1st Annual Cali Trophy Challenge

Hey all

Im working on an idea for a points based competitive and fun offroad event in the spirit of the Camel Trophy.

I have organized many similar rally events all over the world with bicycles and airplanes and would love to do this with our club in the hopes that it could grow into a bigger yearly gathering of all things Rover.

With that in mind:

The primary scope would be navigation challege based events giving more points to the shortest route (mileage) followed similar to other events around the world. Some could be Day and some at Night. There would be time based challenges such as wheel changes and towing/winching that would apply points to the overall standings similar to the Camel Trophy.

I am looking for some people who would like to help organize and run checkpoints and such as well as any ideas that anyone has to offer.

I am open to all sugestions as to how it should be run but the main thing to remeber is "Keep it Simple".

The first major question in my mind iswhether to hold the event stictly at one large park such as Cow Mountain which is very large and has many confusing trails and very little signage to make the navigation challenges interesting. OR......

Should we do one day at one park and then have a highway transition, caravan style, to another one within reasonable range. I like the idea of camping in different location each night to give the "Expedition" feel and to explore other areas. I am thinking of a 2-3 day event over the weekend or something to that nature.

I would also need help contacting our sponsors and other potentials for prizes and support.

Well there it is, let me know what you guys think.:confused:

Sounds like a very interesting idea and worth tossing around. Personally I would like to see it in a National Forest rather than a confined place like Cow Mtn. The Gold lake/Graeagle area would be perfect as there are lots of trails with varied terrain and difficulty. I would be interested in helping out with this and think that it could easily be a club sponsored event.

I am in San Carlos 10-5 most days, stop by some time and we can chat.

Gary

Hey all

Im working on an idea for a points based competitive and fun offroad event in the spirit of the Camel Trophy.

I have organized many similar rally events all over the world with bicycles and airplanes and would love to do this with our club in the hopes that it could grow into a bigger yearly gathering of all things Rover.

With that in mind:

The primary scope would be navigation challege based events giving more points to the shortest route (mileage) followed similar to other events around the world. Some could be Day and some at Night. There would be time based challenges such as wheel changes and towing/winching that would apply points to the overall standings similar to the Camel Trophy.

I am looking for some people who would like to help organize and run checkpoints and such as well as any ideas that anyone has to offer.

I am open to all sugestions as to how it should be run but the main thing to remeber is "Keep it Simple".

The first major question in my mind iswhether to hold the event stictly at one large park such as Cow Mountain which is very large and has many confusing trails and very little signage to make the navigation challenges interesting. OR......

Should we do one day at one park and then have a highway transition, caravan style, to another one within reasonable range. I like the idea of camping in different location each night to give the "Expedition" feel and to explore other areas. I am thinking of a 2-3 day event over the weekend or something to that nature.

I would also need help contacting our sponsors and other potentials for prizes and support.

Well there it is, let me know what you guys think.:confused:

Yeah, great idea..but the liability of this would be huge. Now, properly set up with big sponsors, the libility insurance could be achieved, but this is a very large logistical thing to start...

Having said that and knowing I am busy as heck these days, I'd try and do whatever I could do to help. You may also want to talk to Mr.Video who has toyed with doing something like this for a tv shoot/video production.....share some ideas.

I'd be down for any sort of volunteer work. What about the stanislaus(sp?). I think it's BLM, but I'm not sure. I know there's lots of wheelin' out there. Off of HWY 4 towards Bear Valley. Could be fun. Multiple stages/locations would be cool....

Steve

P.S. Sorry been wine tasting today.

Good input

Keep it coming.

With regards to the insurance. Since it is not a time based race like event it would be the same as wheeling in a group like we always do with map objectives to cover. Not a race but a navigation challenge with points given for the shortest route covered. Speed is not even considered or needed just good navigation skills. If we do wheel changes and such that may be a little bit of an issue but I am sure a liabilty waiver could cover all of that.

If you have location suggestions please send me links to maps and info, that would really help the research end.

I would also like to put together a meeting of the monds one evening for all those that would like to help organize things. So if you would like to help let me know what your day to day work schedule is and we can try to gather in a middle spot and hash this out over dinner.

Lets make it happen

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris, great idea. I would be very interested in helping out where I can in the planning process.

As Mike stated earlier, I've been developing a television show concept about off road challenges. I have many friends in the television industry who are looking for new opportunities and this type of project might interest many of them. As you may know in broadcasting, it's all about content and HD content is still lacking. While it may be a small market, you'd be surprised at where else this footage could be used. In Japan for instance, it's very popular in bars to have HD screens not of sports, but of moving scenery, colorful images and special interest video, plus they love California. I've produced a number of projects for commercial use

My weekends are often limited, but I'm flexible during the week when not playing with my new Rover toys.

