1st Annual Cali Trophy Challenge

I am not sure, I will be able to participate, but nonetheless, I wanted to express my opinion on this:

I understand this is the first attempt and so it is kind of an experiment to see what happens and I am OK with the way it is presented here.

Now some ideas for the future of this event:

We could consider doing it somewhere in Mid-California, for some of us that live down here in SoCal, it's very complicated to go up there (I know this is NCLR ;) ) and we can invite SCLR to participate, if this is held a little closer.

Actually, in good Camel spirit, I think it should be a cross California Trophy actually. I am not sure it could actually be crossed mostly Offroad, but set stages in several spots with different terrains. California has a lot to offer, from Sierras to Deserts or Beach Dunes.

Something like a week of routes from South to North, with all that this approach implies (physical endurance will be part of the competition too).

Anyway,

I had the dream of going to the Camel Trophy since I knew about it, I tried to get into the selections 2 or 3 times and this sounds like a lot of fun and would love to get involved, however, distance will be a big issue for me, as it will keep me away from helping organize (which I would love to, I love orientation sports) or even compete, as a 3 day event for me will be more like a week off work, which I don't think will happen.

I think it's a great idea and you guys have my support and if anything can be done remotely, let me know, I'll try to help.

David

I think it should be just Land Rovers too, but on the other hand, is that kinda snobbbish:p

Ive always liked the Land Cruisers as well but I would rather have an all Land Rover event.

We'll keep it LR and maybe let a random Land Cruiser in....but no Jeeps lol:Djk

Ideally and possibly beginning next year, It would be great for both clubs to hold a "series". A snow event, Beach/Desert Sand, and Redwood Forest would really be a nice mix of California Gold. Each club could host one event and a Third joint effort for the big Three Day weekend. But thats another story....

Looks like a one day, all day and some night will suffice for this one. Most likely a Saturday in Late July leaving sunday for some free-wheeling, socializing or just driving home before work on Monday.

Im figuring Stage one starts at 10 or 11am and once everyone is back we run a few special challenge events either before or after lunch. Then break for a few hours till dusk and start Stage 2 at sunset.

Now some ideas for the future of this event:

We could consider doing it somewhere in Mid-California, for some of us that live down here in SoCal, it's very complicated to go up there (I know this is NCLR ;) ) and we can invite SCLR to participate, if this is held a little closer.

Actually, in good Camel spirit, I think it should be a cross California Trophy actually. I am not sure it could actually be crossed mostly Offroad, but set stages in several spots with different terrains. California has a lot to offer, from Sierras to Deserts or Beach Dunes.

Something like a week of routes from South to North, with all that this approach implies (physical endurance will be part of the competition too).

David

Details for the organizational meeting starting around 6ish Tuesday the 27th:

832 Brittan street San Carlos is Just off Hwy 101,

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=832+Brittan+Ave,+San+Carlos,+CA+94070,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=37.514407,-122.248693&spn=0.008425,0.021544&z=16&layer=c&cbll=37.504557,-122.247215&panoid=FVWMYsGuX4wHSLEMjrj9oA&cbp=1,310.6777108350511,,0,5

From southbound 101 take the Holly st/Brittan exit, do not take the first turn on to Holly, continue on until the Brittan turn off just before the metering lights. Make the immediate first driveway to your right as you curve around to Brittan. Be sure to slow down early so as not to be rear ended by people speeding around the corner off the highway when you hit the brakes.

From northbound hwy101 take the Holly st/Redwood Shores pkwy exit to Holly st west/San Carlos circle around go over the overpass, take the hwy 101 Southbound entrance then proceed to Brittan turn off before the metering lights as mentioned above.

Our building is directly across the street from REI and is labeled "Emergency Services Council" and "NorCal Sim Center"

Either ring the buzzer or walk around to the rear and the door will be open.

I would like to get things under way by no later than 7pm but I know some have to work till 5pm and drive over so show up around 6ish and we will start at 7pm.

There are drinks availible and bring your hors d'Å“uvre if you like.

Please bring any questions and ideas as we will try to finalize dates and formats at this meeting in order to make anouncments next week.

Chris,

I will make an appearance on tuesday, this sounds like just too fun! While I agree with the KISS(and small) philosophies for the intial event so we can determine what the potential pitfalls(no pun intended) are- we want it big enough to make NEXT years event to be something to look forward to - hopefully with some favorable press and notariety. While I doubt seriously I will have a trail competent rig completed by the event date, I may be able to lend a hand in some fashion.

Keep these ideas rolling!

Sam

ps - Dan and yourself did great rightups on Cow Mountain! I got some very good photos myself - I will drop them off with you soon.

Good Thanks.

We tossed around some ideas and tried to shoot holes in the project.Things look good so far. Ill post some info in Thursday but definatly keep checking the site for updates.

Added.

Ive submitted the trip request for Saturday July 26th 2008, should begin around 10am.

Website is updated with more details as well as entry forms for any non members wishing to join us.

Mr. Video is going to document this event in HD. I plan to send LRM an article and photos as well.

If we get a large turn out this could lead to bigger better events, so come on ya'll and register for some fun.

This thread should probably be moved to the Trips forum at this point.

http://tractorair.com/CaliTrophy/Cali%20Trophy%20logo%20mini.JPG

Archived