Family oriented trips

Guest Pedram

:blink:

The emergency whistle...I still hear them in my house. Really, I have not found all the ones my kids brought home.

And we thought the aluminum foil wrapped around your skull was to prevent the aliens from hearing your thoughts.  :blink:  ;)  :D

We really do our best when planning trips to account for families with young children, and as mentioned here, some trips are expedition style while others are base camp oriented with activities for the outdoors. This allows several different options for all of our members and families we have here. ::bigsmile::

....I'm for bringing kids on trips. It's how to keep them entertained and out of trouble that's tough

I come from the same school of thought as Gever Tulley, who some of you may have heard of, or even heard speak in the Bay Area. Let's help the kids do wild things on our outings .... obviously that doesn't mean let a 3 year old hang-glide off the top of your Rover, but poke sticks in the fire and teach them how to respect danger and have fun too. My son was driving at 8 (maybe earlier), riding a dirt bike at least 2 years before that, and has been using power tools since he was old enough to hold a drill. He still has all his fingers and most of his other parts intact. At 7 years old he assisted me in a potentially very dangerous solo winch recovery, but I explained every step, made sure he was safe, explained what could (and at the time might) happen, and he learned more physics than school had taught him in a year. It is Lucas, and not me, that says "are we going to the MORG this month?".

I'm "old school" so here are a few suggestions for the Annual Event:

1. Tug-o-war (kids vs kids, kids versus adults - with weight of participants on each end matched so we get some math in there too), then everyone vs a Land Rover ....) - lots of learning potential.

2. Sack races (for the kids) - no learning potential, but get rid of some energy

3. Bread making and roasting (I'll happily lead this one - probably a 6-years up activity)

4. Supervised driving (I'll volunteer my vehicle(s) for those that are worried their $60K rig will get damaged) - any child able to reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel

5. Elastic powered plane construction and distance flying competition - almost any age with some adult help where needed

6. Axle swap out - any teen who wants to learn -- Collin will break his axle shaft for us ....

7. Basic First Aid - those not in Scouts (or similar) should be taught this -- Maybe Doc Solis can assist?

Get Tulley's book from the library, don't buy it, but here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Things-Should-Your-Children/dp/0451234197

Regards,

Graeme

I come from the same school of thought as Gever Tulley, who some of you may have heard of, or even heard speak in the Bay Area. Let's help the kids do wild things on our outings .... obviously that doesn't mean let a 3 year old hang-glide off the top of your Rover, but poke sticks in the fire and teach them how to respect danger and have fun too. My son was driving at 8 (maybe earlier), riding a dirt bike at least 2 years before that, and has been using power tools since he was old enough to hold a drill. He still has all his fingers and most of his other parts intact. At 7 years old he assisted me in a potentially very dangerous solo winch recovery, but I explained every step, made sure he was safe, explained what could (and at the time might) happen, and he learned more physics than school had taught him in a year. It is Lucas, and not me, that says "are we going to the MORG this month?".

I can see I'm going to like this group. :D

Kids don't get enough opportunities to experience unfamiliar situations and hone their abilities to analyze a situation, assess risk and possible outcomes, and make appropriate decisions. Giving them more ways to do that is a great thing.

Guest Pedram
There are some great ideas for the annual Graeme. We need to sit down as a club and talk about these ideas. I don't think this has ever been brought up as a subject since I've been here as a member. This is a subject that can been viewed in many eyes differently. Thank you everyone for your input. Let's see what other ideas are out there. Any ideas on mom's at camp.

Erin check with some of the former board members for ideas so not to re-invent the wheel

Erin, Also check the minutes from last year's, and two years ago's board meetings regarding Planning for the Annual. (If you can't find, I may have from my notes and I'm happy to send you copies)

In it you will find the "track based" format that was proposed for the annual which included Beginner, Advanced and Family tracks of activities. The Family track included outdoor and off-road related suggestions like bringing bikes/trikes for obstacle course, cooking, etc... Graeme posted a great list above that should be considered as well. As I recall, it was discussed at some length but fell victim to "resource related" issues. It sounds like we have a few new parents in the group who may be willing to take on the creation, staffing and managing of the proposed "family" track of activities for the Annual and that would be a GREAT thing to see.

