February 7th : Frank Raines OHV Park

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heck, that looks like fun, actually...! A little pucker factor is good for the heart.

Dan,

You have to see that in slow motion about the 10 or 11 second mark .... the front right wheel was about 15 inches off the ground. It was bad enough that I wasn't going to try going down it ....

Graeme

Well I don't write a million words to explain what happened.... I just take video and post the actual story.

Pictures and/or video or it didn't happen.

That was low 1st...with hill decent.

No brakes other than what the computer was trying to do. Even so, I had very little steering which is why I went over the large berm at the bottom. I just couldn't make the turn. In order to keep the tires from locking the hill decent couldn't use much brake so I went just a tad faster than I would have preferred.

Had I locked up I likely would have gotten sideways, which would have ended on my side. Or possibly just have slid straight through the small brush on the berm which would have ended with me basically jumping a 4-5' drop-off and sticking the front. Then probably on my side.

In the video it just looks like 'well go slower you idiot'. But that was as slow as I COULD go!

Oddly, I've been up that hill as have several others without much trouble. Mud makes things more interesting.

We'll file this under 'things not to do'.

Holy crap.....

[YouTube]nwMFuR_ALcU[/YouTube]

Now that the scary part is over... that really is funny video.

Thanks Don for being a great trail leader and recommending that we all turn around!

Now that the scary part is over... that really is funny video.

Thanks Don for being a great trail leader and recommending that we all turn around!

Yes - great day , lots of fun. Thanks Don for leading us on the trails. Sorry I had to leave during Erin's tire change, but I had to get home by 5pm.

I love Pedram's response afterword.

I think you needed...you look like you...you didn't....scra...uh...oh my god, I got this on video...

I think this is what made it so funny... when Pedram is freaked out... you know it's crazy!

I want to take all the credit but really I just did my job and recorded Don. But where is my thanks? It was scary that I was standing in the worst place to get hit but the best place for a video. I was scared more about Don flipping over and getting hurt more than myself. I saw things way different and was expecting a horror film. Glad you made it look like you planned this. Really shows how good your reflexes are when it's something you have no control over.

This video just proves that a bad event can be overcome by focus and knowing your rig. Everyone here should trust their trucks and don't panic. If you see how calm Don is right after you can see what I mean.

I want to take all the credit but really I just did my job and recorded Don.....

If you see how calm Don is right after you can see what I mean.

If I'd been in your shoes Pedram I would have turned and run .... looking from the top that was one of the scariest parts. Several years ago a friend of mine was killed filming a motorcycle when it slid off the track killing both the rider and himself. If anyone has a a Honda CBR600 F4 look on the inside of the fairing to see the dedication to the two men that were killed. Looking from the top you seemed to be in the direct line as Don came around the corner ... for once in my life I was silent ....

As for Don being calm, unless he had been drinking too much coffee, that wasn't calm, that was adrenalin!

Thank goodness all ended well.

Anudeep was very nice and lent me his full size spare since we both have stock trucks with the same size tires. I get me new rims on Wednesday so I expect I will buy new tires by next weekend and start my lift... If everything arrives on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anudeep was very nice and lent me his full size spare since we both have stock trucks with the same size tires. I get me new rims on Wednesday so I expect I will buy new tires by next weekend and start my lift... If everything arrives on time.

So you will lift 2.5" full time? That's very cool, but I recommend getting an alignment right after. I heard that's best when you lift the LR3/4 - what do others think?

Also you know I completely forgot I have a stock 19" spare as well, did not even remember I had one until home. Duh! I was a bit worried about getting home.... I'm so glad Anudeep had a spare... Surprised Pedram didn't remind me. Glad all is well and soon you will have new wheels/tires. Your current LR4 TPMS may work on your new wheels, but may not. Either way you can get new ones (about $300) or turn off TPMS via the IIDTool.

Not full time, I'm just going to have reprogram the the three EAS settings once I have bigger tires.

Yes, you can save 3 settings... Just write it down, it's a little weird how they do the increases and decreases to the EAS. You will calibrate it first and have a max. If you lift 30mm, then you need to decrease -30mm to go back. It always starts at 0. It's odd.

Holy crap.....

[YouTube]nwMFuR_ALcU[/YouTube]

Wow indeed! I am sure the video didn't show how truly steep that hill. Good driving/control Don!

Anyone try it with the old school rig with just engine compression: 1st gear, and LT230 locked and lock. See if that would have been a slower descent.

Wow indeed! I am sure the video didn't show how truly steep that hill. Good driving/control Don!

Anyone try it with the old school rig with just engine compression: 1st gear, and LT230 locked and lock. See if that would have been a slower descent.

Hey Ron... No one else tried it, just too dangerous with the mud. Even Graeme wouldn't advise anyone to do it - very scary!!!

Had a great day , can't wait for more pics. I only took a few - will post soon.

Hey Ron... No one else tried it, just too dangerous with the mud. Even Graeme wouldn't advise anyone to do it - very scary!!!

Had a great day , can't wait for more pics. I only took a few - will post soon.

Ditto on that. Safety first!

Archived