Easy trails near Tahoe?

Phil.

Heading up later this week & staying thru new year's. Given the lack of snow we'll be looking for other things to do. Will be with a Honda Pilot and an RRS SC - both newbie drivers. Are there any easy trails we can run?

Heck in general, what else can we do up there non-snow related. Will have 8 kids with us - ages 1 to 10.

Hey there Phil,

Check out Ellis Peak and Blackwood Canyon.

Located West of Lake Tahoe. 18.4 miles from the start of the trail (from Hwy 89 Tahoma side) to Ellis Peak and then connect to Baker Pass and then to Blackwood Canyon. Allow 4 to 5 hours to complete both trails - see pdf map.

I did Ellis Peak (@ the peak 8740 ft evelation) a few years ago; easy trail; very scenic! Here's my trip report back in 2009: http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?494-Recce-Blackwood-Canyon-Ellis-Peak-Oct-10-12&p=5872#post5872

When you get to the end of the trail and base of Ellis Peak; just park and hike the est 500 yards to the peak. Don't do what we did and drove up on the steep, and narrow trail to reach the top. No safe turn-around point when you get to the top; very dangerous. Just park, hike and enjoy the view.

Here's a pic "Man vs Land Rover" climbing-up to the top of Ellis Peak; guess who won (smile).

Might see you there; thinking of driving up Wednesday and staying till Thursday/Friday.

Have fun and be safe!

• 3 weeks later...

Drove by the trail head for Blackwood canyon trial at Kaspian campground (#03 on the map/pdf you uploaded) but it was closed. : / Based on the map it closes on 11/14 but I was hoping the unusually low snowfall meant it'd still be open. Does anyone know of any trails that are open at this time during the winter?

All the trains listed on the US forest service are closed: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ltbmu/home/?cid=STELPRDB5291839

• 6 months later...

Archived