I need a little help with this one.

Jantiz

Could I get a little feed back from our Disco walking manuals out there?

I am seriously considering biting a couple grand penalty to finish out my wife's lease on her Acura TL early and buy her the Disco she so desperately wants. I think we've settled the fact that her Disco wont be seeing any serious off roading in her hands, but we know we are going to retire somewhere where the land is still cheap and abundant and where we can see all 4 seasons so we need to prepare to drive in deep snow during the winters in retirement and the tiny acura just wont do.

So, I was thinking 2003, 2004 with the factory CDL and most of the modern toys for her comfort will probably do the job. But that is about as much as I know about Discos.

1. Is there any option or model I should look for?

2. Disco S, SE, HSE, any real difference, any one better than the other?

3. Any disco "quirks" with those years I need to look for?

Any and all wisdom and advice will be as always MUCH appreciated!

Go with an 04 rather than an 03, IMO, I used to own an SE model, solid truck, no need for HSE... color and low mileage should be more important

Also look for Cold Weather Package, heated seats, windshield, etc.

Only look for a ONE owner private sale, stay away from used car lots, maintenance history will speak volumes

If local car to Bay Area, have Frank at Cerrones do a pre purchase check

WooHoo cool, Luis!!

MY to choose:

The 2004 is by far the best year for the D2's. The '03 MY have oil pump issues within a certain VIN range. It's a manufacturing fault in the engine where the holes for the oil don't line-up with the pump. I've heard stories of LR not fixing it (esp. if you're not the original buyer) even though it is a TSB. On top of that the '03MY trucks do not have the CDL in the t-case. In fact, mid-year '01 to '03 had the CDL removed from the t-case. So it's best to avoid those all together. I can show you where to look for the CDL nipple on the t-case at the MORG. Other advantages of the '04 are bigger engine (4.6), newer style headlights, better brake calipers, and the CDL linkage is cable operated. The D1's have a mechanical linkage that tends to seize when not used.

Front drive shaft:

Ok, the very first thing anyone with a D2 should do is get the front driveshaft rebuilt. The double cardon joint at the t-case end does not have serviceable u-joints. They are sealed for life, and sit about 1/2" from one of the cat's, thereby baking the grease inside the u-joints. Since they are sealed the grease breaks down from the heat and tend to seize. Usually when you're going 70mph down the highway. Long story short you're looking at a $7,000 repair bill to fix the new hole in your tranny. Talk to Frank or Tony, they had a rebuilt d/s sitting on the shelf when I called, and gave them my old one which was rebuilt and ready for the next person.

Model designations:

The different models (SD, SE, HSE) are all trim packages. Anything with 7 (HSE7) is a 7 seater with small jump seats in the cargo area so you'll loose the cargo boxes. Those seats are for little kids and short trips. In terms of the engine and everything else it's the same truck. I have an SD, but the PO added the sunroof making it closer to the SE. The SD has 16" wheels, all others (I think) have the 18" wheels. You'll get better selection and cheaper tires with the 16" wheels. You get Dura-Grain (fake) leather in the SD, real leather in the other trim packages. The Dura-Grain holds up a little better than the leather, but I have Wet Okole seat covers all around so it doesn't really concern me.

Other quirks:

The a/c drain plugs get clogged with dirt and mud. When they can't drain the pipes from condensation that gets the carpet wet in the front floorboards. It's something that should be checked every few months or sooner if driving in mud or dusty trails. The drain plugs are under the truck and you just need to squeeze them a little for the water to drain. A lot of water at that.

I've heard the updated headlights can form condensation inside the housing at times.

I'm sure there are a couple other things I'm not thinking about right now but will post if needed. Ask away with your questions and I'll try to help out.

Big B

Hey Luis,

Ditto on what Brenton and Will pointed out!

I have 2004 SE7 in Java Black and beige or tan interior!

Other things to consider (besides the issues/things to watch-out that have already been mentioned here) are (nothing major I think - just needs to be addressed).

- "water ingress to the headliner" - water may enter near the "A" pilar, and you may experience water appearing along the upper edge of the windshield and may dampen the headliner causing it to sag. This is due to incomplete sealing operations during assembly - see attached LR bulletin and fix. Just check before buying or an easy fix!

I have about 24 of these bulletins for 2004 Discovery II; some are recalls you need to make sure previous owner got the dealer to fix them, and most fixes like the one above.

Glad to share them to you (let me know) as useful checklist to ensure all the fixes/recalls have been done prior to buying or use as a tool to negotiate pricing on 2004 Discovery II so you can take care of the req fix!

Also if the 04 Disco will not see much off-roading (yeah right - let's see how long that idea will last :)) but most likely used in places w/all 4 seasons, perhaps negotiate pricing or even ask the dealer to upgrade the tires to your liking or preference!

When I bought my 2004, the dealer changed the tires from the stock Michelin to Nitto Grapplers! Much better off-road vs street tires.

I picked the 7 seater (SE7) to haul my 2 kids and their friends, and occassional guest around!

There's more to say..., but talk more or catch up with you during the Sept MORG (will bring the 04 Disco on the Sept MORG and CT110 during the annual gathering)!