Thanks, Tom

There are some great ideas for the annual Graeme. We need to sit down as a club and talk about these ideas. I don't think this has ever been brought up as a subject since I've been here as a member. This is a subject that can been viewed in many eyes differently. Thank you everyone for your input. Let's see what other ideas are out there. Any ideas on mom's at camp.

Ahh, how perspectives change. This has been a discussion at some level every year Pedram. Just normally with and among those with kids. I have only had my rover as a married with kids member, so we have tried a variety of options. You may remember getting the Disco stuck on the mounds of dirt in Area 5...the same mounds that became the rock war later that night? The kids activities with the guest a year or two ago..the RC cars...

The biggest problem is the age range (if we only have one 10 year old, they either go up/down with the bulk of kids) and finding an activity both suitable for kids and for location. Trucks come into camp hot sometimes. We have had a few near misses over the years.

And, there is a time commitment to bringing kids. When I bring mine, I don't get out on trails. Progress can be slow. One year we brought two rovers, one year the VW all trying to make the days more enjoyable for the kids.

When I don't I get to go out and wheel more. Soon they will be able to sit on my lap and drive a little and then onto driving on their own....then it gets fun.

I have done: Bishop, Allegheny Trail, MORG, Annual Event with kids. Rule of thumb: More families, better understanding of family needs. More "adult only vehicles" the less likely the desire to stop/play/eat/rest/

Guest Pedram

For those who felt left out or something was missing, what ideas come to mind to fix these issues? I'm new to this fatherhood but not new to the club.

I

For those who felt left out or something was missing, what ideas come to mind to fix these issues? I'm new to this fatherhood but not new to the club.

I don't think anyone has felt left out or that something was missing, or we haven't heard of it at least. They weren't really issues that needed fixing, they are just something the Board tries to address when planning for the Annual. But as Mike said, it's really the age range that makes it difficult to plan that many activities, and not knowing what the actual kid turn out would be. When the Suttles were around, they had the age ranges covered, plus Lucinda was a Den Mother for the Girl Scouts. If asked her for input in the past and she had some great ideas. My favorite was making the plaster casts of animal tracks. That's a good one since it covers any age range. I'm sorry I missed out when they did it:(

So I have read and re-read this thread from the beginning and there are few suggestions but no one has really stepped up to make something happen so here I go.  

1. The problem with trying to organize a kid friendly trip as Mike pointed out is the range of ages.  To address this you have to parent your own children.  You know what they like so bring it.  There is no way to plan a days worth of activities for range of ages that attend these events.  We can certainly plan a single fun thing for everyone (plaster molds of animal tracks, etc).

2. Infants on trips.  In my opinion as a trauma surgeon who sees how kids respond to being banged around I really wouldn't off road with a child less than 2 years old.  They don'y have the neck strength and upper body strength to handle the bouncing around.  I don't care what car seat you buy.  This is but my opinion, take it as such.

3. There are many family oriented trips every year on our calendar but it seems that people are hesitant to go as they don't know what the trip will be like.  To this I am willing to put on a "how to camp with your family trip" this spring.  Destination will be Bowman Lake (pics to follow).  It is about 5 hours from Livermore up Hwy 80.  Usually stop at the Auburn In n Out (2.5-3 hours) for lunch as most kiddos can make this distance and then they can potty and stretch their legs.  Bowman is about 30-45 minutes of off road so not a huge commitment there but it still feels remote and there are primitive camp spots.  In a thread for that trip I will list how I go about planning a trip with my son. (I will also be hosting at some point a class on how to lead a trip)

work calls (stupid knife and gun club of stockton).  will finish post later

Solis

Ok, donor-cycle crash. He'll be ok.

Back on topic.

All trips are family oriented if you plan well and are comfortable taking your kids.

4. Kids love being outdoors but as a parent you have to watch them. Although all the parents on a trip do a zone defense you are responsible for your children. This means how you used to camp isn't going to work. Nature is awesome. Let your kids explore. I don't bring electronic devices for Rox. We just talk and sing etc but it's only 1 kid. I'm not telling anyone how to parent. The only way you will learn is by going. No one can tell anyone how or what to do. You will make mistakes and learn/adapt from it. This is why I don't cook big amazing meals anymore, too much effort and time, Rox barely ate it but he loves dehydrated Mac and cheese with hot dogs! (My JetBoil cookbook will be available this summer )

To summarize my rant/opinion:

1. Bring your kids

2. Enjoy nature and learn with your kids or teach them what you know.

3. Keep the babies at home

4. There is no "kid trip" where full day activities are planned. For most kids on the trips, dirt/water/sticks become forts, space ships, pirate ships, etc. No purchase necessary.

