Mixing LR4 tires?

mirowsky

Got a pinhole sidewall leak in one of the 4 Toyo Open Country H/T 255/55 R19 111Vs on my LR4. Questions: (a) Do I need to replace the leaky tire? (B) If yes, do I need to replace at least two tires, to match on left and right sides of one "axel?" © Can I replace with all-terrain tires such as Cooper Zeon LZTs? 

OK. Maybe I can find the actual new-tire radius and tread width for old and new on the web. The old had only about 12k miles, so hopefully wear will not be too great a factor. I read that tires can be shaved, but that seems crazy.

Thanks.

John 

OK. Maybe I can find the actual new-tire radius and tread width for old and new on the web. The old had only about 12k miles, so hopefully wear will not be too great a factor. I read that tires can be shaved, but that seems crazy.

Thanks.

John

i don't know much about lr4's, but I assume they are awd and not 4wd all the time. Either way, it isn't a big deal if your tires aren't the same size as long as they are close, like within an inch or so. I'd probably run the odd tire in the rear so it doesn't affect the alignment much.

Also, repairing the pin hole is an option. Are you sure it's on the side wall? Just seems like an odd place to get a small leak. If it isn't, plugging is pretty quick and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read your other post, guess it definitely is the sidewall. Bummer. Maybe time to step up to some offroad tires? Tire patches can be done too, but I don't know of any places that still do that. I'd probably replace anyways considering the "wrinkle".

i don't know much about lr4's, but I assume they are awd and not 4wd all the time. Either way, it isn't a big deal if your tires aren't the same size as long as they are close, like within an inch or so. I'd probably run the odd tire in the rear so it doesn't affect the alignment much.

Also, repairing the pin hole is an option. Are you sure it's on the side wall? Just seems like an odd place to get a small leak. If it isn't, plugging is pretty quick and easy.

Not sure what you mean by 'awd and not 4wd all the time' ?  

The LR4 is just like the LR3 is just like the D2, D1, RRC, etc in that it's full time 4wd.  The CDL on the LR4 is controlled by the computer instead of a manual selection like the earlier LT230 trucks, but it's full time 4wd. 

As all differentials are 'normally open', a small difference in diameter probably wouldn't matter much.  Say 1/4".  Nor would it be a big deal on soft/slick surfaces.  But given a choice you should still try to be as close as possible in tire size.   

It would be worth checking what the manual says on this to be sure, though if I were to bet on it I'd expect them to err on the side of caution and say match the tires. 

I don't expect you need to buy 4 tires - you can look up the specs on what that model tire is new and compare it to how much wear you have on your current tires.  If you're not far off it should be fine.

Not sure what you mean by 'awd and not 4wd all the time' ?

The LR4 is just like the LR3 is just like the D2, D1, RRC, etc in that it's full time 4wd. The CDL on the LR4 is controlled by the computer instead of a manual selection like the earlier LT230 trucks, but it's full time 4wd.

As all differentials are 'normally open', a small difference in diameter probably wouldn't matter much. Say 1/4". Nor would it be a big deal on soft/slick surfaces. But given a choice you should still try to be as close as possible in tire size.

It would be worth checking what the manual says on this to be sure, though if I were to bet on it I'd expect them to err on the side of caution and say match the tires.

I don't expect you need to buy 4 tires - you can look up the specs on what that model tire is new and compare it to how much wear you have on your current tires. If you're not far off it should be fine.

Awd means you have a center diff, not just a locked transfer case

Thanks folks. 

The pinhole is definitely on the sidewall. If it was in the tread area I would try to plug it myself. I got the kit and have been itching to try it.

It looks to me like the old and new diameters should be well within an inch. Also, I plan to match the front two and the rear two, on the belief that only the center diff will have to adjust for any non-match of diameter and grip. (Correct me if you think this is wrong). The odd old tire will go on the spare (replacing the last "best" of the original tires with sidewalls chewed in the Mojave and Death Valley).  

Archived