NCLR Planned and Proposed Trips/Events for 2011

2011 is just around the corner; time to plan, save-up for gas money (lol - true) and take some time off on trips of your choice for 2011.

In 2010 thus far, we completed about 8 planned trips/events; and by year end, add another 3 for the folks going to our "must" annual gathering in Hollister, some folks going to the LR Nat'l Rally, and the last trip of the year Lost Cost. That's a total of 11 (almost a trip ea month) - not bad at all despite the economy, busy work schedules, family, other commitments and what not...

Please post if you want to suggest a trip and lead a trip.

The big plan is still to have a mix of family oriented trips, and slowly but surely tackle all the difficult trails in CA eventually on my RRC or your dedicated trail rigs.

Jan - Nothing scheduled; open

Feb - Shaver Lake; Disco2guy aka Brenton Trip Leader - Scheduled Feb 18-20

Check out for details: http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1113-Gauging-Interest-4th-Annual-Shaver-Lake-Snow-Run-Feb-18-20-2011

Mar - AR LRO Rally anyone? Dates March 4-6: http://www.azlro.org/index.php

April - Death Valley; Desertcrawler aka Chuck Trip Leader - Scheduled over Easter Wknd

Check out: http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1195-Escape-to-Death-Valley-over-Easter-Week

May - Cow Mountain (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip?)

May - Mojave Road (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip?)

May - Pismo Beach; Lutz Trip Leader - Scheduled in May (Dates TBD)

Check out: http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1182-Gauging-Interest-Pismo-Beach-May-2011

June - Oregon Discovery (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip?)

June - Rubicon Trip (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip) - High Interest (considering Aug/Sept)

July - Fordyce anyone (posibly replaced by the Rubicon Trip in Aug/Sept)?

Aug - Gold Lake (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip) Chuck leading?

Aug - BBQ @ Parts Planet (Justin/Mike to organize)

Sept - Blue Lakes (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip) Dan leading?

Sept - Overland Rally @ Hollister Dates (2011 TBD): http://www.overlandrally.com/

Oct - Baja Mexico 5-10 days (Carlos trail leader/Ron assist w/planning) - Planning Stage

Oct - Annual NCLR Members Gathering Dates - Scheduled Sept 30 to Oct 2

Oct - LR Nat'l Rally Dates (2011 TBD): http://www.landrovernationalrally.com/

Nov - Lost Coast

Dec - Nothing scheduled; open

Ron

NCLR Director of Affairs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not really tried to "lead" any trip because the nature of my job with the military means I really don't know until the last minute if I can count on being off at any particular time. However, i see several trips I could assist with. Trips that I would normally join with anyway like Pismo fpr example. Also, I'd like to make a sugestion. I hear Shaver lake is down right BEAUTIFUL in the summer making it safer to climb all those granite walls on the nearby trails. Why are we fighting the freezing cold, diggin stuck vehicles out of the snow and freezing our behinds at night to go there but there isn't a planned trip to revisit it in the summer when most people would actually want to go? If I'm off base here let me know, but I would join a spring/summer/fall trip to Shaver Lake in a heart beat! ...if the Army lets me :)

Ron, thanks for getting us thinking about next year! You've put together a formidable list. One possible addition would be Black Rock Desert. Will was unfortunately unable to run the trip this year but I think there would be interest if it was on the list. There are other areas in Northern Nevada that we could explore as well.

I would like to see someone else pick up and run the Oregon Discovery trip in 2011. I've been involved with the trip all four years and led the last two so I think it's maybe time to take a break. I have a world of information on the area so if someone would like to volunteer, you won't be starting from scratch.

• 1 month later...
Hmm... I might be interested in taking the Shaver Snow Run off your hands Ron. Maybe I could convince esteban to help me out:D

Excellent Brenton. Great to see you stepping up the plate and leading this trip. Great experience trip leading, and the Shaver Lake Snow run is a signiture NCLR trip that needs to continue. Up to you if you want to have a side kick - Esteban.

Start with gauging interest (about now or early December), and get poss dates. Then pick the date (you are the trip leader), post details of the official trip date, and book 1st camp site @ Dogwood Camp Edison Shaver Lake (Dogwood I believe is the only section open for winter camping) and others can follow, make their reserv (reference your site so everyone will be in one area).

Here's the last trip planning details and trip sheet: http://nclrclub.org/forum/content.php?7843-NCLR-3rd-Annual-Shaver-Lake-and-Bald-Mountain-Snow-Run-Feb-19-21

Very cool Brenton. Thanks for taking this on. Let the S. Cal people you are planning this trip for 2011.

