The OFFICIAL Escape to Death Valley Trip Thread

Pic 1 - Here is a picture of a FJ that rolled on Kit Carson Pass. It was about 10 minutes ahead of us. There were a young couple in it -- both seemed to be walking around fine with no injuries. Amazing.

Pic 2 - When we set out on Day 1, it was snowing in Eureka Pass heading into the dunes. It looked like a long, cold, day ahead of us..

Pic 3 - Once we hit the dunes, the weather changed dramatically. Dry and sunny, shorts weather.

Pic 4- Dedekera Canyon. Our first obstacle. Thought it would be tough, but turned out to be pretty simple. Great place to pull over and lunch. Too bad you can't camp here!

Pic 5 - Stopped at the Marble Bath. Deposited a few extra bags of marbles. Everyone stopped and took a "bath" photo opportunity. Still tucked away in the hidden spot, but it looks a bit more traveled nowadays than it used to be...

Pic 6 -- Hit the springs. No photos of the bathers -- it is considered rude! Found a good campsite near lower springs. Lots of burro's this time of year. Also way more people than I expected -- 40 or 50 vehicles I would say. Everyone enjoyed a good soak and we got everyone together the following morning.

All in all, day 1 was a great one. I would characterize it as the day of extremes -- started out in snow, then to dry desert, then to a palm tree oasis. Rain started moving in, but then things cleared up and the stars came out...

Thanks for the pics Chuck!

FJ rolled! Did you get to talk to the driver? Bet you they were going to too fast on slippery/snow/icy road.

Great to see Tim's XD on the trail again.

http://nclrclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14900

• 2 weeks later...

According to this post on the internet, Barker Ranch (Charlie Manson's ranch) which was one of our lunch stops on the recent Escape to Death Valley trip, has burned down.

http://panamintvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5409

It's sure sad to see a piece of history destroyed like this. At this point, no-one seems to know what happened, arson or an out of control camp fire is suspected.

Archived