California Restoration Shops for Disco I

Hello all-

New to the forum and club. I bought a 50th Anniversary 1998 Disco 1 a couple of months back and wanted to do some upgrades over the due course of time. I am thinking of a TDi swap in particular. 

Beyond 

-Fluids

-Air filter

-Changing the oil/tires

-Radiator flush

-Spark plugs

-brake pads

-fuel filter

I have no mechanical know how. Does anyone have an shops that the recommend for full package upgrades/engine swaps in California (and Bay Area in Particular)?

Welcome,

I'm not in the bay area (Sacramento) so I can't really recommend any shops in your area.  I can however encourage you to start learning how to do these things.  It takes some courage and a little help (all of which you can find on this forum/club)  but you can do it.  In the end it's all just nuts and bolts.  If you're up in sac area I know people like British Car Service in Sac and I have had good luck with Gene Macafferty's in rocklin.  I was feel I was overcharged many years ago at Stewarts in Sacramento but haven't been there in years.  I know people speak highly of Cerronies (redwood city I believe).  All of those will get the job done if you're really wanting a professional.  The club will also host wrenching days in various locations where you can show up and people will help you for FREE!!  A bonus is plenty of learning, cold beverages and questionable company (haha).  

If you want to haul out to my place on thursday night this week I'm sure we can knock a few of those things off your list during our monthly Drip in the Driveway gathering.

Best of luck

Check Natale’s Auto Repair in Campbell. They helped with an electrical gremlin I had a few years ago and also drilled out some busted bolts in my exhaust manifold and put in new motor mounts. The guy was fair and did a good job. I would use him again if I needed anything done in a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with Mr. Fuller above, I'd encourage anybody to learn which end of a wrench to hold.  Especially if they plan a long-term relationship with an older Rover.  It can be enjoyable and it'll save you a lot of money over the long haul.  

But, to your immediate concern I haven't worked with any bay/peninsula shops myself.  All the people listed have been used by club members before.  As with any shop, some have had better experiences than others. 

One other shop I'd highly recommend is CT Motorworks in Walnut Creek.  I realize that's not so close to you so you may not want to go there for simple jobs.  The owner's name is Colin - he's a long-time club member and multiple Rover owner.  He's also not afraid to take on things like engine swaps.

However, your biggest hurdle with a TDi conversion isn't the nuts and bolts, it's the politics.  The disco was never sold in the CA with that motor, so it's not going to be easy to deal with the DMV/CARB issues.   Our whatsap peninsula chat group has a lot of diesel chatter when it comes time to look deeper into that particular topic.

BTW, don't forget we have the Western National Land Rover Rally coming up next month!  Hope you'll be there!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived