Death Valley over Easter

Ok, just heard back from Tim; been sharing info to him from this post.

His BMW X3 has recovery points and Tim actually have been to Moab and many other trips on his FJ40 (experienced 4wheeler) and XD in Oregon, but to be on the safe side, he decided to take his 97 D1 XD all things considered.

Supposively Tim wants to take the BMW X3 for the comfort/long drive from Oregon to CA Death Valley and hoping the trail would be easy for AWD yet scenic.

However, with the 3 difficult areas you mentioned Chuck, Tim doesn't want to trash his DD BMW X3. He will take his D1 out of storage/garage, insure and take it on this trip.

He is checking to make sure the dates/time off will work out for him.

I originally never planned on taking this trip since the dates conflict with my son's birthday weekend (Sunday April 12) plus the Shop Day in Oakland on 11th.

Tim just heard about the trip and emailed me if he can join. Anyone going on this trip, know Tim, and willing to put him as your guest. He is a great guy and welcomed us when NCLR was up in Oregon twice.

Chuck, I can PM you Tim's email; I will also ask Tim to sign-up and post (non-members can reply here).

Thanks!

Here would be my thoughts on this...

a)Someone who is going on this run needs to sponsor Tim, and have a detailed discussion with him related to the condition of his vehicle and it's abilities. Not knowing anything about the BMW, I'd be worried that we'd be causing pretty serious damage to a high priced rig. Once we are on this trail, there won't be any turning back...

b)We will need to keep up a fairly good pace to make our nightly campsites. So we need to make sure whoever the guest driver is that they are able to navigate the trails at an acceptable pace.

c)Front and rear recovery points are a clear necessity for any rig like this. I suppose if it wheels like a Freelander, it could make it. But it would probably need some "yanks" along the way...

So Ron if you are going and want to sponsor Tim, please do so after checking things out with him carefully and we will make a call. I can't be his sponsor (I already have a guest going) so would need someone else.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So right now our list of rigs looks like:

1. Chuck & Family Desertcrawler

2. Barry & Family (chuck's guest)

3. Brian & Mrs (HMBRover)

4. TigerDan (probable)

5. Tim (TigerDan's guest) - probable.

I know we had some other folks interested as well, including Linus & others...

If you are planning on going, make sure and register using the official registration tool on the website. I believe we are capping this trip at 10 rigs, as of now we have 3 of the 10 spots committed..

Hey folks,

Thank you all for allowing me to participate on this expedition, am looking forward to it!

I plan to drive the 1997 XD solo from Portland and will be on HWY 395 from Reno to Bishop. Will provide personal communication details at a later date when requested.

Regards!

Okay Chuck, I've registered for myself and Tim. This looks like fun, I've never been to Death Valley and never done a desert wheeling trip. Although, I've camped at Calico before and that's as close to the desert as I've been.

Cmon El Presidente, don't see your name on the registration list...

Easter Sunday is an annual family tradition where I soak a 26 lb Turkey in a salt/brine solution the night before and barbeque him on Easter. If I go, I'm sure the natives will be restless and will looking for your phone number.

Hey folks,

Thank you all for allowing me to participate on this expedition, am looking forward to it!

I plan to drive the 1997 XD solo from Portland and will be on HWY 395 from Reno to Bishop. Will provide personal communication details at a later date when requested.

Regards!

Welcome Tim! How's Portland weather treating you! Have fun on this trip - hope to see you in Oregon once David/Brian gets the planning going.

C yah!

I really would like to make this trip. Im still not sure that its out of the question at this point. Just cant say at this point.

I also dont want to beat up my truck. I have been over mengle pass and am sure thats not a problem. I know a 109 can make it through steel pass but Ive never done it, the other tight spot I know nothing about.

It would be nice to have another series on the trip to help motivate me to go!

Chuck,

Still no job for me and if the guilt does not get me I am tentatively considering this wonderful trip if that's ok?

Cheers!

Nathan.

Bullocks. Screw the guilt, get your mancation on man! Just go! Life will still be waiting when you get back!

Chuck,

Still no job for me and if the guilt does not get me I am tentatively considering this wonderful trip if that's ok?

Cheers!

Nathan.

We have 5 spots locked down, 3 tenative (including yours).

I think I'm counting Linus and Gary as tenatives, but I haven't seen their registration come through on the official site. We need Linus to recruit another Series rig to come along with him--he is looking for company of the leafer variety I think...

Once you are sure, please register on the front club page so we can have an accurate count. I am planning on going to the Morg, so if you have any more questions about gear/etc let me know then.

Chuck - I am planning on trying to find the group on the trail. I will be leaving Cedar City, Ut sometime Friday early afternoon. Let me know if I should register on the official trip, and the best way to find you guys on Sat.

Randy

Things are looking good for me. Got the bugs worked put of the 4.2 swap and the new engine is running strong. Should have enough miles on it by the time this trip rolls around to feel fully comfortable with it. Can't wait...:D

Chuck - I am planning on trying to find the group on the trail. I will be leaving Cedar City, Ut sometime Friday early afternoon. Let me know if I should register on the official trip, and the best way to find you guys on Sat.