C yah!

WooHoo cool, Luis!!

MY to choose:

The 2004 is by far the best year for the D2's. The '03 MY have oil pump issues within a certain VIN range. It's a manufacturing fault in the engine where the holes for the oil don't line-up with the pump. I've heard stories of LR not fixing it (esp. if you're not the original buyer) even though it is a TSB. On top of that the '03MY trucks do not have the CDL in the t-case. In fact, mid-year '01 to '03 had the CDL removed from the t-case. So it's best to avoid those all together. I can show you where to look for the CDL nipple on the t-case at the MORG. Other advantages of the '04 are bigger engine (4.6), newer style headlights, better brake calipers, and the CDL linkage is cable operated. The D1's have a mechanical linkage that tends to seize when not used.

Front drive shaft:

Ok, the very first thing anyone with a D2 should do is get the front driveshaft rebuilt. The double cardon joint at the t-case end does not have serviceable u-joints. They are sealed for life, and sit about 1/2" from one of the cat's, thereby baking the grease inside the u-joints. Since they are sealed the grease breaks down from the heat and tend to seize. Usually when you're going 70mph down the highway. Long story short you're looking at a $7,000 repair bill to fix the new hole in your tranny. Talk to Frank or Tony, they had a rebuilt d/s sitting on the shelf when I called, and gave them my old one which was rebuilt and ready for the next person.

Model designations:

The different models (SD, SE, HSE) are all trim packages. Anything with 7 (HSE7) is a 7 seater with small jump seats in the cargo area so you'll loose the cargo boxes. Those seats are for little kids and short trips. In terms of the engine and everything else it's the same truck. I have an SD, but the PO added the sunroof making it closer to the SE. The SD has 16" wheels, all others (I think) have the 18" wheels. You'll get better selection and cheaper tires with the 16" wheels. You get Dura-Grain (fake) leather in the SD, real leather in the other trim packages. The Dura-Grain holds up a little better than the leather, but I have Wet Okole seat covers all around so it doesn't really concern me.

Other quirks:

The a/c drain plugs get clogged with dirt and mud. When they can't drain the pipes from condensation that gets the carpet wet in the front floorboards. It's something that should be checked every few months or sooner if driving in mud or dusty trails. The drain plugs are under the truck and you just need to squeeze them a little for the water to drain. A lot of water at that.

I've heard the updated headlights can form condensation inside the housing at times.

I'm sure there are a couple other things I'm not thinking about right now but will post if needed. Ask away with your questions and I'll try to help out.

Big B

Luis,

Did you see this in the LRRForums: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=8196

Also when I was shopping for my 2004 DII, I stayed away from models w/the rear air suspension setup (I think HSEs). Just didn't want to deal with another pcs of equipment or electronic that could fail!

Anyways, the one for sale has coil, and if you don't care for 7 seater, it has low miles and has the lift and tires w/16s for all seasons! :)

Might be able to negotiate further considering the seller wants to get rid of it!

Good luck shopping for one!

I don't know how I forgot to mention the "3 amigos". There are a bazillion threads out there about the HDC/TC/ABS illuminating the dash, commonly referred to the 3 amigos. Since the HDC and TC systems are dependent on the ABS, they all come on at the same time when something goes bad. It's usually caused by an ABS sensor ($150) in the hub, or the shuttle valve modulator ($800). I needed both replaced a few months ago. The codes to determine what parts are bad can only be read by LR's Testbook (or similar computer). This probably won't be an issue with an '04 (yet) but there's a pretty good chance it will happen if you have a D2.

Luis,

Did you see this in the LRRForums: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=8196

Also when I was shopping for my 2004 DII, I stayed away from models w/the rear air suspension setup (I think HSEs). Just didn't want to deal with another pcs of equipment or electronic that could fail!

Anyways, the one for sale has coil, and if you don't care for 7 seater, it has low miles and has the lift and tires w/16s for all seasons! :)

Might be able to negotiate further considering the seller wants to get rid of it!

Good luck shopping for one!

Wow, have to admitt the low milage is incredible. He already raised it though. As much as that would be a plus if it was for me, it makes the ride a little harsher if I remember right and the wife wont go for that one bit :( . She's spoiled with the ride of the LR3. The roads around here in the Oakland/ bay area are in some serious disrepair. I have never seen such awful conditions on any road elsewhere in this country. She used to drive a 4Runner Limited and had to trade out of it when we moved here because she had no kidneys left by the time she got done with her commute to work in this ridiculus excuse for highways we have here.

We have 18 months left on her 3 year lease that I'm considering braking out of early, if I find just the right color, milage, condition, etc. I'm actively looking for sure. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice. I would like to get her that Disco soon if I can.

Well, I did it tonight!!!!!:D:eek: Went to look at a particularly clean 04 and fell in love with it. I had to buy from a dealer because the only way to get out from her "unfinished Acura lease" was to trade it in. Also, I didn't get a chance to take it by Cerrones for a check up so I hope my limited experience with Discos wont end up costing me later on. When the little lady said "that's the one" I had little else to do but sign at the bottom of the check ;).

