Death Valley over Easter

Looks like this trip will be a go. I've been doing some route planning, and it look like we will get some good drives in along with some great campsites.

Day 1 - Leave Bishop, cross Steele Pass. Highlights will be Eureka Sand Dunes, Marble Bath, and soaking in the Hot Springs

Camp first night - at the Warm Springs in Saline

No night run, but probably will be plenty of entertainment at the Hot Springs!

Day 2 - Leave Warm Springs, climb Lippencott Grade, check out the Racetrack, stop at Panamint Springs for an Arrogant Bastard and some fuel.

Highlights are Lippencott Grade, Racetrack, Teakettle Junction

Camp Second night - Minnietta Cabin in the Panamints

May do a possible night run to watch the sunset at Lookout City, time allowing

Day 3 - Head towards Striped Butte.

Highlights are Ballarat, Goler Wash, Mansons cabin at Barker Ranch, Striped Butte, etc...

Camp Third night -- Geologists cabin near Striped Butte

May do an evening/night run to explore the area and all the cabins around there.

Day 4 - Head out towards Furnace Creek and Stovepipe wells.

Highlights would be the Warm Springs camp and Talc mine, plus I need to do a bit more research on that side of the mountain range. Worst case, we will end up at Scotty's castle and take a tour!

Set your Tivo for this episode http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389142 for some recent history on Mansons cabine..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We will be putting a formal trip request together soon. We have at least 4 or 5 rigs interested, so this looks like a go. Would you prefer to leave Big Pine on Friday morning or on Saturday?

Doesn't matter to us. :D

How do you propose getting to Big Pine? Tioga pass won't be open that early in the year. Through Bakerspatch is the only way I see.

I think I would go this way via SR88 and US395 instead of through Bakersfield, then come back over Tehachapi.

That way looks good - shorter than going south and avoids going north on 395 where all the LA skiers are trying to get to Mamouth. Depends on the weather a bit, though.

The way we usually go to DVNP is to go to Bakersfield and then across 178 through Ridgecrest. But the stretch from Ridgecrest up to Bishop would make it much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Stock Rover should be fine...

The tougher spots (one each day) will be:

Dedeckera Canyon (over Steele Pass)

Lippincott Grade (heading from Saline Valley to the Racetrack)

Mengel Pass (heading past Charlie Mansons canyon towards Geologist Cabin)

I wheeled all of those in a stock rover, which had running boards. The running boards got messed up due to some big rocks but that was it..

• 3 weeks later...

What route do you plan to take from racetrack back to panamint springs? I assume over hunter mountain? This is a very easy track as long as there is no snow.

Goler wash is usually pretty easy unless we come after a large rain. If thats the case it could be a really challenging route.

Going down the other side from the pass into stripped butte is a little difficult, but going down it is possible in a stock rig. Up might be a little too hard. I put a dent in the rear quarter of my truck coming down that pass but a little more rock stacking would have prevented that. I also did lippencott over new years, its in pretty good shape. I cant think of any land rover that couldnt get through. Some explorers were coming down with extended front drop arm things and they had a really hard time because of how wide their track was, but they made it.

I am assuming we will be taking Hunter Mountain -- some may bail do to heading back the Southern way, but I know at least one rig is gonna be trailered as far as Big Pine so I'll be plotting a return thataway..

Goler isn't too rough (at least for the past few years) -- but Mengel does have some challenges on the other side. I'm not worried about getting a stock rig through there, with proper rock stacking. We will have a rig with a winch, just in case, but as you say we will be taking that obstacle going the downhill way.

I've toyed around with the idea of exiting Warm Springs via the backside of Cerro Gordo -- have you ever done that? We did it once, there was about 3 feet of snow heading up it, and it got quite scary.

I have only exited the warm springs canyon on the main road. I would like to sometime go up johnson canyon which is just a little north on the west side road from the exit of warm springs canyon. That should probably be saved for another time. I want to visit hungry bills ranch. I understand you have to walk to it.

Anyway- I think our geography is mixed up. Cerro Gordo is in the Inyo mountains and is usually accessed from the owens valley. I guess its about 20 miles east from lone pine. The road goes all the way through and meets saline valley road near lees flat.

Day 1 - we would leave Big Pine, see Eureka Dunes, take Steele Pass and end up at Hot Springs. Camp there...

Day 2 - Leave Hot Springs, head up Lippencott Grade, check out Race Track, head towards Panamint Springs Resort, gas up there, then head out towards Mengels Cabin nearby and camp there overnight.

Day 3 - Leave Mengels, head thru Ballarat, head up Goler Wash, check out all the cabins (including Charlie Manson's) - head over Mengel Pass and camp out at the Geologist Cabin (or one of the other ones close by if that one is occupied).

Day 4 (this is the one I am still figuring out) - Leave Geologist, head towards Furnace Creek (gas up there), then head out on Hunter Mountain Road after a little highway driving and complete the loop back to Big Pine. Adding drive back to Bay Area would be a bit extreme, perhaps we camp or hotel at Big Pine or someplace that evening then finish the drive home on Day 5.

I would expect if we had anyone joining us from SoCal, they might decide to head different directions on Day 4.

I've just started a new job, so am thinking days for this will be Friday - Monday (and part of Tuesday) with the option to cut it short and make it back early if needed...

