matching tires

Phil.

a few months back at the tepui tents customer event, i blew a tire which america's tire company easily replaced under warranty. back then, i specifically asked about having a brand new tire at one corner with 3 well traveled tires at the other. i can't recall how many miles i've got on the old ones. but they said not an issue and just replaced one tire under warranty.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago and i find a slow leak in another tire. another trip to america's tire finds a gash. they'll replace under warranty and they recommend replacing the other two. they'll prorate the other 2, but i can't pull the trigger now. in fact, they'll mount & balance the tire, but they refuse to put it on the vehicle b/c it's full time 4wd citing liability for t case damage and even safety. kinds feels like he's reaching for excuses as the liability issues can go the other way (like putting low pro tires on rice rockets), but i got tired of arguing with the guy even tho they'd recently done this.

anyway, got 2 real questions. looks like short term i'll be running with 2 relatively new coopers and 1 relatively new nitto with a well traveled cooper on the final corner. any issues? not planning any wheeling or long trips.

second is around running 3 new-ish coopers and 1 nitto. good or bad? of course they're not advising it, but they'd all be the same tire size.

a few months back at the tepui tents customer event, i blew a tire which america's tire company easily replaced under warranty. back then, i specifically asked about having a brand new tire at one corner with 3 well traveled tires at the other. i can't recall how many miles i've got on the old ones. but they said not an issue and just replaced one tire under warranty.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago and i find a slow leak in another tire. another trip to america's tire finds a gash. they'll replace under warranty and they recommend replacing the other two. they'll prorate the other 2, but i can't pull the trigger now. in fact, they'll mount & balance the tire, but they refuse to put it on the vehicle b/c it's full time 4wd citing liability for t case damage and even safety. kinds feels like he's reaching for excuses as the liability issues can go the other way (like putting low pro tires on rice rockets), but i got tired of arguing with the guy even tho they'd recently done this.

anyway, got 2 real questions. looks like short term i'll be running with 2 relatively new coopers and 1 relatively new nitto with a well traveled cooper on the final corner. any issues? not planning any wheeling or long trips.

second is around running 3 new-ish coopers and 1 nitto. good or bad? of course they're not advising it, but they'd all be the same tire size.

In general, I agree... while probably not recommended due to uneven wear patterns, I doubt there is a safety concern (other than if your tires are really bald and unsafe to drive on...) Any time i've dealt with America's Tire Co. they have always been very helpful but I guess with all the litigious people around these days, one can't be too careful.

Good luck

-Jared

Archived