Boles Fire (City of Weed in Northern California) Rover Relief

Weed is a beautiful little town nestled in the Cascades north of Redding close to Mt Shasta. I have stopped by there to fuel up on the way to and back from the Oregon Discovery Trip in the past. Fire has devastated this small town.

Anyone interested in helping out; thinking of gathering canned food/water items, recruiting a few LR club members to driver and haul the goods, and convoy up to the City of Weed or sending gift cards. 479+ acres burned. 150 structures have been destroyed; families displaced. Fire fighters as of last night has the fire 85% contained; however, 1,000 single residences & 100 nonresidential commercial property are still threatened. Let's hold off on driving till we hear further news; in the meantime gauging interest.

Cal Fire site for updates: http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1063

Official Distribution Centers:

-Food and Water only

Great Northern

310 Boles Street, Weed

-Everything EXCEPT Food/Water

550 Park Street suite B, Weed

Drop points can continue to take donations; appears plenty of cloth donations received so far: https://www.facebook.com/WRDCCH

Images from start of the fire and mid:

http://www.krcrtv.com/image/view/-/28079280/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/9n7nd3z/-/Weed-High-School-Boles-Fire-jpg.jpg

http://www.krcrtv.com/image/view/-/28074258/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/gcfvia/-/boles-fire-jpg.jpg

http://www.krcrtv.com/image/view/-/28079350/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/ds2tdv/-/Boles-fire-night3-jpg.jpg

http://www.krcrtv.com/image/view/-/28079352/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/e85oop/-/Boles-Fire-night4-jpg.jpg

in the meantime gauging interest.

Hi Ron;

Those photos are heartbreaking and it's personally unfathomable that someone would intentionally do this. Sounds like a job for Rovers Relief -- Erin & I will obviously provide support up to and including a convoy run to deliver goods.

-Jared

Michele and I will help if we can. Haven't been to Weed in a few years but I know what it's like when a small town is basically wiped out from the tornados back in Indiana. It's just ... gone.

Jared, I didn't hear that this fire was arson. Are you thinking of the King fire up by Placerville? They made an arrest in that one just yesterday I believe. I understand that fire has the Rubicon closed currently and is a long way from contained.

Michele and I will help if we can. Haven't been to Weed in a few years but I know what it's like when a small town is basically wiped out from the tornados back in Indiana. It's just ... gone.

Jared, I didn't hear that this fire was arson. Are you thinking of the King fire up by Placerville? They made an arrest in that one just yesterday I believe. I understand that fire has the Rubicon closed currently and is a long way from contained.

Don, you're likely right -- there are so many wildfires burning I may have confused them. Thanks for clarifying.

-Jared

Ok just got an update:

"Weed food distribution wants everyone to HOLD all food donations for another week. The distribution site is moving".

Good to hear in the sense that people outside of the City of Weed are helping out. I can imagine the need and challenge of storage, sorting, and distribution so let's hold off. More updates to come while the organizers sort out the donations & logistics, etc..

Also the organizers realize that winter is coming so they will need on-going help for the displaced residents for shelter/food and construction support. This works out for us in the sense that we can pick-up where they will need help in a Oct to winter which is just a week 1/2 away.

As a club, we have a very busy October with our Annual Gathering on the 3rd-5th, Tepui Fest 11-12 and a day at NASA on the 18th of October. Oct 25-26 maybe the only time for me.

In the meantime while we wait, we can look into scheduling the drop off. Will Oct 25 or 26 (Sat or Sun) work? I am flexible on either day.

Also if you guys/gals want to make a wknd out of this, we could drop off the goods Saturday morning (Weed is about 3 1/2 hrs from Sacramento), meet & talk to the relief coordinators, and the head out to Lava Beds National Monument (2 1/2 hours away), drive between CA/OR border, explore a bit and camp overnight at Lava Beds NH. Continue exploring Sunday morning and head back to the Sac/Bay Area after lunch.

Or open for suggestions. Anything to help break the trip to/from Weed, and have an overnight rest somewhere yet explore while in the area.

Keep in mind, Lava Beds Monument is remote; no gas stations, no restaurant and showers. So we will be in Overlanding mode.

Need to know: http://www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

Things to do: http://www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Camping: http://www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Obviously we won't be able to do all the activities the park has to offer but pick one or two that works out time wise: http://www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/upload/THINGS%20TO%20SEE%20AND%20DO.pdf

Photos: http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=C346EC46-155D-4519-3E2653CCC78DB7BA

I think the closest activities near the visitor center are: caves, lava flow and crater viewing.