Ron, thanks for getting us thinking about next year! You've put together a formidable list. One possible addition would be Black Rock Desert. Will was unfortunately unable to run the trip this year but I think there would be interest if it was on the list. There are other areas in Northern Nevada that we could explore as well.

I would like to see someone else pick up and run the Oregon Discovery trip in 2011. I've been involved with the trip all four years and led the last two so I think it's maybe time to take a break. I have a world of information on the area so if someone would like to volunteer, you won't be starting from scratch.

NP Brian; glad to kick start our 2011 Trip Planning!

Do I hear Kevin volunteering (smile) to take over the Oregon Discovery Trip? Come-on you can do it.

Ron, I would feel more comfortable tackling a Black Rock Desert trip in August/September with the help of maybe DiscoChef :-). August 12-13 is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. Viewing that from within the desert or on the playa would be awesome! It makes for a great family trip complete with some historical sites to see.

Don't get me wrong...I think the Suttle's would love to see the return of the Oregon Discovery Trip in 2011 as well.

Maybe we can assign planning of Oregon to Dave Bregman as a way to get him to show his face around here again :-).

Ron, I would feel more comfortable tackling a Black Rock Desert trip in August/September with the help of maybe DiscoChef :-). August 12-13 is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. Viewing that from within the desert or on the playa would be awesome! It makes for a great family trip complete with some historical sites to see.

Don't get me wrong...I think the Suttle's would love to see the return of the Oregon Discovery Trip in 2011 as well.

Maybe we can assign planning of Oregon to Dave Bregman as a way to get him to show his face around here again :-).

Yeah, I'd be up for that! Would be awesome if David made a cameo appearance.

Brenton if you need any help with shaver lake I would love to help.

Cool!!! I had a feeling you might want to help out on this trip :) I'm thinking Feb. 18-20, 2011 for the trip as my g/f has plans to be away for that weekend. I'll start drafting the trip sheet and post the gauging interest thread after the Lost Coast trip.

ill lead the pismo trip.If anyone wants to help let me know.Also going to the Arizona rally will help plan the caravan.

Thanks Lutz on leading Pismo; feel free to start the "Gauging Interest" thread and finalizing the date(s).

AZ Rally should be a good trip; will get more details and yes, help planning the caravan will be need - thanks for offering.

Have a busy vacation schedule next year (aah! the life of luxury) Family trip in an RV to Cape Cod and kinda want to go to Moab as I missed the Rally also I would love to go to Death Valley as long as the Mobraten's go! Ha ha! always open to help Lutzi with Pismo and any other weekend type of trips next year. Fordyce hmmm!

Oh! Ron the National Rally will probably be in July if it is back in Colorado. P/N

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Can someone please post more info about these trips? Even if it's just based on past trips, it would give me a little more info:

April - Death Valley

May - Cow Mountain

May - Mojave Road

May - Pismo Beach; Lutz Trip Leader

Such as tentative dates (or estimated length ~Fri, Sat, Sun or ??), if it's family friendly, and what kind of trails/ camping conditions we'd be up against? Also, where approximately is "Cow Mountain" or "Mojave Road" ?Google maps comes up with multiple locations.

I have to submit my admin calendar for 2011-2012 school year before 12/31/10. Plus trying to work with Disabled Explorers to get my husband, Paul, out on a trip with us.

Thanks!

Can someone please post more info about these trips? Even if it's just based on past trips, it would give me a little more info:

April - Death Valley

May - Cow Mountain

May - Mojave Road

Such as tentative dates (or estimated length ~Fri, Sat, Sun or ??), if it's family friendly, and what kind of trails/ camping conditions we'd be up against? Also, where approximately is "Cow Mountain" or "Mojave Road" ?Google maps comes up with multiple locations.

I have to submit my admin calendar for 2011-2012 school year before 12/31/10. Plus trying to work with Disabled Explorers to get my husband, Paul, out on a trip with us.

Thanks!

Pretty much all of our trips are family friendly :) Setting dates can be tricky. It's up to the trip leader; they need to see if ther's enough interest and dates that work for everyone. If there's a specific trip you want to attend, contact the trip leader and see if they can work with you to make sure it happens and on a date that you request off. Here's some general info about the trips you listed.

Death Valley is usually run by Chuck (DesertCrawler). He likes the difficult trails but can accomodate for any trail difficulty.

Cow mountain is an OHV park a couple hours north of SF. I've been there once and got rained on super hard and went home early. TigerDan is familiar with it and can fill you in with any details.

Mojave Road goes from Laughlin, NV to ~Barstow. It's an easy trail that can take 4-6 days depending on how much exploring you want to do. There's a lot to see!

Pismo is 4-5 hours south of SF and has open sand dunes. There are lots of other trucks, sand rails, and atv's out there so keep an eye out.