The thing is full of buttons I have a good idea what they do and a few I have no clue, since the owner's manual didn't come with it, I'll be asking a lot of questions, I'm sure! But for now, just wanted to let all know there's another Disco in the club!!!

PS

The dealer gave me a 3 month warranty so I still want to take it over to Cerrones for a complete check as soon as I can pry it out from my wife's hands :P

Sweet!

Looks like it all worked out; found the 04 Discovery II you liked, out of the lease, and especially when your wife said "that's the one"! :)

Welcome to the "two or more" Rover family club!

Post pics, and any questions!

If the previous owner didn't take it fourwheeling or used the center diff lock often, it will most likely be hard to shift. Cerrones will loosen that up or a trip to Hollister will! :D

Congratulations!

Well, I did it tonight!!!!!:D:eek: Went to look at a particularly clean 04 and fell in love with it. I had to buy from a dealer because the only way to get out from her "unfinished Acura lease" was to trade it in. Also, I didn't get a chance to take it by Cerrones for a check up so I hope my limited experience with Discos wont end up costing me later on. When the little lady said "that's the one" I had little else to do but sign at the bottom of the check ;).

The thing is full of buttons I have a good idea what they do and a few I have no clue, since the owner's manual didn't come with it, I'll be asking a lot of questions, I'm sure! But for now, just wanted to let all know there's another Disco in the club!!!

PS

The dealer gave me a 3 month warranty so I still want to take it over to Cerrones for a complete check as soon as I can pry it out from my wife's hands :P

Sweet Luis!! I bet the CDL lever works fine since it's cable operated. You can find owner's handbooks on eBay, but I would suggest you also download the RAVE manual. It has the workshop manual, accessories installation and the owner's handbook that you can browse on your PC. I also have the printed workshop manual and keep it under the rear seats just in case it's needed out on the trail. Here's a link to download the RAVE.

It's a 600MB .iso file. You'll need an app like Alcohol 120% to read the iso from a virtual drive. Basically your computer gets a new drive letter (I assign it V: for virtual) and then you mount the .iso file (mounting is like inserting the cd). You will then be able to browse the file as if you had the actual disc. At that point you can burn the contents of the virtual drive onto a cd or dvd for backup. It's confusing if you haven't worked with iso files, so if you'd like I can bring a disc with everything extracted to the annual meeting for you.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Hmm..., I'm not quite sure how my wife would feel seeing her new Disco driven by Will trying it's best to do an imitation of an Eagle diving in full attack mode :eek: and before you ask, NO, Will, you can NOT use my new Disco for a flip over recovery class in October:rolleyes:

All joking aside, I am very excited to learn a new vehicle, specially one that has been chosen time and time again by those who trully know off roading as their vehicle of choice. The Discos are awesome. The ones in our club never cease to amaze me... and we became a Land Rover family :rolleyes::cool:

Big B: I'll definitely take you up on the offer. I'm a little computer challenged ;-)

Wow, nice and quick on updating the sig line too. BTW Luis, will both LR's be making an appearance at next month's meeting?

My wife has to work that weekend and my daughter doesn't have a license yet or I would definitely bring both. I'll have the LR3 for the event since I'll be a trail leader, I'll stick with a vehicle I know well and not try to figure out a new one mid way through leading a trail :o . I am planning to take it out to Hollister this Wed to try out all the 4x components and start to get more familiar with it.

Aw man if I could take the day off I'd come join you. Here are a couple CDL/t-case tips when you're testing the D2.

With the engine off engage the CDL (in Hi or Lo). When you start the engine you will see the CDL light, TC and ABS light on the dash, indicating those systems are shut off. Actually, you need to roll a few feet for the CDL light to come on.

Unlock the CDL and restart the engine and the lights will go off (I have restart 2x for the TC/ABS lights to go off).

Engaging the CDL when the engine is running will leave the ABS and TC systems on.

It's almost impossible for me to shift into Lo at a stand still, so I have learned the "advanced" way of shifting. Rolling at 5mph or less, put the main shifter in "N", throw the t-case shifter into Lo, and shift into "D-1". When the t-case is in neutral you will hear a chime letting you know you're not in gear.

Aw man if I could take the day off I'd come join you. Here are a couple CDL/t-case tips when you're testing the D2.

With the engine off engage the CDL (in Hi or Lo). When you start the engine you will see the CDL light, TC and ABS light on the dash, indicating those systems are shut off. Actually, you need to roll a few feet for the CDL light to come on.

Unlock the CDL and restart the engine and the lights will go off (I have restart 2x for the TC/ABS lights to go off).

Engaging the CDL when the engine is running will leave the ABS and TC systems on.

It's almost impossible for me to shift into Lo at a stand still, so I have learned the "advanced" way of shifting. Rolling at 5mph or less, put the main shifter in "N", throw the t-case shifter into Lo, and shift into "D-1". When the t-case is in neutral you will hear a chime letting you know you're not in gear.

I have also found it helpful to put it in reverse, back up a bit, then put it into gear. Works most of the time when mine gets sticky. Also shifting first into low, then into CDL, seems to help.

Archived