Defender 2020 coming to America. Good thing or Good luck?

lithium1330

Plenty of news broke this morning about the upcoming Defender.

Be on a look out for test rigs in the wild, like the fanciest shoppes and Starbucks. :P

IMO, if LR wants the new Defender to be a success (benchmark against Jeep Wrangler units sold) and not another failure to launch like the last run, they need to priced similar to the jeeps. 40k to 55k?

Even then, I’m not sure new defender has the brand weigh as Jeep to the American buyers.

Unlike the mid-90’s when LR tried and failed with the Defender NAS, this segment is even more crowded.

What do you think?

It just doesn't have that "Defender" look. To me its just another LR3 / LR4 off breed... Which isn't bad, but don't call it a defender. 

Granted, maybe when they release photos outside of the hideous wrap we can get a better idea of its body lines. 

Plenty of news broke this morning about the upcoming Defender.

Be on a look out for test rigs in the wild, like the fanciest shoppes and Starbucks. :P

IMO, if LR wants the new Defender to be a success (benchmark against Jeep Wrangler units sold) and not another failure to launch like the last run, they need to priced similar to the jeeps. 40k to 55k?

Even then, I’m not sure new defender has the brand weigh as Jeep to the American buyers.

Unlike the mid-90’s when LR tried and failed with the Defender NAS, this segment is even more crowded.

What do you think?

So there's a few targets to hit with one vehicle: the traditionalist which by numbers isn't going ever their priority in the US, second one is those pursuing the older ones now and doing restoration/mods to have something that's not a Jeep, FJ or bronco in the office parking lot. I think they are interested in capturing this group along with the folks who know the brand based on luxury pricing and association...the G wagon crowd.

I think where I see Jeep evolving over the last 10 years is really pulling from the enthusiast base as they build the updates and I have yet to see LR do that and frankly most other brands take the same approach which is we know what's best for you attitude.

I'm fairly certain with the variations in the models they will be near the Wrangler. But I think it's going to lack the ability to capture the enthusiast so it will be going for the niche buyers looking for something different... just not sure that will give them the numbers they are striving to achieve.

They will also be cross competing with the range Rover, as LR still hasn't clearly educated the market that the rr is a model vs another brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For years I've said the next Defender should be targeting the Wrangler Rubicon.

Give me 95% the capability of a Rubi; more payload and towing; and keep it around the $50K mark.  Make it easy to personalize and modify for your own needs (ala Jeep).  Now start throwing up some adds talking up the history and cash in on the overlanding bandwagon as it rolls on by!  I mean come on, it's the original overlander!

But no - instead we're going to get a luxury vehicle.  All the test photos show us it's just a rebodied D5 with all the negatives that implies - I'm sure it will be fairly capable stock but will be next to impossible to build for a real off road vehicle.  The independent suspension and unibody pretty much guarantees that.  And given Rover's recent marketing strategy I expect it will be priced more like a G than a Jeep.  I expect it will be more at home on dirt roads than real trails, just like all modern Rovers.  

As they say ... 'prove me wrong'

I agree with Justin, Greg and Don.   Looks like a LR4 without the raised roof and the size of a D5.  Just as well, I'm not buying new stuff anyway.  Sad to see though as by the time my kid is ready to own his first, discos and RRC's will be 40 years old.  

Archived