Lost Coast Trip November 2014

Been raining on/off weekly since Oct but not daily or enough rain to make make the road really muddy and challenging.

That's ok; should be beautiful scenery and most likely run into Roosevelt Elks.

Expect 10% chance of rain this Friday and 50% chance rain this Saturday according to the weather report.

Appears group A is more than 9, the 1st campground on Usal Rd (before crossing the wooden bridge) will be be able to accommodate the large group.

See you all at the Lost Coast!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK so as best as I can tell, here is the updated list of people going - Let me know if i'm missing anyone.

Todd from Tepui is coming in with group A.

Ron, not sure if your remembered this; he contacted me via E-mail to confirm?

Tracy and I will be heading out of Wilton and once in the general local will monitor 444.800

Don and Michele will plan to meet the Oakland group en-route. I'll plan to hit Petaluma about 11. It should be about an hour drive from Oakland, so you should just be rolling through there. Don't worry about trying to find us....we'll find you. If we miss you, we'll just rendezvous at Laytonville.

I won't have a license, but I may have a hh radio for the weekend...assuming I actually get it and figure out how to program it and for what channel, etc. Otherwise, Petaluma isn't exactly the outback - I hear they have cell service round those parts.

444.800?? Usual club freq on 2m is 146.460. I'll plug that one in on the other side of the rig and listen just in case (and sure Jared will too :-)

Don, if you get the hh, vfo and punch in 146.460 (simplex, no offsets or pl's etc..)

Cool

I will have my ham radio on 146.460 also

Jared/Erin, Sean, Alyson: Let.me know your route from South bay and I'll meet up. I'll likely take Dumbarton and can meet somewhere in the east side of.that.

Also: Is anyone going the extra effort to carry extra fuel? Meaning, if you don't already have designated an holders or already carry extra fuel in the aforementioned, is it recommended to throw a can on the rack and bring it? Thx

My daughter and I will be coming up highway 128 to highway 1, then up the coast to Usal Road, so we will not be at the meet up spot in Laytonville at 2pm. We should be at the campground by 3pm or so. My cell # is 707-486-9463. See you all there!

Also: Is anyone going the extra effort to carry extra fuel? Meaning, if you don't already have designated an holders or already carry extra fuel in the aforementioned, is it recommended to throw a can on the rack and bring it? Thx

I'm bring one or two cans of fuel with me. Probably not needed, but I like to err on the side of being prepared just in case.

Jared/Erin, Sean, Alyson: Let.me know your route from South bay and I'll meet up. I'll likely take Dumbarton and can meet somewhere in the east side of.that.

My plan is to take 880 N to 92 E (turns into 238) then 580 N to 13.

My cell is 650.862.6967.

I am planning on getting on 17/880 at Hamilton

I think you said you were leaving at 0830 and assume you will link up with Jerin and Alyson along 880. Let me know when you think you'll pass 880/84-decoto rd and I'll plan to pick you up there. I'll target 0850

I'll monitor 146.460s as well as the N6NFI repeater (Jared) so we can triangulate and possibly join the rolling convoy :-)

Thanks, Tom

NCLR Board Member

Director of Affairs

I think you said you were leaving at 0830 and assume you will link up with Jerin and Alyson along 880. Let me know when you think you'll pass 880/84-decoto rd and I'll plan to pick you up there. I'll target 0850

The meeting point with Solis is approximately 1Hr without traffic from my house. I figure i will try to leave around 8:30-45 which should be plenty of time.

I'm going to leave Santa Clara at 9.30 ish. Head up 280. I assume ok to bring dog ? Try and arrive at laytonville 2pm

My cell is (408) 391-1943. What is repeater frequency to monitor ?

Thx - Martin

Hey Martin, glad you can make it.

I will let you workput the details of the caravan with S Bay folks. Won't be part of Friday Group A due to change in work schedule but will see you Saturday.

As for ham radio, we will be turned on to 146.460 (club designated freq).

Make sure to keep an eye on your dog and keep it on lease; there will be Roosevelt Elks in the Lost Coast and they are not afraid especially the male bulls: http://lostcoasttrails.wordpress.com/wildlife-natrual-surroundings/

I'm going to leave Santa Clara at 9.30 ish. Head up 280. I assume ok to bring dog ? Try and arrive at laytonville 2pm

My cell is (408) 391-1943. What is repeater frequency to monitor ?

Thx - Martin

Hi Martin,

Not sure on Dog but I'm guessing it will be fine - bring leash and all that...

As for HAM, 146.460 is the simplex frequency adopted by the club. I will also monitor the N6NFI (145.230 PL100) repeater then probably switch to the Mt. Diablo one when I get up to Oakland area. You are welcome to caravan with this small group otherwise we'll see you in Laytonville, Tom

THANKS B, ONE CAN OF FUEL AND ONE OF WATER STRAPPED UP TOP...

NCLR Board Member

Director of Affairs

You won't need it if you completely fill-up in Laytonville on Friday. But better safe than sorry plus the cost of fuel maybe a bit higher in Gaberville, CA (where we will refuel after we get out of the Lost Coast).

By the way, from Laytonville to Leggett/entrance to Usal Rd is about 35 miles (all paved road)

And the entrance from Hwy 1 unto Usal Rd to Friday night's Usal campground, and then to Saturday night Nadelos campground is about 30 miles (add +5 miles exploring or getting lost no pun intended) (90% off road).

From Nadelos campground to Shelter Cover and to Garberville where we will jump on 101S back home is about 30 miles (all paved road).

On my 2004 DII, I still have about 1/4 tank left by the time I get to Garberville.

I will try to answer Qs as time permits on this thread but will be out of pocket most of the day Wed-Friday (out of town on business). Due to work schedule change, I won't be able to join you all till Saturday @ Camp Nadelos. Or if you are all hung-over from Friday's partying, don't be surprise if I catch-up w/you all Saturday morning (lol).

Remember to deflate your tires before playing around on Usal Beach (bring your tire air gauge and inflator), and everyone should have front & rear recovery points and tow straps w/you. Bring enough firewood (will be cold at night camping). Chris and Rob will be your trail leader and gunner, and Brenton has been on the Lost Coast so with the trio, you are all in good hands!

OK so after TO helped me set up my mobile rig we have figured that you don't need fuel, i am bringing some fire wood and we can get some in Laytonville, Alyson is meeting in Oakland, etc. We will need more wood than we probably think so I say we load up big time!!

For the Oakland crew, we can change the meet up to the Montclair Village which is the next exit down from Joaquin Miller (Park Blvd) and then you have a choice of Peet's or Starbucks. Either way is fine with me. Still plan to meet by 10am and be ready to roll by 1015am. I will be leading the pack, slow and low as I will be loaded up like the Clampetts (pics to follow).

I will be monitoring NCLR 146.640 and Mt Diablo repeater 147.060 pl100. I am leaving Livermore at 745 Fri am to get to my dad's house by 9am so I will be monitoring and possibly chatting with a few of you.

Remember... "get dirty, stay clean" is also a Land Rover Motto!!

Archived