Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake Snow Run, Jan 30 - Feb 1, 2015

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So each person needs to send a fax to the camp to reserve a campsite for this trip? Is there a limit of how many tents/cars are at a site?

No. I'm sending the reservation request with the sites we need. It will have the contact info for each person reserving a site. I've sent PM's to the ones getting a site.

There are typically 2-3 trucks per site. Here's the breakdown of the attendees and campsites. The first person for each site is the one with the reservation in their name.

227 Brenton Corns Mike McClung Antonio Anguiano

225 Jared Williams Alyson Hamilton Anudeep

229 Lutz Haas Justin Don Happle

231G Colin Brown Paul Freeman Enrique Gomez

224 Graeme Ware Michal Cieplinski

226 Jason Fuller Dan Harris

222 Chuck Mobraten Tyler Mobraten

230G Jake Jackson (SCLR) Garrett (SCLR)

We won't go a day early. We get to camp around 2-3, and would have enough time to make it to Rock Creek Rd. and see the conditions there. I know that Bald Mountain is going to have a LOT of snow this year. There's been about 3" of snow in December alone, which means 3' of snow in the higher elevations. I'm expecting a wall of snow to climb over to get on to Rock Creek Rd. Dinkey Creek Rd. is usually plowed and isn't a problem.

So I talked to the wifey and we (me, wife, toddler) would like to come. Can I still make camping reservations? I would prefer our own spot in case Brooklyn doesn't want to sleep and bothers other campers. Will there be any other young kids there for her to play with?

I will have the compos and AT tires on by then. I have iidtool so I can lift it more but other than that the truck will be stock. I won't have sliders or a winch,etc. by then. Will that be a problem? Also recovery points- do they exist on a stock LR4?

This will be our first family camping trip in the snow.

I don't know what the score will be on the kids front so I'll leave that to others.

I wouldn't worry about the sliders or armor. Being a snow run you won't have much to worry about in that department. The lift and tires will be helpful but I expect the snow to be deep enough that we'll be more bulldozer than anything else. A winch may come in handy but there will be plenty of other trucks with winches so that's covered as well. Probably the best thing you can bring is a shovel! Although difficult to fit on the LR3/4, chains are far better than anything else for forward progress. However if you look at the clearance with the bigger tires, especially around the front upper ball joints, you'll soon realize that it's not easy to find something that will work. You can get some nifty chains that only fit around the outside of the wheel (I've seen them in action but still don't know how they work) from the dealer or direct from the OEM they buy them from but they are brutally expensive. Micheal has a set for his LR4 and can probably tell you more about them.

You should have stock recovery points for front and rear. Both of them have plastic covers over them but they just pop off with quarter-turn fasteners and you're good to go.

The actual snow-run could turn into a lot of sitting and waiting depending on the exact conditions if we bet bogged down, so I'd say bring entertainment for the kid (ipad or whatever he likes). As for the camping, there is electricity available so you can have some heat in the tent. The power is limited, so not everybody can run a space heater at once or the breakers will go down. The bathrooms are also heated and have hot showers available which can be a _good thing_. Last year we only had a light dusting of snow come down while we were camped, but the temp did dip into the teens so be prepared for some chilly conditions.

Tips for snow-wheeling in the late model trucks with Terrain Response - first, disable the stability control. Second, don't automatically go for the 'snow' mode if you're trying to climb a grade. Sand mode seems a little better. Snow it too eager to back off the power and then right when you need to conserve momentum and keep some wheel speed up the computer cuts throttle on you. Very frustrating! I think snow mode is OK for snowy roads but not so good for trails where you want some wheel spin. Sand will give you a softer launch but will let you keep RPMs up more. When all else fails, I go for rock-crawl mode as it's the most aggressive with the lockers. It could be a little too much on a slick side-hill though, so back to sand or snow for that sort of situation. Our computers actually do a really good job of getting through areas that are challenging for traditional locked-up trucks, but the inability to run really tall tires and the sheer weight of these things works against us.

After reading Don's post which is good info I'll have to add that chains only work in ice. Which this year will most likely be more powder. And in powder you need to float. So air down as much as possible and bring something that will fill it back up. Remember, snow is freezing cold and wet. Pack accordingly. Each camp site has two 20amp breakers. I would recommend something like a heated blanket. Get off the ground and your fine in the tent. Expect deep soft snow. Bring a shovel that will help you dig yourself out if needed. Bring gloves and sunglasses. We usually have a group campfire and huddle together around it. Flashlights are great for walking in the campsite to avoid hazards. Most have headlamps with bright LED's. Last year my wife brought an electric kettle for hot water which worked amazingly prefect and faster than a jet boil for large amounts. She bought it at Costco for roughly $20.

All that is just part of the fun. Really just enjoy yourself there. Your with a great group of friends that will go to many extremes to help you out. We have many qualified drivers and spotters.

After reading Don's post which is good info I'll have to add that chains only work in ice. Which this year will most likely be more powder. And in powder you need to float. So air down as much as possible and bring something that will fill it back up. Remember, snow is freezing cold...

Adding to the wise words of Pedram, if you already have chains, I recommend bringing them. There was a spot on trail that either the Jeepers or Chris' CT110 chewed up trying to climb the hill -- the incline melted & turned to ice. Throwing chains on Red Rover made it a total non-event to pass (and if you know the Red Rover, we're running close to stock tires.)

-Jared

Adding to the wise words of Pedram, if you already have chains, I recommend bringing them. There was a spot on trail that either the Jeepers or Chris' CT110 chewed up trying to climb the hill -- the incline melted & turned to ice. Throwing chains on Red Rover made it a total non-event to pass (and if you know the Red Rover, we're running close to stock tires.)

-Jared

Exactly. At that time your truck was pretty close to stock and you went up that hill with no problems at all. We watched plenty of other rigs winch up that hill, including a pretty built 'yota (of course, he was trying to crawl it..if he'd used more skinny peddle I think he could have made it under his own power)

You mean the one that thought he was invincible but ended up blocking the trial because he couldn't get it running again? Yeah that might be the skinny pedal. And how can we forget Duck Dynasty with his jeep.

There is that one part on the rocks that held up everyone which have some people time to consider using chains at that point. I did forget that icy patch, so yes bring your chains just in case. Sometimes traction is all you need.

Interesting enough, my phone must of found an old message from camp Edison. I have their direct phone number of you need it for reservations Brenton. I can post it here or text your phone directly if you already don't have it.

I have seen guys bring their kids the last few years. The main thing to keep in mind is it will be cold at night. There is flushing bathrooms with prepaid shower cards available. Warm showers. Power at each camp site and you are not far from town. Roads up there are sometimes slippery and I have seen Colin almost loose his truck and trailer around a corner on the way in. Nothing happened and no one hurt but it's just a caution.

I have seen guys bring their kids the last few years. The main thing to keep in mind is it will be cold at night. There is flushing bathrooms with prepaid shower cards available. Warm showers. Power at each camp site and you are not far from town. Roads up there are sometimes slippery and I have seen Colin almost loose his truck and trailer around a corner on the way in. Nothing happened and no one hurt but it's just a caution.

I had a lot of weight on top (and a HUGE Pelican/Hardigg case) last year and just took it nice and slow getting up to camp. No issues.

It's that black ice, man. Gotta be vigilant!

-Jared

Alive and well. I have been working on an old shovelhead chopper project and haven't spent much time on the truck. Headed up to Graeagle for some exploring tomorrow morning. Heater core by passed. Down jacket and Sorels ready

http://dino2000.smugmug.com/Other/The-Iron-Lady/22272536_QrPNzN/2741980450_PSBtXBp

Archived