So uhh.. The storm last night chose my neighbors jeep as a victim

Justin

Thank god it missed my GDE and instead took a Jeep Victim

At around 3AM I woke up to Police pounding on the door to let me know the gigantic tree we have on our property line came down onto my neighbors jeep. Luckily the damage wasn't too bad and my neighbors are handling it under their insurance. I actually had my GDE Parked exactly under it the last Two months and finally moved it into the driveway last weekend. 

Two things to say:

A. Thankful that your GDE was not in the wrong place at the wrong time

and

B. That tree obviously has good taste.  I don't wish it upon anyone, but if it's gotta happen... I'll leave it at that.

I'm amazed it didn't wake you, but I guess with the ground so soft it didn't make the usual tearing/breaking sounds.  We lost a large limb in our back yard several years ago that was maybe half a tree - nothing near that big - and it was loud enough people from across the street came over to see what had happened.

But on that first video - did that guy really call that an Oak?  Really?  With pine needles?  I mean, you don't have to be a boy scout to do a little better than that!

Justin,

Never worked out why they do that.  Why don't they use the doorbell like everyone else?

Graeme

Lot of experience with police at the door have you?

More fun added to this damn headache.

Based off the aerial photos, The tree does belong to my neighbor. Its dead center on the property line... Although the shitty thing is that the insurance will not cover any of my fence or dirt removal / mound cause we never sent our neighbor a notarized letter stating a concern that their tree could fall and cause damage to our fence. -_-

So for the next few weekends I get to do the fun task of removing all that dirt to the dump, leveling the ground, and attempt to put in a fence.

First year of home ownership is going swell 

LOL

*edit*

Jeep ended up getting totaled 

Wow - classic insurance move.  

Reminds me of many years ago my father had a tree blow partially down and snag in such a way that if it did fall further it would land on his barn.  He called his insurance to report it and get them to pay to have it taken down.  Their response was had it fallen and damaged the building they'd cover it but now it's just a hazard that you know about so you have to cover it yourself.  Oh and btw, if it should fall it's now on you since you knew about it already.

Nice.

He ended up taking it down himself with the help of a local farmer and his tractor.

More fun added to this damn headache.

Based off the aerial photos, The tree does belong to my neighbor. Its dead center on the property line... Although the shitty thing is that the insurance will not cover any of my fence or dirt removal / mound cause we never sent our neighbor a notarized letter stating a concern that their tree could fall and cause damage to our fence. -_-

So for the next few weekends I get to do the fun task of removing all that dirt to the dump, leveling the ground, and attempt to put in a fence.

First year of home ownership is going swell 

LOL

*edit*

Jeep ended up getting totaled 

Justin,

Fight it.  Ask them to reference the particular clause in their policy that requires this.  I was offered $250 for a wall that both my contractor and their independent evaluator stated was nearly $2000 (and they were within a few tens of dollars of agreeing with each-other).  Luckily, I was smart enough to get a copy of the evaluator's report before he left.  The insurance company every quickly changed their tune once I mentioned that, and they paid out in full.

Regards,

Graeme

Archived