Sad times for Jaguar Land Rover

RedRover

It's been in the news for a couple of days but there has been a pretty massive writedown on Tata / JLR.  The past quarter saw a £3.4 billon loss for Tata.

Not the best news for Land Rover (or Jaguar) enthusiasts.  Takeaways:

• China sales are off

• Europe doesn't want diesels anymore.

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/cnn_biz_20190208.png

News:

Jaguar Land Rover Causes Biggest Loss in Indian Corporate History

Jaguar Land Rover Takes $4.4B hit, writes down value of cars, plants

Jaguar Land Rover Considers Financing Options After Shock Writedown

Jaguar Land Rover Hit by Big Loss

Opinion:

The Wheels Have Come Off at Jaguar Land Rover

It's been in the news for a couple of days but there has been a pretty massive writedown on Tata / JLR.  The past quarter saw a £3.4 billon loss for Tata.

Not the best news for Land Rover (or Jaguar) enthusiasts.  Takeaways:

• China sales are off

• Europe doesn't want diesels anymore.

Jared,

I think your first bullet point is a little off.  One in three cars sold in Europe is a diesel.  Oh, so let's forget that market as it is only 5 million cars per year ....

If you look at the balance sheet, it is Jaguar that are the sink on JLR, not LR.  Sadly.

Graeme

Jared,

I think your first bullet point is a little off.  One in three cars sold in Europe is a diesel.  Oh, so let's forget that market as it is only 5 million cars per year ....

If you look at the balance sheet, it is Jaguar that are the sink on JLR, not LR.  Sadly.

Graeme

You are correct, Graeme.  The Forbes article mentioned that there is a slump in diesel sales, which accounted for 90% of Britain's sales in '17... I assumed that carried across Europe, but only about 30-40% of European vehicle sales recently have been diesel.

Maybe they'll take this as a sign that going higher and higher end and further away from functional and utilitarian isn't the only move.

(Though I suspect they'll read it the opposite and think they just need to add even more high-margin luxo versions)

Archived