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone show up and take the trip with you guys? I have just finished re-building my engine and this trip would be great as it would give me enough time to run 'lumpy' through it's paces and work out any kinks before the trip...

This trip sounds like alot of fun, and it goes through some great areas.

I am a proud owner of a series 109 3 door bought from Ike (pangolin 4x4)

Chevy short block engine carb fitted

Forward control tranny

Stage 1 front axle

Salisbury rear axle

Central diff lock

Homemade sliders, skid plates

- future mods:

on board air via a York A/C compressor

Perhaps a rear locker, have not decided

CB radio

Rear swing away fuel & storage box carrier

Welcome Frans-

Non-members are allowed to go on one trip as a guest with the club. You'll need to fill out the trip form and meet the basic requirements for equipment for the trip (i.e. CB radio, spare tire).

That sounds great!

Is there a list of the 'basic requirements'?

Thanks

Frans

That sounds great!

Is there a list of the 'basic requirements'?

Thanks

Frans

long debate and much discussion on "basic requirements"

Basically it boils down to personal preferences for gear and such except for the following vehicle minimum requirements.

Vehicle:

In good working order; lights, parking brake, low range, etc.

current insurance and registration

seat belts for all passengers

spare tire sized to match existing

front recovery point

Trip Leader can recommend additional requirements

• 3 weeks later...

Just started new job -- had to make sure I could get time off...

We will be leaving Big Pine at 9am on Good Friday -- finishing trip at Furnace Creed around noon on Monday -- some may want to extend and take Walker Pass back to Big Pine, others highway...

Just submitted trip details for approval, look for a posting soon on the trip board and make sure you sign up@!

Chuck,

I received an email from Tim Godsmith (from Portland Land Rover Club); Tim has joined us twice on our Oregon trip led by David Bregman (Brian, Dan and I can tell you Tim a great guy); he has a D1 XD but in the garage/insurance canceled and asking if he can join this trip as a guest and can take his 2005 BMW X3.

He wants me to check w/the trip leader first if ok to attend, and also wants to know if his X3 can handle the route/trail you have in mind. I know X3s are all wheel drive like the Freelanders w/o the low range. I asked Tim if he has recovery points front/back and type of tires - waiting for his response.

In the meantime, what do you think Chuck (let's say he has recovery points and decent AT tires)?

I've talked to desert rats who've done this sort of stuff in a 2WD pickup. I think the wildcard variable is skill of driver. If he's an experienced offroader, and if the BMW has good front and rear recovery points, I'm sure we can get it through. The key will be how much ground clearance it has versus the type of 4WD systems-- there will be rocky spots on trail where you need to watch your diff on a stock D1 or D2 -- if the XD has ground clearance issues I would not reccommend it.

There are essentially 3 tough obstacles, 1 per day. The rest of the ride is pretty straightforward, a combination of some tight squeezes and rocky trail providing the excitement in spots, along with some whoopy-do's and washboards on the dusty trail. Think Mojave Road type conditions, generally.

From an obstacles perspective, the three challenging spots are:

The first is Dedekera Canyon (the waterfall). Read here for a recent description http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/steelepass.html

The second is Lippencot Grade. Here is a recent description

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/lippincott.html

Note that the grade seems to have gotten easier. We are going up it, which will make it more challenging.

The third is Mengel Pass. Goler Wash used to be a challenge, but really isn't any more. The tough part is getting over the pass. We will be going down it (like the forerunner in this link)

http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/messages/405288.shtml

Bottom line is that if the guy is an experienced fourwheeler, and isn't afraid of a few dings on his rig, he should be able to make it through. If his XD has clearance issues, and early on he cracks his diff on a rock however, --- it may be a long trip for him...Having never done the Oregon trip, I don't know how to compare it to other trips. I would call this a cross between the Gold Lake rocky trails (not the real tough spots where General Lee was borne though) and the Mojave trail on a scale of difficulty.

Also -- depending on what the rains have done the trails can change dramatically. I'm gonna check conditions as things get closer.

I have been out on moderate trails with a similar style "SUV" before and it took us hours dragging the vehicle over obstacles that others in proper trail rigs just drove up. The vehicle also took some bumper and undercarriage damage as well. The main issues were improper tires with poor traction in loose dirt, and lack of ground clearance.

The idea of taking a BMW on this trip seems crazy to me, but everyone has there own ideas on what they want to do with there vehicles...

Here would be my thoughts on this...

a)Someone who is going on this run needs to sponsor Tim, and have a detailed discussion with him related to the condition of his vehicle and it's abilities. Not knowing anything about the BMW, I'd be worried that we'd be causing pretty serious damage to a high priced rig. Once we are on this trail, there won't be any turning back...

b)We will need to keep up a fairly good pace to make our nightly campsites. So we need to make sure whoever the guest driver is that they are able to navigate the trails at an acceptable pace.

c)Front and rear recovery points are a clear necessity for any rig like this. I suppose if it wheels like a Freelander, it could make it. But it would probably need some "yanks" along the way...

So Ron if you are going and want to sponsor Tim, please do so after checking things out with him carefully and we will make a call. I can't be his sponsor (I already have a guest going) so would need someone else.

Archived