NCLR Planned and Proposed Trips/Events for 2011

http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1153-Death-Valley-in-April-Planning-Thread

Wow, lots of excitement around a post I did on Monday night from beautiful downtown Merrillville, Indiana. Rather than hijack this thread, lets move the discussion to this one...http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1153-Death-Valley-in-April-Planning-Thread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll do a Slickrock/Deer Valley Blue Lakes trip again like I did last year (unless Steven wants to take it back.) Date yet to be determined...I'll probably do it in the late summer sometime.

Cow Mountain...the jury's still out on that. Seems like people always say they enjoy going up there (except maybe for the gully-washer trip!) but it seems as if it's hard to get them to go back again another time. Last year's trip got changed to a MORG, which brought in a few new folks that hadn't been there before but pretty much killed it as a camping trip. I guess I'll have to start a separate thread about it to see what the interest level really is before I decide if it's worth doing again.

I'll do a Slickrock/Deer Valley Blue Lakes trip again like I did last year (unless Steven wants to take it back.) Date yet to be determined...I'll probably do it in the late summer sometime.

Go for it Dan! I am hoping to squeeze in a trip or two this year depending on work and the kids. Plus, have a few other projects that are needing attention.

Cow Mountain...the jury's still out on that. Seems like people always say they enjoy going up there (except maybe for the gully-washer trip!) but it seems as if it's hard to get them to go back again another time. Last year's trip got changed to a MORG, which brought in a few new folks that hadn't been there before but pretty much killed it as a camping trip. I guess I'll have to start a separate thread about it to see what the interest level really is before I decide if it's worth doing again.

I would hate to see Cow Mountain go away - I think it is a nice alternative to Hollister.

Another option might be Mendo - not in competition with the big non-club mendo trip, but in addition to it. There are some great trails, scenery, and camping up there. Maybe camping at Letts lake http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGS415-311 . Just a thought....

I would hate to see Cow Mountain go away - I think it is a nice alternative to Hollister.

Another option might be Mendo - not in competition with the big non-club mendo trip, but in addition to it. There are some great trails, scenery, and camping up there. Maybe camping at Letts lake http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGS415-311 . Just a thought....

Sounds great I have never been up there. Cow mountain is fun. Lost of great trails. People who have not gone. Don't let this one slip by. Cow mountain is worth a visit. I would love to see some of the mendo Trails.

Anybody ever hit the BLM land just West of Lake Shasta? I've seen it on the maps, and from the Lake, but curious as to what is there, trail conditions, etc. If not, maybe a recce trip, using the houseboat (sleeps 8-10 comfortably, top deck lounge chairs and pads, up to 20 as the hot tub gets in the way) as a campsite?

Chappie-Shasta, is mainly ATV, BUT there are trails for 4WD. I've done a trail or two and inadvertent ATV trail. I'd like to do more. There is a campground on the west side of the dam. The dam crossing was restricted b/c of 9/11, but it may have less restrictions now. I avoided the hassle and went up thru the westside of the dam from 299.

Let me know if anyone wants to do a recce.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated BTT w/confirmed trips and dates.

Also Baja Mexico in the planning stage.

And to look for in 2012, NCLR Alaska Expedition. Rupert volunteer to lead the trip. He is going to post his 2010 trip details and pictures soon to get us excited and ready for 2012 trip. We also have veterans like Brian aka HMBRover so hope they can join or share us their experience.

C yah!

I hear Shaver lake is down right BEAUTIFUL in the summer making it safer to climb all those granite walls on the nearby trails. Why are we fighting the freezing cold, diggin stuck vehicles out of the snow and freezing our behinds at night to go there ...

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon... (interrupted by applause) we choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

Regards,

Graeme

Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort

(We choose to go to the moon) (1962)

by John F. Kennedy

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody ever hit the BLM land just West of Lake Shasta? I've seen it on the maps, and from the Lake, but curious as to what is there, trail conditions, etc. If not, maybe a recce trip, using the houseboat (sleeps 8-10 comfortably, top deck lounge chairs and pads, up to 20 as the hot tub gets in the way) as a campsite?

I'm all for roughing it on the house boat!! just say when...wouldn't mind doing some wheeling too-lol

Do you ever rent it out?

And to look for in 2012, NCLR Alaska Expedition. Rupert volunteer to lead the trip. He is going to post his 2010 trip details and pictures soon to get us excited and ready for 2012 trip. We also have veterans like Brian aka HMBRover so hope they can join or share us their experience.

Just to whet your appetite here are a couple links that might be of interest on our trip to Alaska in 2008.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=7978 is a link to my posts on LRRForums which were done during the trip.

http://www.pbase.com/brhunt/alaska08 is a link to a more complete set of photos but minus the narrative about our experiences.

Enjoy!!

• 2 months later...
Just to whet your appetite here are a couple links that might be of interest on our trip to Alaska in 2008.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=7978 is a link to my posts on LRRForums which were done during the trip.

http://www.pbase.com/brhunt/alaska08 is a link to a more complete set of photos but minus the narrative about our experiences.

Enjoy!!

Is this still a plan to go? I really want to do this one, but need to start looking at dates now, as I have to do my calendar a year in advance and get Board of Ed approval.

• 1 month later...

When we did it in 2008 we went from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. It was 2.5 days and we had a stateroom for three nights. The total cost in 2008 for Rover, two adults and stateroom was right at $2000. The alternative to getting a stateroom is camping on deck. You tape your tent to one of two decks along with everyone else doing the same thing. We were glad we got the stateroom!

Ferry reservations need to be made around six months ahead. The stateroom reservations sell out first, auto resrvations are easier to come by. When we made our reservations in early February 2008 for late June departure, we could not get our first choice of departure date. As I recall the northbound trip leaves on Friday evening from Bellingham. Checkin time 3:00 PM.

For Alaska Marine Highway info see: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

Would be awesome if you can lead this trip Brian; I know Rupert is interested also.

Pricing for the ferry boat ride has gone up slight since Brian's 2008 trip. For 2 adults, 2 kids (me, my wife, and 2 boys); 1 vehicle (our 2004 DII); and round trip w/stateroom is about $2300 for a Aug 2011 trip; my guess - it will go up slightly again (another $100) in 2012.

if you "tent it", cost only goes down about $450 (for the same # people, and vehicle) or $1855. For 2 days on boat w/my kids, I'm going with a room w/bed, shower and bathroom. If the price was half the price of $2300, I would consider tenting on the deck but @ $1855, not much lower IMO. Me thinking = will have plenty of time to tent it once we get to Alaska. Atleast folks have choices!

I am in.

Let's start planning and ear mark Feb 2012 for folks to book their ferry ride from Bellingham to Haines. Just need to figure out exact dates.

Late July/Early August will work since my boys start school last week of August.

I wonder what the cost is for those of us who can sleep in the truck? (love that a queen size air mattress fits in the LR3).

SJUSD starts the second week of August, I would prefer more early to mid July :).

Have already started a "Fuel" savings account, roughly $150/month.

Archived