Snow Run (was March MORG)

We may have missed out on a snow-MORG, but we still need to get out and play in the white stuff.

I have to work this Saturday (3/10) but could go on Sunday.

Sunday isn't ideal for some people as we already have the first SRS (Social Rover Sunday) scheduled in Rocklin that day, plus it's supposed to be raining/snowing as well.  I have no idea how hard it may come down or at what elevation.

That is fairly short notice as well.

Or we could push it to the following weekend and do it on Saturday (3/17).  I don't think this conflicts with anything already on the calendar (?) and if we run late or even decide to camp you won't have to worry about getting up and going to work in the morning.

Chime in and let me know what the majority prefer!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of the 17, not sure if I can make it yet as we have tentative family plans...fingers crossed as we haven't been to the snow yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm up for anything that's actually open - which is very little.

I'm thinking we head up Meadow Lake Rd and try to get to Bowman Lake.  I don't expect to get that far but it would make a good goal.

MET is always open but it's usually a mad house unless you want to start really early and try to get out before the party/yahoo crowds kick into full force.

I'm not sure what our other (legal) options are?  

I still haven't been to Uncle Tom's cabin...how about forest Hill area @coachmac

Uncle Tom's is always an option, but we'd want to go early as it's usually very popular.  

I'm open for either.  Uncle Tom's would probably be easier and closer for most people.  If we go that way we'd want to meet in Georgetown fairly early and head in from there.  

So unless somebody has a better idea, here are the two options on the table:

#1-

Meet in Nevada City and head up Meadow Lake Rd with a goal of reaching Bowman Lake.  Most likely we won't actually get to the lake but we can push as far as we want before turning around.  If you want, you could make it an overnight and come out the next day.

This is the longer and more adventurous option.

#2-

Meet at Georgetown and head to Uncle Tom's Cabin.  

This is a shorter run and will certainly have traffic as UT's is very popular.  After UT's we can continue down Wentworth Springs rd and exit via Ice House Rd to 50 instead of coming back through Georgetown.

I'm up for either option - just let me know what the majority prefer.  Either way those coming up from the bay might want to caravan together to the starting point.  We should try to lock this down sooner rather than later.  We are likely to see some rain/snow with either route.  

I'll also throw this up on the Jefferson whatsap group - I think the south bay guys have a whatsap group as well if somebody wants to share there.

I'm getting closer to just calling this for UTC - any last hold-outs?

Just working to make sure we can get away... further family visiting from a far so hopefully everything lines up!

What rig are you going to go up in?

I'm taking the D1.  Still haven't recieved the replacement strut from Arnott for the LR3.....  :angry:

(they've had my busted one for 2 weeks but it took several harassing emails to get them to actually ship the replacement...yesterday)

For you bead lock guys.  I would like to see how low you can go on the pressure.  I was about 6 on mine last month and it was fine.   Just squatty enough to get good traction but I think you guys could go even lower, and may need to due to the large quantity of snow forecasted.  I like wentworth springs rd in the snow  it's usually fun but Uncle Toms Cabin isn't really my cup of tea.  I think your group would do well to press on past the cabin and head out to ice house road as you earlier suggested.  Depending on your progress you could even make out toward Loon Lake and the Rubicon trailhead.  As a side note, before lift kits and big tires we used to do our winter snow wheeling/camping trip off wentworth springs rd as the conditions were plenty challenging for us in stock ish rigs.  Have fun guys and ill be monitoring the local repeaters if you get in a bad way.  

For you bead lock guys. I would like to see how low you can go on the pressure. I was about 6 on mine last month and it was fine. Just squatty enough to get good traction but I think you guys could go even lower, and may need to due to the large quantity of snow forecasted. I like wentworth springs rd in the snow it's usually fun but Uncle Toms Cabin isn't really my cup of tea. I think your group would do well to press on past the cabin and head out to ice house road as you earlier suggested. Depending on your progress you could even make out toward Loon Lake and the Rubicon trailhead. As a side note, before lift kits and big tires we used to do our winter snow wheeling/camping trip off wentworth springs rd as the conditions were plenty challenging for us in stock ish rigs. Have fun guys and ill be monitoring the local repeaters if you get in a bad way.

Looks like there will be a lot of fresh snow. If it’s anything like a couple weeks ago, you guys will have to going real low. Like maybe 3psi would have sufficient squish factor. I was having a lot of trouble at 5 with 305/70/16’s, dropping another couple psi really makes a big difference in those conditions. Should be an interesting day. It’s always nice up there when there’s snow on the trees.

This will be my first go at snow with the D1 and beadlocks.  I'm thinking 5 sounds like a good place to start but could drop more if needed.  I haven't tried running it that low.  I think 8 is about as low as I've taken in the rocks.

Might I suggest that those who attend pick up some leg gaiters.  Sure keeps the snow out of your boots nice and your legs dry if you get the waterproof type.  I have been happy with these.  Not the top of the line but I liked the coated understrap and zipper in the front.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WH4U7KU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would be willing to bet bass pro has something you could use and they are off I-80 on your way to the trail head.

Archived