Intro to the Rubicon '18

In another thread discussing upcoming 2018 spring/summer trips we'be begun talking about doing a June Rubicon run.  

I know some of you haven't done this trail before but the name 'Rubicon' looms large in the minds of any 4wd owner.  You may however be asking yourself 'is my truck up to the task?'  Well what better way to find out than by doing a short day-trip to test the waters so to speak.

Let's target May for a 1-day run.  We can go in early via Loon Lake and spend the day playing on the slabs or maybe run down to Spider Lake then back out.  It's possible to make it an overnight if there's interest but I'm thinking we want to keep this as accessible as possible.

What sort of equipment is needed?

While it's possible to do the trip with a relatively modest truck, this isn't the place for a stock truck.  What I'd suggest as a minimum:

32" AT or MT tires

2-3" lift

diff guards and sliders

CDL

rear locker

solid recovery points f/r

working winch

Of course you'll need your regular recovery and safety gear as well.

For this 'intro' trip I'd be more open to easing those requirements as it will help you get a feeling for exactly what you're looking at on a trail like this.  In short, if you want to try it drop me a line and let me know what you're driving and we'll discuss.  

Now the big question:  Who's interested and what dates look good for you?  Pending weather, I'd suggest late April/early May.   As a start, I'll suggest April 28th or May 12th.   I'm out for 4/21, and 5/5 is the May MORG so those weekends are already booked.

Chime in below!

Ah, it appears June 12th is Mother's day, so I'm getting some push back on that one. How does April 28th look?.

Bueler?

May 12th is Mother’s Day. That is really pushing the timeline for the snow to melt. May might just end up to be impossible if this weather holds us any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, sorry, May, not June.

As noted, this is all pending weather.  We can't really plan anything solid in the mountains given the weather so we can just take our best guess.  This week's storms have been pretty warm and the snow levels have been high for the most part so they're not really hurting our chances too much but I don't know how much is on the ground at Loon/Wentworth currently.  That part of the trail is in the 6500' range so I'm sure there's snow now, just not sure when it will clear.

Again, this is a simple in/out, not a thru-run.  A chance for people to get a taste of what the Rubicon is like.  I'd probably go in via Loon and back out via Wentworth.   I'd like to get this in a month or so before the full run so anybody who's not sure can try it and make upgrades/repairs as needed before doing the whole trail.  Lutz and I are trying to do a full run in June, so targeting May for this was my initial idea.

Ah, sorry, May, not June.

As noted, this is all pending weather. We can't really plan anything solid in the mountains given the weather so we can just take our best guess. This week's storms have been pretty warm and the snow levels have been high for the most part so they're not really hurting our chances too much but I don't know how much is on the ground at Loon/Wentworth currently. That part of the trail is in the 6500' range so I'm sure there's snow now, just not sure when it will clear.

Again, this is a simple in/out, not a thru-run. A chance for people to get a taste of what the Rubicon is like. I'd probably go in via Loon and back out via Wentworth. I'd like to get this in a month or so before the full run so anybody who's not sure can try it and make upgrades/repairs as needed before doing the whole trail. Lutz and I are trying to do a full run in June, so targeting May for this was my initial idea.

Just a heads up, the Rubithon Land Cruiser event is the weekend of June 23rd.

Got it - Not going June 23rd!

Which calendar did you see that on?

I just googled it. I’ve done that event a couple times and knew it was usually late June. The other two big events I can think of would be the jeepers jamboree, which has 2 weekends (7/28 and 8/4) and the Marlin Crawler Round Up 9/15.

Got it - Not going June 23rd!

Which calendar did you see that on?

I have subscribed to FOTR calendar similar to ours via google...it’s nice to look at and see when groups are going.

At the moment I’m good for the April date, hopefully this holds but as long as I get out there once or twice this year I’ll be happy.

OK, so VERY TENTATIVELY we'll go with April 28th

This is all dependent on the weather cooperating as it's very early in the year.  I know there's a bunch of snow up there from all our March storms - let's hope it's passable by then!  

Anybody else up for this?  I know Greg wants to come play - who else?

This is all dependent on the weather cooperating as it's very early in the year. I know there's a bunch of snow up there from all our March storms - let's hope it's passable by then!

Anybody else up for this? I know Greg wants to come play - who else?

I don’t think that date is going to be realistic. Might as well schedule it to something with a better chance of happening since it can be very frustrating to cancel plans. I’ve been surprised by massive amounts of snow at that elevation into June before. I would think late May would make the most sense as the earliest time to try to plan anything up there.

This is all dependent on the weather cooperating as it's very early in the year. I know there's a bunch of snow up there from all our March storms - let's hope it's passable by then!

Btw, I’m down to go if it’s going to be an overnight at Spider or even Buck. It’s a long drive from San Jose for a day trip.

I'm not sure if I'll be ready by then...

Pirate 4x4 and following #rubicontrail on IG gives insight into current conditions.

I'm not sure if I'll be ready by then...

Pirate 4x4 and following #rubicontrail on IG gives insight into current conditions.

OF COURSE you'll be ready by then!  A hammer, some zip ties (aka hi-tech bailing wire) and a junkyard headlight and you're golden!

• 2 weeks later...
I definitely want to try to make this work for the 28th. I’m supposed to be working and will have to move some things around. Been doing that a lot lately with my customers. I will know by the end of this week if I can pull this off. I’ve been more than curious to see the capabilities of my truck now that I put the ARB Lockers. I’m thinking this would be a good trip to do that with. I’d be up to spendinvite the night there too.

I’m in for the 28th. Now to buy a winch and spare tire...

Maybe a rear recovery point while you're at it.  After all, I may need a tow  :)

I haven't looked at a snow update, but I think we can hope for clear enough for a short run.  In at Loon, then we can camp on the slabs, at Spider, or even back at Wentworth.  I'll try to find a snow status update to help with planning so we can (hopefully) lock this down.

Latest update I could find was from 4/1:

Loon trailhead: 2' to 6' of snow. Track from Loon to Wentworth is in. Conditions have been difficult...deep slushy snow layers and now lots of water moving in the drainages. Even in the morning, the conditions aren't good.

It seems like the warm weather is here and holding.  If it does, I think we're still good for an overnight 'intro' run at the end of this month.  We may run into some snow still but I'm thinking it should be passable at the Loon/Slabs area.

Would you be heading up on Friday and campat trail head/loon then start Saturday morning?

I have commitments Friday night but can likely do Saturday should I have it running by then.

I'd be interested in loon to Wentworth or even just playing on the slabs.

I'm pretty open to camping at the trailhead Friday evening or going in early Saturday and camping on the trail that night.   I'm sure we can get you out there!

Archived