Intro to the Rubicon '18

I can be at the trailhead rather early. I am up on a regular basis at 4 AM and could be at the trailhead at 8-9:00am. I think in 2 1/2 weeks this warm weather is going to melt most of the snow away. Anyway I am excited for the challenge of whatever nature leaves us at the time we’re going to do this. Are we going to do this?

Dang it.  You guys need to come over and finish my bathroom remodel while I'm at work so I can go play on the weekends.  All these cool trips coming up seem like a lot of fun.  

I might be able to find you some assistance for a day depending on what/when.  Gotta get Mr. Fuller on the trail more!

I might be able to find you some assistance for a day depending on what/when. Gotta get Mr. Fuller on the trail more!

I'm fairly certain I could use one my 30 PTO days to help you...we are encouraged to take mental health days and with grad school I find myself not calling in weekly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So remember a few posts back where I said I thought the warm weather was here and holding....?

Apparently the meteorology degree I got from that box of cracker jacks wasn't all that good.

They got another foot of snow yesterday and expect a few more inches today.  The cold weather this week says no or minimal melt off.  There's a small chance of more snow again late next week.

I think we'll have to move it back a few more weeks.  I knew April was pushing it but for so long this was a dry year so I guess I got complacent.  Let's look at dates in May.

Unfortunately, I have something on the books every weekend in May.

5th - MORG

12th - working

19th - working

26th - NCLR winery event

I can't cancel my working weekends so that means I'd have to get somebody else to cover the MORG (possible) if we go on the 5th or skip the Winery event on the 26th.  I'm fine with that but I don't know if anybody else who's interested in this run was planning to attend.  

Chime in with your thoughts.  

So remember a few posts back where I said I thought the warm weather was here and holding....?

Apparently the meteorology degree I got from that box of cracker jacks wasn't all that good.

They got another foot of snow yesterday and expect a few more inches today. The cold weather this week says no or minimal melt off. There's a small chance of more snow again late next week.

I think we'll have to move it back a few more weeks. I knew April was pushing it but for so long this was a dry year so I guess I got complacent. Let's look at dates in May.

Unfortunately, I have something on the books every weekend in May.

5th - MORG

12th - working

19th - working

26th - NCLR winery event

I can't cancel my working weekends so that means I'd have to get somebody else to cover the MORG (possible) if we go on the 5th or skip the Winery event on the 26th. I'm fine with that but I don't know if anybody else who's interested in this run was planning to attend.

Chime in with your thoughts.

I doubt the 5th would work anyways, it’s only an extra week and 3 weeks away total.

Well at least that's not memorial day weekend...oh wait it is.  

Well crap...that's out then.  It'll be a madhouse up there on a holiday weekend.  No Bueno.

The next weekend is June 2nd - which is the MORG.  Perhaps we do it then anyway and I get somebody else to lead?  As of now I also have the next weekend, June 9th free, but we're trying to do a thru-run in June already.

The weekends of the 12th and 19th I'm only working one day each.  I couldn't do an overnight run, but may be able to do a day run.  Let me stew on this for a while...

OK, I had hoped to get in this intro trip prior to our thru-run, but between weather and schedules it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  

I may still sneak up there for a day run on short notice depending on what's happening over the next few weeks and if so I'll post up here and on the Jefferson Whatsap group.  Keep your eyes open for that.

In the mean time, Lutzi and I are doing a full run at the beginning of June - new thread started!

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5416-rubicon-june-4-7/

It would be awesome if you could still pull off a day trip for the Rubicon. I have reservations doing a drive-through without first testing the waters. I feel my truck is completely up to the task except for clearance I am running the 32 inch tires. Let me know .

It would be awesome if you could still pull off a day trip for the Rubicon. I have reservations doing a drive-through without first testing the waters. I feel my truck is completely up to the task except for clearance I am running the 32 inch tires. Let me know .

Your tire size will be fine but you will definitely need to lean on your sliders some and will also end up dropping your rear bumper onto some rocks. There aren’t a lot of big drops, but there’s a couple you’ll have to do that will drag your ass. If you go through Cadillac, smaller tires and lower clearance can make it a little frustrating since there’s less line options, but patience and spotters will get you through. The main damage that you see people take is when they don’t plan for a lean. You’ll be going through a section that’s tight, and you’ll have enough room if the vehicle stays straight up, but then a rock throws you off camber and puts your side into a rock. I’ve lost many a tail light that way. Wish I could go up with you guys, but week day trips aren’t really possible for me with work in the summer. I might be doing a 3 day weekend trip later in the summer if anyone wants to join me. Probably in late August.

Yes, it's doable on 32s for sure, just have to be careful and take your time.   Last year a couple of RRCs on 31s did it, but not without some issues.

In a D2 I think the most likely body damage is the squeeze near the top of big sluice.  Very easy to tag a taillight there.

My weekends are filling up fast so it's unlikely I'll be able to get up there on a weekend.  All my clients seem to assume I'm available 24/7 and twice as much on the weekend.  But I've already schedule the week off for this trip as outlined in the thread.

Archived