Lost Coast Trip November 2014

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that "Clean" is a four letter word amongst you "real" off-roaders, but... Have any of you tried to clean the mud from Lost Coast? Good golly it is is every nook and cranny... Winch, bumper, along the engine, starter, even inside the frame horns and stuffed in behind the diff guard... I think I finally have most of it but there will always be a nook or cranny that will have some left. DavidW, this is enough to send your OCD into overdrive!

Anyway, I am hoping the weather-folk are right about the almost 2" of rain expected this week, I need it to clean off the driveway!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Tom

Me too... And I was going to drive through puddles to take the mud off the places the other puddles put it... Doesn't seem to work that way.

Also noticed there s

*seems* to be a very high salt content to the water/mud. As made apparent by SOsR or Sudden Onset surface Rust in some areas... ;-)

I realize that "Clean" is a four letter word amongst you "real" off-roaders, but... Have any of you tried to clean the mud from Lost Coast?

I use a special liquid to assist this with this problem. It also acts as a rust inhibitor, because, as you know, in England that is way more of a problem. Using the power of the engine, transfer case, and differentials, which have specially designed 'passage ways' that allow a small amount to be spread across the entire engine, engine bay, and the underside of the vehicle this liquid is distributed fairly evenly and prevents the build-up of mud and dirt. Mud just shrugs off, and finds no way to stick. When I last checked I was using a special formulation from a company called Castrol. I buy it (frequently) in gallon cans.

Regards,

Graeme

(on turkey over-dose)

Also noticed there

*seems* to be a very high salt content to the water/mud. As made apparent by SOsR or Sudden Onset surface Rust in some areas... ;-)

Indeed! I put the pressure washer to it yesterday and noted quite a bit of rust had developed on the sliders/etc where I had previously scratched stuff up on the rocks. I was thinking it was just from the rains over the last week but not that you mention it the salt makes sense. Maybe Sunday I'll have time to break out the Rustoleum.

Leave the mud with the seeds on your driveway, in a yr the "grass" will be greener and you can use it for medicinal purposes. OR leave it on your vehicle and you'll have a Land Rover Chia-pet. :)

Rupert and his 'sage' wisdom... or some other sort of herb...

-Jared

• 2 weeks later...

Archived