New straps for Trasharoo

Disco2Guy

This has project has been on my mind for a few years, and it's finally come to fruition. First, some background.

If the bag is kept on the truck full time, the sun's uv rays will destroy the straps over the period of a summer. They were literally turning into dust when touched, or cracking like an old piece of parchment. This is my second Trasharoo, which was a free replacement since I had the same issue with the first. When talking with a rep about the straps, he said they are now all black and no longer color matched. The replacement still had the colored straps. I emailed the rep about it and he said they were still going through old stock, and if it happens again to just let them know and they'll replace it again. The night before the Lost Coast trip, I gave my Trasharoo a slight tug to test the strength of the strap. Of course it tore completely off, so that finally got me to find a permanent fix for the straps.

On the OE/Mojave trip earlier this year, Sean suggested the idea of using an old seat belt as a replacement. I thought it was perfect since they are super strong and uv stable. Chris offered some of his old ones, but that slipped my mind. A quick search led me to StrapWorks.com, where they offered a large selection of straps and webbing. They offer a poly seat belt material that seemed to fit the bill in a large variety of colors. As a bonus they also sell replacement hardware for the buckles. The ones on my bag never had an issue, but I liked the idea of an all metal buckle.

I measured the straps and placed an order for 16' of the 2" strap with 2 buckles, 4 slide adjusters, and 4' of the 1.5" strap with 2 buckles. There's an extra 4' of 2" strap that was going to be used as reinforcement strips. With shipping it was just under $50. With a nice set of kitchen shears the straps were cut to length and a lighter prevented them from fraying. That was the easy part. Next was the task of finding somewhere that would be able to stitch the straps onto the bag.

There's a shoe repair shop near my work, so I stopped in there and asked if they could do it. They said "one month", which I took to mean they weren't interested in the job. They said to go next door to an alteration shop. I was told it would have to be sent out over the weekend, be done by hand and cost about $40. I figured if it had to be done by hand that I would do it instead. On the way back to the office I picked up some leather needles and heavy waxed cotton thread. That night I set about getting the straps attached to the bag.

With the help of an X-Acto handle and pliers I eventually figured out a process, but it still took almost 1 hour to complete one end of a strap. Using actual seat belts would have been impossible to stitch by hand. I also decided to ditch the reinforcement straps as they would have taken entirely too long to stitch. Over the course of two very late nights, I had the bag completed:)

Here are a few shots of the bag and straps. It'll go on the spare sometime today, and I'll be sure to update this post if needed.

When mine breaks again I will fix it, again. I like the metal buckle idea but I tink I will change thet straps around. I don't have a swing out so buckling the straps and tightening them, behind the tire, is one of the more difficult things to do on my rover. Why not put the buckle at the top or bottom? Sillyness trasharoo just sillyness.

Because when you live in the Bayview, you don't want the buckles easily visible, or some $h!thead will take it off your truck. I don't have a swing out, just a larger offset wheel which does make it easier. Here it is on the truck.

• 1 month later...

Brenton, I have been INSPIRED by this thread lurking in the back of my mind and will be attempting to reattach straps to the one you gave me.

I made an impromptu bike rack out of a ratchet strap webbing a while back which was simple looping the strap around the back of the spare and connecting to the top-tube of the bike. As I have bored folks with recently, I think the same principal applies to the Trasharoo. The problem I have with the 245/75 on the stock rear tire carriers is I cannot feed the straps behind the spare... uh oh... So, using the bike rack principle of looping a strap horizontally from top left around back to top right and synch down. Then, to keep that strap in place, a center strap from the center bottom of bag back up to the horizontal strap above and synch in place from the bottom. Voila! Keeps bag tight on tire and keeps strap tight as well.

With this in mind I set out to mock that up and came across a new idea that will work for me; Since I still have the stock "5 spoke" rims I can just loop two straps through the wheel.

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-JzwB54C/0/M/WP_20150113_14_53_48_Pro__highres-M.jpg

I have not decided on doing anything at the bottom of the bag and don't think I will. The original straps don't take too much of the load down there and I'm sure sure how important it will be to try to minimize "flopping" by only being affixed a the top...

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-BpZvnPB/0/M/WP_20150113_14_48_12_Pro__highres-M.jpg

Worst case scenario and easiest is I can clip the two OEM straps together and run another loop through the tire holding the connected straps to the bottom of tire.. we'll see when I get there....

Now, what has so far made this project promising is the discovery of the "Speedy Stitcher" sewing Awl. Lock stitch stitches by hand and made for heavy material like these bags and webbing..

Video:

If this is as easy as it appears, I too will be getting accolades from BlondRover! :-)

Thanks and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Tom

Cool idea Tom. That seeing tool is pretty neat but I think my project would end up with way more blood on it than in the video. I have always struggled to get my trasharoo bag on tight working behind the tire. After Brenton's write up I came up with an idea I think will make things way easier for me in the future. Instead of using a buckle I intend to attach a rachet strap and its rachet. Just connect the hook, a couple of clicks and Bobs your uncle.

once work B! The stitching is not quite as even as I would like to see but it will do! I gave up trying to cross my straps in the back of the tire so I put them on like a backpack and use a piece of paracord to pull the straps together at the top. They won't slip off and it makes it easy to remove when I want. Oh, and I don't leave it on the truck all the time.

[Nice] work B! The stitching is not quite as even as I would like to see but it will do!

Stitches like that look a bit familiar Doc?? :-)

I have found that even the buckles are too thick to fit between my spare tire and the body/door...

My Speedy Stitcher arrived today and Brenton, I am going to get one of these for you! Super Easy!

I test fit where I wanted my fancy Trasharoo to hang and held it with clips. I didn't want/have time to make/borrow a "Stitching Pony" (Yes, it's real, No. I'm not a Bronie) but did clamp a couple of pieces of scrap to get things started. Took about 10 min per side plus time for setting up the wood etc... Actually much easier once the wood is gone but needed to get it started

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-jp2gws4/0/M/WP_20150114_13_51_27_Pro__highres-M.jpg

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-L2VpwGf/0/M/WP_20150114_13_51_14_Pro__highres-M.jpg

With visions of guide marks and straight lines dancing in my head... I learned it takes a little more practice to hold the project, thread the line, pull tight and not distort the webbing etc... so my reality is a little different than my intention.

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-xxmGr2j/0/M/WP_20150114_14_20_34_Pro__highres-M.jpg

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-hkKBMvr/0/M/WP_20150114_14_20_02_Pro__highres-M.jpg

Since I can't reach or feed the buckles between the tire and the body along the sides or bottom, going through the spokes became the design. I like how it mounts on the spare tire and I don't think it will slip and rotate forward... we'll see.

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-dzWJqWX/0/M/WP_20150114_14_26_36_Pro__highres-M.jpg

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-CDbgrm7/0/M/WP_20150114_14_26_13_Pro__highres-M.jpg

Now I can keep my usual Dollar Store mesh laundry bag in the truck as a back up and proudly display this well traveled and faded Hand-me-down Icon of Treading Lightly on the Ass-end of my rig. Fancy that ;-)

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Trasharoo/i-Vp9LSps/0/M/WP_20150114_14_25_52_Pro__highres-M.jpg

PS< My CA4X4 potato sack is still folded in the truck if anyone wants it... Pay it forward ;-) ::amuse::

Sweet Tom! I had one heck of a time trying to hold everything in place too while getting the stitching started. Plus I didn't have that fancy tool. My stitches look like a cartoon, but have been holding up fine so far:) But they haven't had an actual weight test yet.

Archived