Randy

Go ahead and register, and make points as to your planned arrival.

It should'nt be too hard to find us Saturday night -- we will be staying at Minnietta Mine cabin -- unless it fills up. If it is full, we will probably then move to Ballarat (and stay at the campground there). As date gets closer, I'll post up directions to Minnetta.

It would help if you could estimate an ETA if you were driving to Pananamint Springs Resort.

We will have a website loaded with both APRS and SPOT tracking, so i you go to panamint, and their internet is working, you could find us on-line.

Essentially, our route from the Hot Springs to Minnietta via Lippencott Grade will be fairly straightforward -- you could enter in from the Panamint Side, head towards us, and then turn around once we meet. I'd suspect sometime just before noon we will be hitting "The RaceTrack".

What type of Radio Communication will you have? Ham, FRS, CB? We will have all three in our rolling "shacks" and can also set up some frequencies to monitor you on.

Finally, we can also leave a note on the message board at Panamint Springs Resort. I hope to be gassing up with the group there by 4 or 5pm on Saturday. But as you know, YMMV in desert travel and with groups in event we have a breakdown.

I can tell you that cell phone coverage will be sporadic. I suspect we will be attempting to access internet, though, when we hit Panamint Springs.

Looks like about a 6 hour drive for you to Panamint Springs. If you did that, spent the night there, and woke up early in the morning, you could probably catch us as we were starting to ascend Lippencott grade as you would not need to be breaking camp, etc...

Another option would be to head towards the Racetrack, which looks like about 8 hours from you, via Beatty. You could try and meet us as we come up Lippencott Grade. I think you can access it quicker from Beatty, and the roads are essentially graded gravel that 2WD can do. Then you could join us mid-day Saturday. There is a spot called "TeaKettle Junction" which is a perfect place to leave a message for each other. If no message -- we are still coming your way..

I will post some GPS points later. WIth a bit of judicious planning, you may be able to find us....

Do be careful though, the Park Service WILL issue speeding tickets, and with the open desert roads they can see and calculate your speed from miles away, then get you as you join the main road. I've never seen a park ranger out in the backcountry but once, however I've heard stories. Te speed limit on umarked back country roads is 25 MPH, higher on some of the county roads.

Of course, there are other reasons for not driving too fast. Here is a picture of one LandRover that is now nicknamed 'Flipper' for an obvious reason who was driving too fast on Saline Springs road...the whoopie doos can catch people unaware...

I've gotten several requests as to where to stay, the first night, in Big Pine. We will be meeting at the Breakfast place (8 if you want to eat, 9 if you are ready to depart) on Friday morning.

http://bigpine.com/index.php?page=lodging

The above link shows hotels in Big Pine. I just booked us a room at the Big Pine Motel. The other two, according to the lady I booked with, are equal in quality. If you don't like that type of "roadside motel" and are looking for something fancier, I'd suggest staying in Bishop, then waking up early on Friday and driving to meet us in Big Pine.

My rate, which was with a AAA discount, was $63 per night for a room with two beds. Interestingly, they are almost sold out (it is the opening day of fishing season) so it is probably worth calling to get a reservation now.

Bullocks. Screw the guilt, get your mancation on man! Just go! Life will still be waiting when you get back!

OK! I am going but can we possibly sneek some Krawling in too Chuck pleeez

My Mancation LMFAO

Thanks Mike and Will:)

Ok, will meet up with the main group Friday at 9 am in Big Pine. Thursday I will drive from Vegas to Bishop and overnight there. Wouldn't want to miss any of the sights!

Hi gang,

Looks like I will be lounging poolside in Vegas before this expedition so can anybody shed some light on best way to be at the start/meeting point or should I convoy with NCLR069?

Best place to meet us will be on Friday, 9am, at the restaraunt in Big Pine. Our first destination will be the Eureka Sand Dunes, which can be accessed from the public roads. So we could possibly rally up in that vicinity as well. You would have to figure out how to get there from the Nevada side. From Eureka, we head into Steele Pass and on to the Warm Springs in Saline Valley.

I believe that NCLR069 is planning on heading towards Panamint Springs Hotel, then waking up real early in the morning and heading towards the Hot Springs via South Pass entrance. THere is a detailed description of that run (I think it is about 40 miles) in many of the offroad books, particularly the Northern California BackCountry Adventures book by Massey, I believe.

We would be meeting up with him right below Lippencott Grade, or possibly even further in towards the springs.

FInally, if you want to camp with us Saturday night and don't want to wheel Friday or Saturday too much, Panamint Springs Resort is a good place to meet up.

I'd suggest talking with NCLR069 on this thread, figure out his timetable, then do the same with yours. It should not be too hard to find us coming in from the Springs, but you wll miss Steele Pass which is one of my favorite, remote, runs.

Archived