Bowman Lake

post-621-142595443542_thumb.jpgpost-621-142595455263_thumb.jpgthese were the kids looking for lizards.

Roxson Camping (times i as a Papa will never forget and why the effort is worth it)

post-621-142595459994_thumb.jpghttps://vimeo.com/121743192

post-621-142595489163_thumb.jpgpost-621-142595491882_thumb.jpg

post-621-142595475025_thumb.jpg

Nice write-up and generous offer Chris. Maybe someone will start a similar thread on how they get their teenage daughters to want to go camping ;-)

Step 1: Let them drive your truck. Actually... That might be all the steps.

Step 1: Let them drive your truck. Actually... That might be all the steps.

LOL. 

Also, a bet a good air mattress would go a long way. We had a guest and couldn't easily get to our air mattress so we picked up a new one that's "double high", although it's really more like the height of 3 or 4 standard air mattresses. I laid on it for a while and it was WAY comfy. It's going to be the new camping mattress for us. Hooking your daughters up with something that makes it feel more like home and less like a camping trip could help.

]

LOL.

Also, a bet a good air mattress would go a long way. We had a guest and couldn't easily get to our air mattress so we picked up a new one that's "double high", although it's really more like the height of 3 or 4 standard air mattresses. I laid on it for a while and it was WAY comfy. It's going to be the new camping mattress for us. Hooking your daughters up with something that makes it feel more like home and less like a camping trip could help.

It depends upon the teen. I'm sure boys are different than girls, but for me not having to fight with camping gear > comfort. Both in Death Valley and the Annual event, I slept on top of the truck. At Pismo, I laid out a bivy bag directly on the sand next to the truck. Then a couple months ago I thought, "I'd really be screwed if it ever rained," and bought one of those Front Runner tents that sets itself up.

] It depends upon the teen. I'm sure boys are different than girls, but for me not having to fight with camping gear > comfort. Both in Death Valley and the Annual event, I slept on top of the truck. At Pismo, I laid out a bivy bag directly on the sand next to the truck. Then a couple months ago I thought, "I'd really be screwed if it ever rained," and bought one of those Front Runner tents that sets itself up.

Thanks Tyler ;-)  You and your sister probably spent more time in the Discovery than your cribs!  And it shows on the trail and around the campfire.  My girls don't have the benefit that you, and so many other families in this club, that have been bringing their kids out since they were very young... So, I'm coming at it a little late for two teenage girls.  Coco drove the truck at the annual and liked it. Chloe has her license and is off to college so she may have slipped my grasp...  How about we let Coco drive YOUR truck??... you know, the one that rescued me and her from 5 fingers??  

Thanks buddy,  Tom

My daughter is 15 and is willing to go on more trips than my 10 year old son is. I let her drive the first time in Monache Meadows last June and she was hooked. Just the possibility of being able to drive is usually enough to coerce her into coming along if she's hesitant. Helps that she's a daddys girl too..

Thanks Tyler ;-)  You and your sister probably spent more time in the Discovery than your cribs!  And it shows on the trail and around the campfire.  My girls don't have the benefit that you, and so many other families in this club, that have been bringing their kids out since they were very young... So, I'm coming at it a little late for two teenage girls.  Coco drove the truck at the annual and liked it. Chloe has her license and is off to college so she may have slipped my grasp...  How about we let Coco drive YOUR truck??... you know, the one that rescued me and her from 5 fingers??  

Thanks buddy,  Tom

Well... I doubt she could abuse it anymore than I already do. Seeing as I have been in a car chase, jumped sand dunes, plowed the way through deep snow and mud, and gone quite a bit past the recommended wading depth. I'm not even going to mention the rocks, or the cliff I drove off.

I'm sure Chloe is a better driver than Robby "Crash" Claude, who already has had quite a bit of seat time in it.

Archived