Name that noise

jlmoped

Last week I put the LR4 in off-road height to examine the lift rods.  I didn't change the lift rods.  I left it at that height for about 5-6 days.  Yesterday while driving it at the off-road height I noticed a new noise near the driver side rear wheel/suspension.  It sounded like a rattling tin can.  Is that from the thin metal shield around the air suspension surrounding the air bladder?  Is that the sway bar or something loose?  When I lowered it to normal height or access height the noise went away.  When it went back up to off-road height, noise came back.  Going left, right or straight made no difference on the noise, so more likely to be just the suspension going up and down.

Is there a problem leaving the suspension in off-road height for too long?  I wouldn't think so since others have installed the lift rods so it is at the "off-road" height all the time.

So what is this new noise and what to look for and fix?

Thanks,

Julian

I can't say what the noise is without seeing it, but you are right that leaving it at off road height should not cause any issues. It is possible the shield is rattling but I wouldn't expect it to be the source off the top of my head.

Hi Will,

Noise is intermittent.  After driving for a while it happened less frequently.  Pitch and loudness didn't change with speed.  Slight unevenness of road surface trigger the noise intermittently.  Only happens at off-road height.

Did your Donkey get new shoe (passenger rear tire)?  Thanks for showing us around at the Annual.

Thanks,

Julian

I'm going to guess it's a heat shield for the exhaust. There are quite a few of them along the exhaust routing and it's possible that something is pinching it still while in standard height, but moves enough to let it rattle at offroad height. 

Hi Will,

Noise is intermittent.  After driving for a while it happened less frequently.  Pitch and loudness didn't change with speed.  Slight unevenness of road surface trigger the noise intermittently.  Only happens at off-road height.

Did your Donkey get new shoe (passenger rear tire)?  Thanks for showing us around at the Annual.

Thanks,

Julian

Intermittent, decrease over time, bump induced and dependent on increased drive height.     

I'm thinking what ever is making this noise is temperature sensitive and not securely fastened or ajar.  

Sounds like a heat shield or accessory item mounted near a drive shaft.  

As for Donkey, I still have a few spare tires left to be mounted.  As for new, I'm going to rethink my tire choice (Duratrac) due to frequent side wall cuts 

Archived