OFFICIAL : Death Valley 2013

Should we agree on an alternate frequency to 146.460 just in case we hit cross traffic or need a separate channel for emergency traffic during the trip?

I added one to the PDF file, but doubt we will need it. 146.640 for Ham and channel 17 for CB. We are getting worse than those Expedition Portal guys when it comes to planning! Or maybe they can take lessons from us...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Things aren't looking too good for me to attend at this point. I still can't work underneath a vehicle so I haven't been able to replace my transmission. Even if I could, I haven't been able to do much paid work, so funds are pretty low. On top of all that, I've got some other problems here at home that will probably prevent me from going.

Hola everyone...just something to think about. If you have an iPhone or ipad (might be avail on other platforms not sure) you should get star walk. Free app and totally awesome for looking at the night sky and seeing and learning about the constellations. Continue on.

Uh oh. Don't think this is going to work. Those frequencies are not available (or legal) for HAM's to use. We are restricted to 144 - 148 MHZ in the 2 Meter Band.

So we will need to come up with another plan for you to stay in touch with us. Either a handheld -- or we need to mess with Beavers repeater idea -- but I think you might be talking on illegal frequencies.

Repeater function wont work with this range either. I think we will need to get him a handheld....

My current plan is to meet there. Brenton and I were talking about a caravan up but haven't talked about a time. I would like to make it there by 11-11:30 but i don't know how long it is going to take for me to get over the hill

OK who is going to meet up with me at the Cabela's in Reno on Friday? Also what time should we meet?

I'm still planning on leaving on Thursday - trying to make it to Gold Point (or at least as far as Tonopah) that evening.

I did speak to the Sheriff - he tells me that he will have rooms made up and ready (if needed) for anyone who wants one instead of a tent when they get to town..

Currently our plan is to meet Enrique in Tracy around 9am Friday, drop our dog off at a kennel in Lathrop and then meet Beaver, Rob, Ted, and maybe Randy somewhere around Sacramento around 12-12:30ish. From there we will head towards Gold Point via Reno or 88.

Enrique, the Suttle Shuttle, and Ted are going to try to make Gold Point. Beaver, Rob, and Randy may only go as far as Tonopah.

Sherrif says he will have cabins made up and ready for us if we need em.30% chance of rain on Sunday according to the long range forecast. Mebbe we will see Titus canyon in the snow once again..

Correction chuck on the Powerpoint attachment top of the page: my call sign is KJ6RKA, and I will be bring the Java Black 04 DII - it has the roof top tent setup already. See you Saturday nite dinner.

Weather report for Gold Point shows low 30's at night. Brrrrrrr.....

Yikes! Well last year it did snow on us and I was very thankful to have a cabin to sleep in. If it is that cold again, we may stop for Friday night in Tonopah. It is 57 miles from Tonopah to GP.

How much are the cabins at Gold Point? Will there be any available on Friday night?

So who is in for Friday night dinner and/or Saturday Breakfast? I thought Enriique is coming on Saturday.....? Totally confused.

Currently our plan is to meet Enrique in Tracy around 9am Friday, drop our dog off at a kennel in Lathrop and then meet Beaver, Rob, Ted, and maybe Randy somewhere around Sacramento around 12-12:30ish. From there we will head towards Gold Point via Reno or 88.

Enrique, the Suttle Shuttle, and Ted are going to try to make Gold Point. Beaver, Rob, and Randy may only go as far as Tonopah.

So if Brenton and Sean are in for dinner on fri night and we are driving with them then my dad and I are also in for dinner on friday night. so here's the scorecard for The Solis Entourage:

Friday dinner for 2 (Ron and Chris)

Sat Dinner for 2 (Ron and Chris) (no breakfast)

Sun no breakfast. Yes potluck.

Archived