For those unfortunate folks that can't make the fun happen down at Pismo the first weekend of May, join us for a day of leisurely off roading in the Stanislaus National Forest!  We'll be taking some of the forest roads for a roughly 3-hour, 25 mi. excursion with a total climb of ~4000ft.  Please RSVP in the calendar if you plan on attending.  See you there!

UPDATE 04/29: The meetup address is:

4301 Parrots Ferry Rd

Vallecito, CA  95251

per Google Maps. This is where we will all meet at 10AM.  We'll have a quick meeting, drink some coffee, eat a donut and hit the trail shortly afterward.

UPDATE 2 04/29: FOR BAY AREA MEMBERS - Erin & I will be waiting at the Newhall Chevron / Starbucks at 7:00AM.  We will attempt to depart at 7:15AM. Our arrival time at the trailhead mentioned above is 10:00AM.

Newhall Chevron

510 Newhall St.

San Jose, CA 95110

Other information

Primary FM simplex Frequency: 146.460MHz
Secondary FM simplex Frequency: 146.550MHz
Angels Camp Repeater : 145.170MHz negative offset 100Hz PL tone

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick,

Columbia is one of the closer towns to the start of the trail.  I did a quick check on the map and one of the first roads we take off the main Hwy 49 is Parrots Ferry Road.  Below are the GPS coordinates for that intersection:

38°05'42.7"N 120°28'17.7"W

38.095192, -120.471588

Looks like it's about an hour and a half away from Downtown Sacramento.

I'm looking at the book backcountry adventures and speculating its trails Crandall Peak and Dodge Ridge in that order with a potential for Bourland Trestle after?

They look great, really good scenic values!

do you have the track in a .gpx file?

I do!  Once I get a chance to dig out the right one and make sure it doesn't have one of my bonehead "I forgot to turn off tracking and drove 500 mi. on the freeway" endings, I'll post it.

I do! Once I get a chance to dig out the right one and make sure it doesn't have one of my bonehead "I forgot to turn off tracking and drove 500 mi. on the freeway" endings, I'll post it.

Lol. Been there done that

Chad,

I don't recall having any difficulty on the trail -- unless something has changed recently, we should have no issue.

I figure that halfway through the trail we'll stop and have lunch.

I was actually wondering the other direction. I wanted to make sure there was something sufficient to get my 2WD Rover stuck for a bit.  :ph34r:

At any rate, looks like a good time. I'm right at the 5/120 interchange so I'll join up as you roll through. Let me know ETA and whether you plan to go up 5 to 4 or across 120 and I'll be in position. 

I think I would like to try and make this. is there an itenerary yet? 

Hey there,

I actually might be attending as well, will know by early this week and can make plans. From what I can gather, this is more of a leisurely trail, like the ones I had fun on up near Red Bluff, and not a technical trail. At least that's what I can gather looking on the web.

I think Jared mentioned it too.

-David

Bummer ... I wanted to go but my Sister has her baby shower on Saturday and my wife isn't taking any of the bait I toss out there in regards to getting out of it.

Have fun everyone!

Bummer ... I wanted to go but my Sister has her baby shower on Saturday and my wife isn't taking any of the bait I toss out there in regards to getting out of it.

Have fun everyone!

Tell you wife the baby shower would be great for girls.only.......Viola!

Archived