Jan - Nothing scheduled; open

Feb - Shaver Lake; Disco2guy aka Brenton Trip Leader

Mar - AR LRO Rally anyone? Dates March 4-6: http://www.azlro.org/index.php

April - Death Valley (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip)

May - Cow Mountain (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip)

May - Mojave Road (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip)

June - Oregon Discovery (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip?)

June - Rubicon Trip (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip)

July - Fordyce anyone?

Aug - Gold Lake (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip) Chuck leading?

Aug - BBQ @ Parts Planet (Justin/Mike to organize)

Sept - Blue Lakes (anyone interested in planning/leading this trip) Dan leading?

Sept - Overland Rally @ Hollister Dates (2011 TBD): http://www.overlandrally.com/

Oct - Baja Mexico 5-10 days (Carlos trail leader/Ron assist w/planning)

Oct - Annual NCLR Members Gathering Dates (2011 TBD)

Oct - LR Nat'l Rally Dates (2011 TBD): http://www.landrovernationalrally.com/

Nov - Lost Coast

Dec - Nothing scheduled; open

Ron

NCLR Director of Affairs

Let it snow! Let is snow in Tahoe. I am here for the wknd w/the family. Will post updates on 2011 trips when I get back.

Jen hope to see you and your husband/kids on NCLR's family oriented trips.

Side note, driving up to Tahoe; raining and snowing like crazy; chain check came up @ start of the summit (6000 ft elev) on I50; love it when the CHP waives our Land Rover to pass or go on. Feeling the love - feeling the love Land Rover. Thank you! :D

More on our 2011 trips.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok- I'm ready for some Death Valley trip planning -- I'll volunteer to lead.

April 22 is Good Friday, and Easter Break (for my kids anyway) is the following week.

I'd propose an expedition style trip (similar to our first excursion).

Itinerary:

Friday morning - everyone rally's up at Lone Pine

Friday - Eureka Dunes, Steele Pass, overnight at the Springs (it will be wild and packed with people, but still a good must stop I think)

Saturday - exit the springs - head up to Cerro Gordo (the back way) and run Cerro Gordo trail (need to research this one I've never done it). Might try to overnight at the mine, if I can get us reservations. Otherwise, we'll head down to Panamint Springs

Sunday - people who want to bail early head for home. People who want to stay head towards Ballarat, where we will stay at one of the adopt-a-caibins in the area.

Moinday - Pleasant Canyon, overnighting at one of the adopt-a-cabins

Tuesday - an "in camp" day with some exploring but mainly relaxing

Wednesday - Defense Mine - overnighting at one of the adopt-a-cabins

Thursday - Striped Butte, overnighting at one of the adopt a cabins

Friday - back to civilization (Scotty's castle" overnight somewhere in the area location to be researched

Saturday -- head home.....

Waddya all thinl?

Ok- I'm ready for some Death Valley trip planning -- I'll volunteer to lead.

April 22 is Good Friday, and Easter Break (for my kids anyway) is the following week.

I'd propose an expedition style trip (similar to our first excursion).

Itinerary:

Friday morning - everyone rally's up at Lone Pine

Friday - Eureka Dunes, Steele Pass, overnight at the Springs (it will be wild and packed with people, but still a good must stop I think)

Saturday - exit the springs - head up to Cerro Gordo (the back way) and run Cerro Gordo trail (need to research this one I've never done it). Might try to overnight at the mine, if I can get us reservations. Otherwise, we'll head down to Panamint Springs

Sunday - people who want to bail early head for home. People who want to stay head towards Ballarat, where we will stay at one of the adopt-a-caibins in the area.

Moinday - Pleasant Canyon, overnighting at one of the adopt-a-cabins

Tuesday - an "in camp" day with some exploring but mainly relaxing

Wednesday - Defense Mine - overnighting at one of the adopt-a-cabins

Thursday - Striped Butte, overnighting at one of the adopt a cabins

Friday - back to civilization (Scotty's castle" overnight somewhere in the area location to be researched

Saturday -- head home.....

Waddya all thinl?

Chuck,Firm up the dates. I'm a church goer,so Easter Sunday is definitely a church day for me. As for the itinerary, are you coming in from the south to meet up in Lone Pine, then going thru Big Pine to get to Eureka dunes and points south? I know its spring, but possible snow @ higher altitudes? eg Cerro Gordo. Haven't been to Pleasant Valley or Defense Mine. Side trip to the Charcoal kilns? Goler wash to barker ranch is always creepy and fun. Is striped butte east of the barker ranch? Post some coordinates so I can make a better decision. Thanks.

Rupe

Archived