Solar panel to charge the battery?

jlmoped

I don't drive the LR4 enough to keep the battery charged and sometimes get the low battery warning message.  Will it be a good idea to hook up a trickle charge to the battery while not in use?  Or does it make sense to put a solar panel on the roof rack to up off the battery?

I saw this panel and controller on Amazon, will they do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/MOHOO-Flexible-Lightweight-Connector-Compatibility/dp/B071L9NSMB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1507925003&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=solar+panel+sunpower&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Charger-Controller-Intelligent-Regulator/dp/B01MU0WMGT/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MU0WMGT&pd_rd_r=QSGKVD4QK2VP4WAETT0J&pd_rd_w=IFB3o&pd_rd_wg=ayR0Q&psc=1&refRID=QSGKVD4QK2VP4WAETT0J

Or is there a better option to charge the battery beside drive it more often.

Thanks,

Julian

That will work fine.  Did the same set up for a friend on his Toyota heading out to the desert to camp for multiple days.

If you want to hard mount the solar panel on the roof rack (or leave it up there for days at a time) I would suggest mounting that panel on something flat. I have one suspended and it got too hot in the driveway over a weekend and melted.  Didn't seem to loose voltage, but never flat again.  "mount flat" means against something.  If a roof rack, if you have the luggage bumps..it will melt over them.

I also would tell you to mount the controller inside the cab somewhere you can access it (in the load space) as it is nice to just put some quick release plugs on and pull the panel in when needed.  And the USB's are nice back there for phones etc.

But yes.  I can run a 10 + year old ARB/Engle fridge on a 100 watt solar panel for days on end...and not loose the charge.  AS LONG AS IT IS SUNNY.  Cloudy, things drop off.

The easiest way to keep it up is with a 'smart' trickle charger like a BatteryTender:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0185G-dl-wh-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B00DJ5KEEA/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1508171873&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+tender

They are super popular in the hot rod and motorcycle markets where a vehicle might sit for a long time between uses.  The charger is too small to bring a dead battery back but perfect for maintaining a charged or nearly charged battery.  They come with alligator clips for easy connection and ring terminals that can be attached permanently then the wires run to the grill with a plug so you don't even have to open the hood, just plug the charger in at the quick plug and forget it.

As for solar, that would work for your lay-up but also have the benefit of charging the battery when in camp.  The drawbacks are higher cost and complexity.  

I think Nick D. as selling a 100w panel recently - you might touch base with him to see if he still has it.

Thanks Mike (right?), can I just hard wire the controller to the battery?  I have a Frontrunner roof rack, planing to mount the panel on the cross slats.  Do I still need a backing?  If needed, can I use ABS plastic as the backing, or need metal?  Can I leave it on while on the highway or will it flap too much?

Hi Don, I have an older Battery Tender for a motorcycle (which I don't have anymore).  That's one option, but I prefer not to have a wire running out to the driveway.  Plus that is too easy to do, I need a project that requires me to bring out more tools  :P

Thanks,

Julian

I've had a 100w solar panel on top of my slim-line front runner rack since 2007(?). It's wired to a charge controller then to my aux battery which wires to starter battery. It's a little awkward but the solar tops my aux battery constantly. The aux battery powers all my accessories, Engel refrig, ham radio,aux LED headlights,winch,inverter and it recharges the main battery.

post-412-0-20701800-1508207343_thumb.jpg smart charger

post-412-0-21007700-1508207425_thumb.jpg aux battery

post-412-0-85105300-1508207513_thumb.jpg wire junction box

post-412-0-04816900-1508207750_thumb.jpg charge controller

post-412-0-52998900-1508207671_thumb.jpg solar panel

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has a voltage in meter on it, or when unplugged, battery voltage.

Know I am way late, but ABS will work on the bendy panels.  Mine is zip tied to the luggage rack on a Westfalia and lives there permanently.   Your highway speeds may vary....but at 70, it rattles a bit (due to mounting) and works fine.

and yes, hard wire controller to battery and then I use a quick connect to change from Roof to ground panels.  That way I can park in the sun or the shade.

Archived