Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake Snow Run, Jan 30 - Feb 1, 2015

Yay, we're close enough to the trip to start planning the caravan up to Camp Edison! Given the time it takes to get the group moving at each stop, we need to keep a tight schedule so we have enough light to do the recce Friday late afternoon.

Gilroy Rendezvous Point - Meet @ 9:30am, Leave at 10:00am

Vieira’s Shell Gas Station

101 South exit 356, to 10th St/ CA-152 E

850 Pacheco Pass Hwy

Gilroy, CA. 95020

Madera Rendezvous Point - Meet @11:30am, Leave at 12:00pm

Valero Gas Station

I-5 South exit 403A, to CA-152 E/CA-33 S to Los Banos/Fresno

1502 E. Yosemite Ave.

Madera, CA. 93638

From Madera, it's a tad over an hour to Camp Edison.

The attached pic has the addresses and directions to Camp Edison, and to the trail head.

Cool. We'll be at Madera - probably early. :)

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well im back been gone since the 5th. My grandmother was sick but shes back to her old self. Now just have to swap all my parts from my old truck to the new one in 10 days should be fun.

Welcome back, glad to hear the good news. Let me know if you need a pair of hands on the swap.

I will be at the Madera Rendezvous Point :)

So juiced

Got the D1 finished and running smoothly this weekend. Now to just pack and prepare.

Will I need chains forsure? If so I'll have to go buy a set, I figure my tires can handle but never done a bigger run in the snow before, actually any run with my new lift yet.

I will be at the Madera Rendezvous Point :)

So juiced

Got the D1 finished and running smoothly this weekend. Now to just pack and prepare.

Will I need chains forsure? If so I'll have to go buy a set, I figure my tires can handle but never done a bigger run in the snow before, actually any run with my new lift yet.

Not for sure unless you're running a basic all-season street tire, then I'd say bring chains. But if you've got decent tires on the rig I'd say chances are you won't need them.

They are helpful, especially in icy conditions, but I'd say few people will be running them since most are on at least AT tires if not full MTs. Though to be fair a lot of MTs are pretty poor in hard pack or icy since they usually don't have much siping.

Don't sweat the chains too much. Running one of the AT/MT tires, coupled with the ability to air down, will get you very far on this trip. Sasquatch aired down his LR3's tires 3-4 times until he hit 12psi and was then able to drive without getting stuck. Given the number of trucks, and how chewed up the snow will be, chains won't help unless they can grab the asphalt or trail. And if the snow is that low then you'd hardly need them to begin with.

However...if we get snow up there (and that's a pretty big if) before the trip, State law could require us to carry chains on the highway, even if we don't actually need them.

The only time you actually have to chain up is level R-3, and generally they will close roads before they enact chain control level R-3. Chain level R-2 requires that if you have a 4wd vehicle with snow tires (M+S rating or Mountain Snowflake diagram) then you are only required to have chains in the truck. I've got a pair that i keep in the back of the truck "just in case" they were to actually want to see them. I've never been asked to produce them but you never know. Look around on CL.. you can find chains super cheap on there..

However...if we get snow up there (and that's a pretty big if) before the trip, State law could require us to carry chains on the highway, even if we don't actually need them.

To be honest, I don't have chains for my rig at all and couldn't fit them even if I wanted to. I guess I could toss a pair from Michele's work car in just to point at if I were stopped.

From Caltrans:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Types of Chain Controls:

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Snow-tread Tires:

The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

Tire Traction Devices:

The California vehicle code section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: " Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

If you would like to view a full version of the California Vehicle Code it can be located at the following location, under California Law: http//www.leginfo.ca.gov

If you're planning to meet somewhere else, let me know so I know where to expect you, and can update the list.

Camp Edison

Lutz Haas

Jake Jackson (SCLR)

Garrett Brambila (SCLR)

Scott Horsley (SCLR)

Gilroy

Brenton Corns

Jared Williams

Graeme Ware

Mike McClung

Dan Harris

Antonio Anguiano

Michal Cieplinski

Tyler Mobraten

Madera

Colin Brown

Justin Cambra

Don Happle

Paul Freeman

Nick D'Amico

Rupert Jung

Not sure why you've got me down for Gilroy, that's way out of my way. I'll be going over to I5 at Williams and then cut over to 99 at Stockton. Not sure yet if I'll make the meetup in Madera, though I'll shoot for that. Otherwise I'll just see y'all at Camp Edison.

Not sure why you've got me down for Gilroy, that's way out of my way. I'll be going over to I5 at Williams and then cut over to 99 at Stockton. Not sure yet if I'll make the meetup in Madera, though I'll shoot for that. Otherwise I'll just see y'all at Camp Edison.

Wasn't sure if you'd stay at Chuck's and drive out with Tyler. And, I'm just making sure everyone is paying attention;)

I am off that Friday but will be headed down 5 to cut across. I can meet you all in Los Banos if I know what time. Otherwise, I will have to wander on my own. and even if we do meet up, my old truck probably can't go fast enough for you folks. Especially uphill!

So, take me off Gilroy sir, as I won't be there

If you're planning to meet somewhere else, let me know so I know where to expect you, and can update the list.

Camp Edison

Lutz Haas

Jake Jackson (SCLR)

Garrett Brambila (SCLR)

Scott Horsley (SCLR)

Gilroy

Brenton Corns

Jared Williams

Graeme Ware

Mike McClung

Dan Harris

Antonio Anguiano

Michal Cieplinski

Tyler Mobraten

Madera

Colin Brown

Justin Cambra

Don Happle

Paul Freeman

Nick D'Amico

Rupert Jung

Brenton,

Lucas has skool (gotta edukate them kids), so we won't be leaving until late afternoon .... keep the campfire burning for us ....it might be made by the time we get there

Graeme

Brenton,

Lucas has skool (gotta edukate them kids), so we won't be leaving until late afternoon .... keep the campfire burning for us ....it might be made by the time we get there

Graeme

I also have school, and will probably be leaving from Woodside around 3:30 if you want to convoy.

-Tyler

Camp Edison

Lutz Haas

Jake Jackson (SCLR)

Garrett Brambila (SCLR)

Scott Horsley (SCLR)

Gilroy

Brenton Corns

Jared Williams

Graeme Ware

Mike McClung

Dan Harris

Antonio Anguiano

Michal Cieplinski

Tyler Mobraten

Madera

Colin Brown

Justin Cambra

Don Happle

Paul Freeman

Nick D'Amico

Rupert Jung

As we reach closer to the Shaver Lake weekend, I'd like to remind our members that our Bylaws state that our members be current with their memberships and in good standing. If you have not paid your dues yet for this year and are planning on attending this trip, please make sure you do so prior to January 31st. If you are unsure if you have paid your dues and would like me to check our records, please send me a private message.

Thanks,

Erin

I also have school, and will probably be leaving from Woodside around 3:30 if you want to convoy.

-Tyler

I will be picking up the kids from school at 3:30 in San Mateo and can head down and meet up for a convoy.

Mark

Brenton,

Graeme

I'll have someone in the caravan get your campsite paperwork and save your spot in 224.

I'll take his spot and turn it into the labor and delivery room. I'll be close to all my homies when my son arrives. Damn I want to go to this trip. Next time.

Archived