Special Edition Defender

DiscoChef

Funny that they LR would create a Special Edition just before they go out of production and only 50 units ::nuts::

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/land-rover-announces-limited-edition-defender-africa/#!bMiGYZ

Oh Enrique, that's SO August 26th! NCLR reposted it on Google+ :

Land Rover Defender Africa Limited Edition » Motorward

(I don't do much social network stuff, but now that NCLR is on Google+ I happened to run across it.) ::bigsmile::

Looks cool in black with the red top. As for doing the 'special edition' when the model bows out, why not? Plenty of people have done it with the end of a model. And really, this looks like nothing more than a paint and graphics package, so there's nothing special about it. They mention 'options' for hardware, but I would think those options were available for any Defender.

Fingers crossed the new Defender is up to the legacy of the old one...and available here.

Looks cool in black with the red top. As for doing the 'special edition' when the model bows out, why not? Plenty of people have done it with the end of a model. And really, this looks like nothing more than a paint and graphics package, so there's nothing special about it. They mention 'options' for hardware, but I would think those options were available for any Defender.

Fingers crossed the new Defender is up to the legacy of the old one...and available here.

Over on the LR4 forum some guy posted that he was part of a focus group recently and Land Rover showed them some prototypes of a few different types of Defenders bound for the states and he said they looked pretty nice. They do have a bit more of that rounded look, but overall most of the group liked the design and felt it lived up to the heritage. He said they were not allowed to have cameras at all, but the prototypes (a 2-door and 4-door, like the 90 and 110) had plenty of recovery hooks and pretty rugged. He said the focus group overwhelmingly hated the new Discovery Concept vehicle. I do know that the LR guys said that the design is locked down, but I am SOOOOO curious for spy shots - I will know right away if it's something I will consider.

So how much do you have to pay for some mismatched paint and fancy wheels? Seems like a gimmick. Couldn't they offer a mild lift and some diff lockers? Jeep did that with their rubicon edition and they sell the heck out of those things. Seems like more form than function again from the brand that now targets Mrs Beckem and the like.

So how much do you have to pay for some mismatched paint and fancy wheels? Seems like a gimmick. Couldn't they offer a mild lift and some diff lockers? Jeep did that with their rubicon edition and they sell the heck out of those things. Seems like more form than function again from the brand that now targets Mrs Beckem and the like.

I believe it has lockers (?). There are some hardware options per the article; I suspect they are just the normal catalog offerings that you can get for any Defender though. Being that this is an 'end of the line' edition, I doubt they want to spend any money offering anything truly new. As they say in the motorcycle world, it's got BNG - Bold New Graphics.

But it does look good in black/red. So long as they don't upcharge the heck out of you for what amounts to paint and a sticker, why not?

Now let's continue the speculation about what the next gen will be. That's much more fun. And by the time it actually gets here I'll probably have used up my LR3 seeing how it already has over 110K on it. :)

And to be fair, the Rubicon gets more than just a mild lift and lockers. It gets those things, plus sliders, sway bar disconnects, a stronger front axle, larger mud terrain tires, different gearing, and different low range gearing. Maybe a few other little things I can't think of off the top of my head. It is a fairly extensive upgrade, and they sell it as a package cheaper than you'd buy all the stuff for separately (if you were buying new and having it installed). The fact that they sell the snot out of them is the whole reason I think LR could move plenty of the new Defender in our country if they position it right re: equipment/price. I'd love to see the new Defender take on the Rubicon head-to-head. Give me a little more cargo capacity and a little more civility but match the off-road capabilities of the Jeep, and keep it within say $5-7K of the equivalent Jeep and I think you've got a recipe that will sell here, especially given that the public in general is becoming infatuated with 'overlanding'. This looks like the ideal time to cash in on that trend with the vehicle that arguably started the genre. Plus it would work well as a halo vehicle for LR for those customers who think the brand is getting too far away from it's roots on the luxury path instead of the utility path. So even if you don't sell a ton of them it will help bolster the image of the rest of the brand.

Archived