April MORG

April 7th is the date for the next MORG.  This was scheduled to be at Folsom Lake, however we're going to have to change that up.  Seems we're getting conflicting reports about the legality of wheeling the lake area.  While we've done it many times and never had an issue, some people have been ticketed wheeling there.  I suspect it's a question of how many people you have, how you're behaving, and the mood of any LEOs who happen by at an given time.

Not wanting to set a bad example, even if by accident, we'll plan to by-pass Folsom for now.

Last month we were supposed to do a snow run, but it didn't happen for a variety of reasons.  I've tried several times to get it in since but I can't seem to find a date that works for people.  

Is there interest in making April a snow MORG?  I have no idea what the conditions will be like by then but I'm sure we can find someplace to play.

We could even consider the original plan of doing Signal Peak.  The seasonal closure is supposed to lift on April 1st, unless they extend it due to weather.    At the moment there's lots of snow up there, but with this warm rain I don't know how much we'll have in 2 weeks.  Even if we have no snow it's a fun trail.  

Not getting much traction on this thread so just bumping it to the top.

I know we got a bunch of weather last week, but it's already back up to 70* this week so the snows will be melting fast.

What I'm thinking is this:

Meet at noon at the Signal Peak trailhead.  Depending on what the snow conditions are then choose if we want to go up the regular route or if the snow looks deep and we have more stock-ish trucks we can go up the reverse route, taking the fire roads instead of the more difficult trail.  

The campground is not yet open, so we'll keep this as a one-day event instead of an overnight.

Groups can organize convoys from the bay or Sacramento areas depending on who's coming from where.

I have some snow-spies heading into the hills tomorrow to give me some reports, but even if we don't make it to the top we should have a good time trying.

So who's in???

Hey, another week of 75* days like this and I'm not sure how much snow we'll have!

Don,

Unofficial Recce done today ....

Although I80 is totally dry and just a scenic covering of snow on the surrounding countryside, Eagle Lakes Road is another situation entirely.  After the first sweeping left hand bend after the freeway exit, where the road starts to descend, there is a good amount of snow, with only small amounts of asphalt visible.  I had hoped to get to the trail-head, but after trying the snow-plough thing for a while, I realized that even if I got down there, I might not get back.  I can however confirm that the Model 3 traction control is amazing!  To the point that when you are in standard mode, and you get stuck, you can floor the accelerator and the wheels won't even turn!  Luckily, there is a slip-start mode, and that allows enough slip to rock your way out of deep snow.

A few pictures are attached.

(edit: I just remembered I had bought some snow chains, but forgot they were in the back .... that could have made it more fun!)

Regards,

Graeme

post-618-0-78989600-1522552948_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-13757300-1522552997_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-64913800-1522553025_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-72121900-1522553063_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report!  Glad there's still snow on the hill - let's see what it looks like in a week - hopefully still enough to make it a challenge.

Thanks for the report!  Glad there's still snow on the hill - let's see what it looks like in a week - hopefully still enough to make it a challenge.

Don,

Hmmmm, I got thinking about this. 

235x45xR18-265x75xR16.png

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-45r18-265-75r16

Offset: +40PCD: 5X114.3  Center Bore: 64.1mm

Darn it!  None of my wheels fit!

Graeme

I can tell you from experience that the LR3's traction control will also shut you down completely even with your foot to the floor, just letting the truck idle along.  That works well on some snow, but other times it's incredibly frustrating when you just need a little more momentum to make it over that hill or obstetrical.  Which is why I usually try to disable it as much as possible as soon as I get off paved roads.

I'm sure the tech has come a long way since '07, but I'm willing to bet Tesla's enginerds didn't have trail breaking through 3' of snow as one of their design criteria.

Meet at noon at the Signal Peak trailhead.  Depending on what the snow conditions are then choose if we want to go up the regular route or if the snow looks deep and we have more stock-ish trucks we can go up the reverse route, taking the fire roads instead of the more difficult trail.  

so where is signal peak exactly (or mostly)? the googles is giving something way down in so cal. 

It's off 80, near Cisco Grove.  The trailhead is just past the Indian Springs campground (closed for winter currently)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indian+Springs/@39.3277407,-120.5669584,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xebc1f995d89cb7b0!8m2!3d39.329339!4d-120.5694312

I know it's a bit of a haul for people coming from the bay area, so I pushed start time back to noon from our usual 10 to make it easier on you guys.

To make a bit more of a day out of it, we can plan to catch dinner as a group on the way home as well.  Now don't ask me where, but I'm sure we can make something work.

It's off 80, near Cisco Grove. The trailhead is just past the Indian Springs campground (closed for winter currently)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indian+Springs/@39.3277407,-120.5669584,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xebc1f995d89cb7b0!8m2!3d39.329339!4d-120.5694312

I know it's a bit of a haul for people coming from the bay area, so I pushed start time back to noon from our usual 10 to make it easier on you guys.

To make a bit more of a day out of it, we can plan to catch dinner as a group on the way home as well. Now don't ask me where, but I'm sure we can make something work.

ok cool. thx for info. will think about it bc yeah it's quite a haul for a one-day thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

So, has anyone looked at the weather report for the weekend?  Bay area news is saying 3" of rain accumulation or more from Friday to Sunday.

MORG on Signal Peak....carry shovels and chains.

Yes, it's supposed to rain on Friday and snow on Saturday.  Friday rainfall expected to be .5"  Saturday forecast says 3-5" of snow starting in the afternoon.  Sounds perfect for a snow run to me!  I'm sick and tired of cancelling these things because of a little weather.  If I can manage in a topless truck I think the rest of you slackers can handle it in your cozy roof-equipped vehicles!

YES - bring chains if you have them

YES - bring a shove (but you do that anyway, right??)

YES - it may rain or snow on you - what, you made of sugar and going to melt??

YES - you own a Rover that is capable of dealing with a little weather!

YES - the weather may make it more challenging

YES - challenging = more fun!

YES - this run is STILL ON!

Do you hear me?  THE RUN IS STILL ON!!!

Yes, it's supposed to rain on Friday and snow on Saturday.  Friday rainfall expected to be .5"  Saturday forecast says 3-5" of snow starting in the afternoon.  Sounds perfect for a snow run to me!  I'm sick and tired of cancelling these things because of a little weather.  If I can manage in a topless truck I think the rest of you slackers can handle it in your cozy roof-equipped vehicles!

Do you hear me?  THE RUN IS STILL ON!!!

Don's doing the run topless?! Scary .... hold on .... did I misunderstand something again!!!

Graeme

I like the idea of having some fresh snow coming in on Saturday.I’m looking forward to the trip.

That's the spirit!  

Pain is temporary...glory is forever...chicks dig scars...

:D

That's the spirit!

Pain is temporary...glory is forever...chicks dig scars...

:D

I have your scars...🤣🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess what? I’m in. This is gonna be a fun trip full of adventure and challenges. We will face this whether head on and dominat it with our Incredibly awesome off-road vehicles. Come on everybody let’s do this.

I like your attitude sir!

I live for the challenge. That is why I bought a land rover. I don’t want to go out when it’s sunny, (maybe sometimes). But I like a challenge and I am looking forward to some fresh snow dirty mud. and I love the snow and let it rain bring it on!!!!

Archived