Spring break snow trip to UTC

So pretty epic day yesterday…impromptu trip with Matt as he's getting set for deployment.

Matt Prouse and I got started leaving Roseville at 930 and met up with Jaimy in Auburn at the confluence around 10. From there we headed on to Georgetown for gas top off and restroom break.

We left Georgetown, and made it to the unplowed section by 11 am, spent some time airing down and letting the kids play.

While getting set to go we met a couple of other rigs 1st gen 4r and a YJ. I had connected with the HS 4x4 Podcast guys before we headed out to see if they were interested and they let me know a newer member to their show, Tyler, would be out…sure enough, he was driving the 4r. Chatted with them and we all decided to go into UTC together.

We got headed on the road made it there by 1230ish, hung out for a while BSing and letting the kids play while having lunch.

The snow into UTC was low and easy to navigate, so we chatted up the idea of pushing to Icehouse road given the conditions.

Everyone was in favor, and we headed on around 2 pm to see if we could make it. We got about a mile from UTC as we started a big hill climb that had a considerable amount of snow on it, anywhere from 4-5 ft. Challenge was it was full sun facing and melting fast, and in sections, there was running steam under it.

We spent some time trying to get through a very tough section, Tyler who is on the 37s ended up being the only one not to get stuck towed the Jeep up the hill. Prouse then towed me through as my rear locker was not engaging correctly.

We then waited to see if Jaimy could get through and he was not, so I backed up to try and pull him out only to get my self-stuck. So we were two down…Matt backed up to try and recover me, and we were going to a train up the hill. Only to have Matt get stuck too. Luckily we had Tyler come back down to help, he was going to pull Jaimy up, and Matt was going to free me again as we were able to dig him out.

At this point Matt and I began to head back up the hill as he was able to get me free, it was tough going, and we had left the tow ropes connected in case I found myself stuck again. As we were making our way, Matt found it tough getting over a built-up section and had to back up to gain speed and pushover. As he was backing he went to get on the brake to stop and shift to go forward and as he was doing his foot slid off the brake onto the gas pedal he few black and crashed into me. His rear tire collided with my grill and hood pushing the radiator back an inch and a half. So quickly shut it down to investigate. Busted some blades from the fan as the shroud was stuck onto the fan…so we cut that off to free the fan up. Didn’t have any visually leaks so that was good.

As we were working to get me going a couple of built rigs on 40s who had passed when we first got stuck had come back down from reaching Icehouse and said that since we had not moved our best bet was to turn around as the road only got drastically worse. We took their advice and got ourselves turned around. By this time it was 5pm…we made it back to Georgetown by 8 pm after having stopped at Stumpeemeadows reservoir for a bathroom break and then again to air back up where we started.

The D1 did okay on the way back; it started to get warm as we were approaching UTC again as we were working hard to make it through the slush…however, never came out of the normal range.

Ended up back at home by 930 making it a full 12-hour shift.

All in all a really fun trip, beautiful weather, and fantastic views.

Now it is time to put “humpy Dumpty” back together in time for the Rubicon season!

We will definitely be ending up on the High Sierra 4x4 Podcast under Land Rover stuck file….lol

9c5b71ab28a44e3f26848ac494bf617a.jpgc43ec9ae48d83a874cb77659e6836c62.jpg863f43dd649a7d77c31c65b9b6da5c08.jpg503d5cf07471f526b75ee146a7b7621b.jpgb369c343dc501394202a61503ed51cac.jpg640174e3cc4074d872b3866853d774c0.jpg4bb5bae53e4276e016820deeebb5f875.jpg7d3888d96afe8bfe12cac36e4ef27411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some awesome pictures. I’ve been trying to get up there to the snow this year try out my new air lockers. Sorry to hear about the accident.

We'll give you a chance to test those ARBs out at the MORG next Saturday!

Archived