Message from member Brad Daniels

PCRover

Message from member Brad Daniels NCLR075

NCLR Club members,

I have been a member for about nine months and wanted to share a project I am doing currently and congratulate everyone on the article and help given in the last Rovers North News Mag. I recently sold my 92 Classic Range Rover and I am in the middle of a complete ground up restore on a 1958 Series 2.

Pics attached.

I hop[e to attend an event someday in my 58' The white Rover is in Reno. My brother in law saw it and sent the picture.

Brad Daniel

• 9 months later...

While in Arizona last week visiting my family I started to think about my next trip there and how I want to drive out and hit some trails. A friend I met during the Pismo meet last year (AZLRO member Doug Lawyer), who was also on the Mojave Road trip over Christmas with me, sent me a link to the Arizona Land Rover Owner's Annual Rally. It's being held in Tuscon, AZ. March 5-7, 2010 (Friday through Sunday). My birthday is March 5th so the timing of seeing my mom and hitting their rally just seems to work perfectly. Then I started thinking how much I want to run the Mojave Road again, hitting the spots we passed last time and attempt a crossing of Soda Lake to the end of the trail.

So with that being said I'd like to see what interest there would be in going to either the rally and/or the Mojave Road. I'll probably drive to visit my mom for a few days before the rally, drive to Tuscon, then hit Mojave on the way back. A tentaive schedule would be something like this:

Monday, March 1, 2010

San Francisco, CA. to New River, AZ. - 784 miles ~12 hours

Friday, March 5, 2010

New River, AZ. to Tuscon, AZ. - 158 miles ~3 hours

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tuscon, AZ. to Needles, AZ. - 370 miles ~6 hours

Monday, March 8, 2010

Mojave Road 130 miles

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Barstow, CA. to San Francisco, CA. – 420 miles ~7 hours

I figure anyone who wants to go to the rally, we could meet in Phoenix and drive to Tuscon, and if you just want to do the Mojave Road we could meet in Needles, NV.

Questions: Any idea what the condition of Soda Lake might be at that time? I really don't want to do the Mojave Road if Soda Lake is impassable. I remember Chuck's trip out there was mucky, but I don't remember the timing of it. I'm going back to look over the trip report now.

We might be interested. Depends, of course, what other trips we have planned around that time. it would be a good 'un to plan some other sight seeing around. I've never been to Tucson so that would be different.

The 2008 Mojave road trip was 20 - 24 March during spring break. Conditions were great and the weather cooperated. The wild flowers were spectacular. Soda Lake was gummy but passable. There was a track across the lake that was very good and when we pulled off the road for a photo op it was a little gummier (?). But ... It all depends on the amount and timing of the winter storms in the area.

I have some pictures somewhere ...

definately a worthy trip (long) but those are usually the most rewarding, hitting Mojave on the way back sounds like the likely plan......

I'm ready for Mojave either way, that is with or without AZLRO rally...........

I do like Mojave trail...

No problem with Soda Lake, but there are no guarantees that time of year.

On our last NCLR run that time of year it was perfect. It looked as if a month before it might have been a bit gummy. Leave time to camp and play around Ashton Canyon that is a cool place. I would have also, given enough time, spent a little more time stopping along the way and exploring some other different places..

Exploring a lot of the other places is one of the main reasons for this trip. We passed by so much stuff last Christmas, like taking the highway for a few miles just after hitting the lava walls (which was going to be a highlight for me), or hearing the leader say "What mailbox?" over the cb. We actually did stop at the mailbox but there were other plaques, hanging beer cans, and frogs we just drove past without even slowing down. I want to take in as much of the history and sights as possible this time around. This won't be a gun-it-and-run-it trip.

definately a worthy trip (long) but those are usually the most rewarding, hitting Mojave on the way back sounds like the likely plan......

I'm ready for Mojave either way, that is with or without AZLRO rally...........

same here really want to run Mojave

Sounds like most interest is around the Mojave Road portion of the trip. It makes sense because driving to Tuscon for basically a day and a half for most people wouldn't be worth it. Right now I think I'll plan for an official Mojave Road trip and have the AZLRO Rally as an un-official option for those interested in some AZ. wheelin' beforehand. I'll update this thread as needed. Thanks everyone!

• 3 months later...

While starting to work out my plans for this trip I'm coming to the realization that it might be easier to schedule the Mojave Road portion for a later time.

Running it during the week makes it harder for people to get that much time off work, so it can be scheduled over a weekend. During mid-late April there's a better chance of crossing Soda Lake (to me, this is a requirement of the trip), and it gives me an extra day of wheeling at the AZLRO Rally (Sunday). It also won't be so close to the Shaver Lake Snow Run.

Hmmm... We will be at the Grand Canyon South Rim March 1-6 and were planning to join you on the Mojave Road after that. I suppose we could come for the last day and a half of the AZLRO deal in Tuscon and since my wife has a friend there it might be worth it. Let's see what develops.

I agree that we might get more participation from here if the Mojave were on a weekend. When is spring break? Chuck??

Antonio- It's a fun and easy trip. There are tons of places to take great pictures.

Brian- Meeting in Tuscon would be fun! My buddy Doug is getting more info on 3 of the planned trail runs. I'll probably do Chiva Falls one day and Chimney Rcok the other. Though I'm curious about Charouleau Gap too.

Chuck- That looks like a nice trip, how long is El Camino?

Archived