to the vast majority of people who will never actually use the car off-road.  Hopefully freeing up the regular Disco to follow a more rugged path as it has traditionally done.

The scary thing with this family approach is the idea of doing the same with the Defender line.  Imagine a new 'Defender Sport' - what the heck would that be?  All the boxy goodness with none of the actual components?  Like a 2wd Wrangler? 

Imagine a new 'Defender Sport' - what the heck would that be?  All the boxy goodness with none of the actual components?  Like a 2wd Wrangler? 

Just remember Don, it could be worse:

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/dc100-barf.jpg

...much worse

Archived