Hopefully this teaser/recon of Lava Beds could lead into future NCLR trip.

Anyone interested in making a wknd out of this trip?

Ron,

I would love to put together a donation barrel at Mexxis and include some donation of our own. I have a cousin that lives in Weed, fortunately, her house was spared but many of her friends lost their homes.

Thanks for organising this!

I just looked at my calendar and realized I have every weekend in Oct. booked. Not sure how to make that work with this.

I do like the idea of making a weekend out of it. There's plenty of good stuff up that way to explore like Lava Beds, Lassen, Shasta, Trinity Alps, etc. If we push too late though we do risk snow shutting things down. At least we can hope so!

Ron,

I would love to put together a donation barrel at Mexxis and include some donation of our own. I have a cousin that lives in Weed, fortunately, her house was spared but many of her friends lost their homes.

Thanks for organizing this!

That would be fantastic Enrique. We can take the donations from barrel and others to the City of Weed (drop off data TBD). Looks like Rovers Relief Mission on duty again. Perhaps pick a Friday date where club members can drop off goods in the barrel, catch-up and also have a nice dinner at Mexxis.

Ron,

Beware of Oct. colder weather conditions at nite. Post Weed, I suggest take 97 n to Military Pass Rd which is on north side of Mt Shasta. Head east on forest rds to Mt. Hoffman/Medicine Lake, then north on Medicine Lk Rd to enter from south Lava Beds NM. Visit caves,Capt Jacks Stronghold, then east to petroglyphs and then maybe visit the arrested decay Japanese Interment Camp of WWII at TuleLake.(Mil pass rd to Lavabeds is FS type rds). You can heads south from there til 299 then to Redding and I5 south to BA or Sacto.

PM me if you need a place to stay pre or post Weed.

Thanks Rupert; I am going to have to map out the route you noted; looks to be a nice invitation to off-pavement driving.

And thanks for the offer for a place. If we do end up staying, will help contribute to SS (in beer units) since you mentioned spending it faster than uncle sam can print money (smile). Thanks!

I just looked at my calendar and realized I have every weekend in Oct. booked. Not sure how to make that work with this.

I do like the idea of making a weekend out of it. There's plenty of good stuff up that way to explore like Lava Beds, Lassen, Shasta, Trinity Alps, etc. If we push too late though we do risk snow shutting things down. At least we can hope so!

I know Oct is busy for everyone and November doesn't look any better. Will see - may end up to be a mini-Shaver Lake run if we end up doing this in Dec (smile).

Seed the Weed NGO website

I tried typing this into Google and didn't find anything related to the town. Plenty of other interesting info though... ::bigsmile::

Rupert, do you have the link handy?

Ron, as for the timing, we'll just wait to hear back from you. A run in the earlier weeks of December might work out well if it aligns with their need.

Thanks

-Jared

The SAR member told me that citizens of Weed may need "barn-raising" type help or cleanup type. More hammer and nails labor needed.

I'm not a carpenter but I can play one on TV....

I don't know what the plan may be when the time comes, especially given that it will likely be winter, but I'm not against a little construction work.

I gave up TV but I'd be more than happy to help out. Construction skills, Dump trailers, Trucks, tree felling etc. Unfortunately I am absolutely slammed until 1/10/15. At least... Food donations, clothing etc. I can provide before that. If anyone is heading that way perhaps I can help load you up. I'm kinda out of the way (Sonora. Think Rim Fire...), but could potentially meet up in the Modesto, Stockton area. Just thinking out loud... Keep me in mind.

-Mike

I gave up TV but I'd be more than happy to help out. Construction skills, Dump trailers, Trucks, tree felling etc. Unfortunately I am absolutely slammed until 1/10/15. At least... Food donations, clothing etc. I can provide before that. If anyone is heading that way perhaps I can help load you up. I'm kinda out of the way (Sonora. Think Rim Fire...), but could potentially meet up in the Modesto, Stockton area. Just thinking out loud... Keep me in mind.

-Mike

Thanks Mike for the offer; will keep you in mind. Yes, been slammed also (have not managed to make it to the post office to ship the Xjack - ::amazed::). We might do a two part Rovers Relief; drop off food before the end of the year and maybe construction help in the spring where you and others can help; will see; waiting for our contacts.

In the meantime folks, really appreciate the offers from Don & Michele, Jared & Erin, Rupert, Enrique, Mike and others to help any town/city in need. I was driving back home from work the other day and this music came on; reminded me of the people who lost their homes and how fortunately we are to come home to one. Enjoy the music by Philip Philips - Home.

[video=youtube_share;HoRkntoHkIE]

Archived