Death Valley 2013

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. That's what I thought would be the case, but wanted to check.

Brenton: FWIW, I made a quick awning made up of two extension poles from Redwood Trading Post (=/-$10ea), a few clips/clamps (OSH/Harbor Freight) a 10'x10'ish Blue tarp (can be any color ;-) and some line for guy-wires.

One edge of the tarp clips to the rack, one extension pole in the grommet in each of the opposite corner, pull some string and done.

The poles take up the most space and the rest can be stuffed here or there... You are welcome to borrow my "kit" if you like or take the idea and run with it...

Cheers,

Tom

Getting ready for the trip. Been working on the rangie: new springs, shocks, double cardan driveshaft, wired in new fusebox to rear for additional 12v accessory plugs and inverter. My daughter is excited to be heading down again.

Thanks Tom. I might try and make one too. I have 2 telescoping poles, just need some tarp clips and new grey tarp. I've used the blue type before, but it really traps the heat. The grey ones block all of the sun and make nice cool shade. And, with the taller springs I might be able to stand upright under it:)

I have 6 telescoping poles that I will be bringing as they fit in one of my cases. I have 2 tarps and really only need the one. I am happy to let people borrow the shade. I will be attaching one to my truck (have carabiners on the tarp to the rack and then off to the poles). Takes 10min to set up, less to take down. Let me know. Also on the other thread I might have posted a pic of me and a mai tai and now it looks like I might be playing "Isaac" for the trip at least one night. (if you know that reference more power to you!).

<SNIP> on the other thread I might have posted a pic of me and a mai tai and now it looks like I might be playing "Isaac" for the trip at least one night. (if you know that reference more power to you!).

Or dated all of us who DO (shamefully) know...

For the DV veterans. Do you stay in simplex, or do you hit repeaters for comm? I'm planning to get a radio at HRO on Sat. and would like to know if I should spend the time programming local repeaters and getting used to using them in preparation for the trip.

Brenton;

I have a listing of scanner and repeater frequencies, but ultimately we end up communicating Simplex on 146.460 -- also monitoring 146.520 for other traffic. We talked to one group of guys that were about 40 miles away last year thataway on the radios with good antenna's and power.

Prior to the drivers meeting -- as I get my information compiled -- I will send out the list of scanner and repeater frequencies. -- But as I said, it was tough to reach them from within the park unless you were properly positioned on one of the peaks or passes. If you want to do some online research -- post results -- perhaps more repeaters have opened up

I wanted to let everyone know there will be a DRIVERS MEETING (virtual) which we will have on March 17th, to introduce everyone who is going on the Death Valley trip and to talk about logistics, the routes, and any questions people have about Death Valley and/or the trip. An agenda and supporting materials will be sent out in advance.

To join the call, please dial my conference call number 1-800-602-4006 and enter the passcode 3257522. We will start promptly at 1pm on Sunday, March 17th.

Here is the latest list of participants. Please advise if you are not able to make it, or if I have any incorrect information. Also, some of you haven't communicated back via the thread what you are bringing

I just posted a link for tours of Scotties castle in a separate thread. Please make your reservations if you plan on a tour, since space may be limited. I want us to book any tour that starts at 3pm or later. I booked the Mobraten's on a 3.15 tour of the Underground part of the Castle. Unfortunately, you'll need to choose one of the two available tours and not the combo package. We will be done with all the tours by 5, and hopefully in camp by 6:30...so it may be a bit of a late Easter Buffet....we may send a few folks home early so we can get the fires a cookin..

Just to keep everyone in the loop. It looks like we will have a 3rd (or 4th if Ron brings his...hint hint. One last hurrah) CT110 with us. Shayne aka "the rover shop" will be joining us in DV. I you are not aware of him look at his build thread at expeditionportal.com it is truly awe inspiring.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70583

[ATTACH]4407[/ATTACH]

Just to keep everyone in the loop. It looks like we will have a 3rd (or 4th if Ron brings his...hint hint. One last hurrah) CT110 with us. Shayne aka "the rover shop" will be joining us in DV. I you are not aware of him look at his build thread at expeditionportal.com it is truly awe inspiring.[ATTACH]4407[/ATTACH]

Nice! I am liking this!

Does he live in FL? Thats a heck of a drive ;)

Just to keep everyone in the loop. It looks like we will have a 3rd (or 4th if Ron brings his...hint hint. One last hurrah) CT110 with us. Shayne aka "the rover shop" will be joining us in DV. I you are not aware of him look at his build thread at expeditionportal.com it is truly awe inspiring.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70583

[ATTACH]4407[/ATTACH]

4 CTs in one place; wouldn't that be sight. I'd settle 3 for now (smile) - our DII has the RTT, gears packed, ready to go, etc... Will bring the CT to the Members meeting on April if Shayne will still be around; otherwise, look forward to meeting him.

• 2 months later...
Sunday June 9th, NCLR is having their 2nd Quarter Board of Directors meeting. This will be held at Noon the location will be Mexxi's Restaurant. All members are invited to join us. We will be discussing upcoming plans for NCLR's future and the annual event.

Archived