Thanks for sharing that, Jake -- I've seen that once before in person and just assumed some guy did it himself...  nice to know it was sold from Volkswagen that way...

-Jared

Thanks for sharing that, Jake -- I've seen that once before in person and just assumed some guy did it himself...  nice to know it was sold from Volkswagen that way...

-Jared

Jared,

If my memory serves me correctly, the VW was first displayed at the Earl's Court Motor Show in London, with the panels showing all of the colors that the car could be purchased in, with no intention of selling them like that.  People liked it so much they decided to sell them.  At one time there were as many of those on The King's Road in Chelsea as there are Tesla's in Palo Alto ....

Graeme

Jared,

At one time there were as many of those on The King's Road in Chelsea as there are Tesla's in Palo Alto ....

Graeme

That must have been a sight to see...

As an aside, I must be one of the few people that aren't that thrilled with the Tesla Model S... it's okay looking to me.  Erin loves it and based on a show we saw last night, apparently 4 out of 5 models would prefer a guy driving a Tesla Model S over a Rolls Royce Phantom.  Guess Tesla's doing something right...

-Jared

I dunno... Looks ugly to me lol

Too many colors, The VW is more practical for a mixmatch of colors. Defenders should stay solid colors. (As I'm bidding on a orange / yellow two toned one) -_-

TWENTY-SEVEN exterior colors!!! That's insane. He should stick to fashion design, clearly automotive design isn't his strong suit.

I'm not sold on the various prototypes I've seen of the Model X, but I think the Model S was a complete grand slam. I love the way it looks.

Seeing that pic of the Defender tells me to never purchase anything Paul Smith "designed". Looks more like something Quake threw up after drinking ditch water and then peed all over it.

Was that too far? Sorry, so is that monstrosity. 

Jared,

If my memory serves me correctly, the VW was first displayed at the Earl's Court Motor Show in London, with the panels showing all of the colors that the car could be purchased in, with no intention of selling them like that.  People liked it so much they decided to sell them.  At one time there were as many of those on The King's Road in Chelsea as there are Tesla's in Palo Alto ....

Graeme

Graeme,

Actually the Harlequins started off as a run of a few Polos in Europe. The demand for them was really high and they ended up producing something like 3000 Harlequin Polos. Since the Polos sold so well they did a short run (inital run of 46 plus an additional run of 200) in the US/Canada. Oddly enough one of the rarest VW colour combos ever produced. A whole bunch of them sat on dealer lots and a few ended up having panels switched around to be made into a solid colour. The green and the blue colours used in the Harlequins were colours never sold in the North American market. I'm a bit of a VW nut as well as having a case of Roveritis :)

Cheers,

Jake

Couldn't you get the same effect by bolting random panels together from various random-colored Defenders?

Why, of course not!  This is high fashion, and clearly worth a premium.  If you can't see that then you must be fashion-impaired.

(please note the sarcasm)

Personally, I find any 'special edition' that doesn't involve hard parts to be a total joke.  As they say in the bike world 'BNG!!' 

(bold new graphics...short for 'we didn't make any improvements in the product so we just painted it differently to make it look like we did something' )

Looks to me like the color scheme was designed by a 7-year-old who just wanted to use every color crayon in the box.

Well they did say he was a 'fashion designer', so yeah...

Archived