Im thinking of a meeting at Mexxi's some evening soon to get things rolling.

Sounds like during the week would be best for everyone.

Anybody interested in helping organize should try to attend, I will probably need at least 4-6 people, If Mexxis dosent work out I have an office in San Carlos and a board room in Palo Alto I can use.

What day is good for everybody?

Tracktorking, it's about time! Don't you agree to have an event of such!

I can visual an old school music "Going Back to Cali" in the background as going back to the Camel Trophy concept http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--2165388 :D

Joking set aside, nothing comes close to the past like Camel Trophy IMO where the focus is man or woman and his machine. Well, there's the Nevada Trophy today, but that's in Nevada. And there's the G4 Challenge; men/women and their kayaks, bicycles....

Let's bring back the focus on Land Rovers vehicles competition!

This is how the Event Director for ten years, Iain Chapman described Camel Trophy when he was asked:

Neither a race nor a rally, Camel Trophy was first and foremost an adventurous expedition. It did include an element of competition where participating teams could test their 4x4 driving and mechanical skills, endurance, courage, stamina, perseverance and resilience against the worst that nature could offer."

"The main emphasis of Camel Trophy was more toward testing human endurance and adaptability than pure competition.

All participants were amateur and anyone, over the age of 21 from a participating nation could apply to take part – provided they did not hold a competition driving license or were full-time serving members of the military.

The essentials were fitness, common sense and an adventurous spirit."

Let me know time/date @ Mexxis.

Depending on my schedule, I have my day job that pays the bills, and Search and Rescue training (volunteer job which I absolutely enjoy) on Tuesday and Thursday nites! I can help with recruiting sponsors!

This has a lot of potential done right!

Cheers!

OK guys

I would like to call a meeting for assistance and organization for Tuesday the 27th at 832 Brittan in San Carlos.

We will discuss details and running of the event.

Below is the preliminary proposal:

THIS IS A PRELIMINARY PROPOSAL SUBJECT TO CHANGES.

Event: Cali Trophy Challenge

Date: TBA (July?)

Description:

In the spirit of the Camel Trophy.

An offroad, navigational challenge, requiring map and compass skills to complete a predetermined series of checkpoints in the shortest route possible. Since time is not a factor, speed is not required. On the contrary, the team most likely to win will be the one to move slow and deliberatly verifying course and navigation. GPS may not be allowed and its use has not been determined yet but the organizers reserve the right to call a "No GPS" event in which case all GPS units mounted will be covered by the rally officials.

At each checkpoint the participant will be required to either recieve a signature or stamp, an item, or retrieve and note a piece of information particular to that point to verify arrival at the site.

We are considering pairing up vehicles in to teams of two in the interest of safety and fun. One vehicle to follow the other as determined by the individual teams. Ideally, each vehicle will consist of a driver and navigator. If this format is incorporated the total odometer from both vehicles will be averaged for scoring purposes. At least one vehicle in each team must have a working odometer.

After completion of the course or possibly at certain checkpoints a special timed challenge will be implemented requiring basic skills and tools common in the off road environment. Wheel changes and Towing/Winching will be performed and timed to add points to the overall scores. At this time it is not certain as to whether we will perform these on course or after course completion once all the competitors have arrived at a designated area.

There is also the possibilty of formating a two stage course event with 1st stage in the morning, special challenges and lunch in the afternoon, and 2nd stage in the evening or dark.

The Race commitee will make final decisions on format and other details and post via the NCLR web forum.

Scoring:

Scoring will consist of:

1) Points given based on shortest route followed via odometer readings

2) Point awarded for best performance in completion of the Special Challenges

3) Points for best teamwork and spirit as decided by the competitors

4)We may also incorporate points for other "spirit" based items that will not be disclosed to the competitors until after scoring is complete, (ie: cleanest campsite after teardown) however this has not been determined at this time and is at the judges discretion.

Penalty points will be issued for infractions such as excessive speed and unsportsmanlike conduct and any other of "good nieghbor" - "good spirit" and "safety oriented" variety. We are all out there to have fun and enjoy some driving in the country.

Equipment:

Vehicle (preferably Rover's), map, compass, towing equipment, jacks, tire irons, spare wheel, offroad lighting, first aid kit.

Course information:

Cow Mountain has a variety of trails from easy to difficult, vehicles with stock equipment should not have a problem completing the courses however, vehicles with lifts and such may find a more difficult yet shorter route there by gaining an advantage. A certain number of the trails to be incorporated will be marked and considered "one way" to prevent any head on conflicts and to also add an importance to the proper route choice and not missing a turn at an intersection.

Camping:

Cow Mountain offers camping sites free of charges and gates are always open so individuals can feel free to come and go at any time. Buckhorn Camp will be the "base camp" for the event, it has four distinct camp sites and plenty more room to set up tents. No water is availible so pack in your own. Restrooms are located on site and fire pits have a grill to cook on.

Services:

Cow Mountain BLM park is located 4 miles from Lakeport and 7mi from Ukiah. Lakeport/Ukiah both offer services, such as auto parts supplys, fuel, restraunts and grocery stores. Tiger Dan has a nice facility in Lakeport with equipment to effect any repairs that may be required and some parts vehicles for spares.

Event contact information:

Chris Tavenner

tractorking@hotmail.com

415-859-0392

This sounds great! Unfortunately I wont be in town next Tuesday but would love to host/participate/volunteer with planning meetings or whatever is required. Any night except Friday is good!

Enrique

Chris,

Nice start for a website!

Since the meeting is on Tuesday, I will not be able to attend; I have Search and Rescue trng that day. Just let me know the outcome. Hope all goes well.

Also let me know if you want me to PM my questions re: Cali Challenge planning or post here.

And if you need any help!

As far as the challenge, glad to enter the 110 (recruiting for a co-pilot now).

Two vehicles would be great as back-up but suppose depends on # participants.

Ok, just post details from the meeting since I will miss it.

C yah!

Nice start on the webpage.

Just a few thoughts.

1. Be careful with the "comparrison" to Camel Trophy otherwise the haters will detract from the great intentions and hopefully awesome results by screaming about the "copycats".

2. Same as 1, but with the Nevada Trophy, which is put on by a Livermore based company and is pretty much what you are planning here...and well entrenched in the LR scene worldwide.

3. SLOW DOWN.....the website looks nice, but it could be sharper. Looks fuzzy on my computer. Take the time to do a great, professional job so that when people start to come to the site, they are impressed and want to be part of it. When NCLR put up the site, there were great pains to make it look as good as it did, to garner the respect for the club it was representing.

Great start. I too can't make the meeting, as I am otherwise busy, but I will keep watching and do everything I can to assist/help out/volunteer....

I think this is a great thing, could be open to "classes" in later years with LR going against other brands etc...a true NorCal competition.

I think this is a great thing, could be open to "classes" in later years with LR going against other brands etc...a true NorCal competition.

Imagine if we got the LC people on board. They are a HUGE community. Have some healthy competition between the brands, including brain power and ingenuity, so it's not just LR vs. LC.

I agree with Mike - great start!

Too bad I'm gonna miss this meeting. A week later and I could make it!

Chris,

Nice start for a website!

Since the meeting is on Tuesday, I will not be able to attend; I have Search and Rescue trng that day. Just let me know the outcome. Hope all goes well.

Also let me know if you want me to PM my questions re: Cali Challenge planning or post here.

And if you need any help!

As far as the challenge, glad to enter the 110 (recruiting for a co-pilot now).

Two vehicles would be great as back-up but suppose depends on # participants.

Ok, just post details from the meeting since I will miss it.

C yah!

Volunteering for co-pilot / navigator / rock stacker / shackle attacher / spotter / bartender!!!!!:cool:

Thanks for the Kudos guys.

If anyone has in roads to the Land Cruiser people please send them a link.

I am really running an acid test here and if things go well and we get alot of interest I think we could hold a much larger 3 day event next year and maybe even a Trophy Cup by holding several events throughout the year.

It all depends on how many people show up and run the event.

As far as volunteers go, we may only need 4-6 people to run this depending on how complex we decide to make it. The more people that opt to run checkpoints and organize the bigger we can go. The down side is, those people will not be able to run the event as they will be busy with other tasks. This would be really a great job for including those significant others.

We will probably need 2-4 vehicles for official use to get everyone around.

Should be a blast.

Volunteering for co-pilot / navigator / rock stacker / shackle attacher / spotter / bartender!!!!!:cool:

You got it D! Wingman, bartender and crowd control! Cool! :)

Suggest keeping it LRs for starters IMHO (for your acid test); besides, you might get enough LR candidates (and then some) to satisfy your acid test.

I had LCs, Jeeps, etc... nothing against them. Jeep has Jeepspeed! FJ Cruisers has their own thing.... Why not just an LR event!

Thanks for the Kudos guys.

If anyone has in roads to the Land Cruiser people please send them a link.

I am really running an acid test here and if things go well and we get alot of interest I think we could hold a much larger 3 day event next year and maybe even a Trophy Cup by holding several events throughout the year.

It all depends on how many people show up and run the event.

As far as volunteers go, we may only need 4-6 people to run this depending on how complex we decide to make it. The more people that opt to run checkpoints and organize the bigger we can go. The down side is, those people will not be able to run the event as they will be busy with other tasks. This would be really a great job for including those significant others.

We will probably need 2-4 vehicles for official use to get everyone around.

Should be a blast.

Archived