Deer valley and slick rock this weekend

I am heading up highway 4 this weekend to run Deer Valley trail and Slick Rock trail and possibly Corral Hollow if I get up there early enough. I'm going Sunday to Monday, so the days are probably not going for most people, but if they do it will be some fun and challenging rock crawling. My plans as of now are as follows:

Leave the bay early Sunday (around 6am)

Maybe run Corral Hollow

Run Deer Valley trail

Camp at twin lake Sunday night

Monday morning take the regular road out to highway 4 and down to lake alpine

Run slick rock to Utica reservoir

Head home

If anyone would like to join me that would be awesome. Both are technical rock crawling trails. Both are relatively flat. Lift, armor and skid plates are needed and some type of traction aid would be nice, but not necessary. My plans are fluid at this point so if anybody wants to run Corral Hollow and slick rock on Sunday (easier of the three), then I'd be down to adjust how I run it. Let me know if you have any interest or questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm clear to come up for the day on Sunday. I'd like to check out slick Rock and depending on time look at Sourgrass or coral hollow if that works...

I'm thinking there may be some other folks from the area who sneak out with us. Trying to confirm.

I'll send you a PM so we can keep connected.

I'm on 33s with lockers front and rear and this is going to be my shake down run since doing a bunch of upgrades.

Looking forward to it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm clear to come up for the day on Sunday. I'd like to check out slick Rock and depending on time look at Sourgrass or coral hollow if that works...

I'm thinking there may be some other folks from the area who sneak out with us. Trying to confirm.

I'll send you a PM so we can keep connected.

I'm on 33s with lockers front and rear and this is going to be my shake down run since doing a bunch of upgrades.

Looking forward to it!

I spoke to Jaimy on the phone the today. Our tentative plans were going to be Deer Valley Sunday and camp at Twin Lake. Both Slick Rock and Deer Valley could be done on Sunday. I haven't done Deer Valley, but I've done Slick Rock and Corral Hollow. I hear Deer Valley is a bit more challenging than Slick Rock. Were you planning on camping out or just the day?

I spoke to Jaimy on the phone the today. Our tentative plans were going to be Deer Valley Sunday and camp at Twin Lake. Both Slick Rock and Deer Valley could be done on Sunday. I haven't done Deer Valley, but I've done Slick Rock and Corral Hollow. I hear Deer Valley is a bit more challenging than Slick Rock. Were you planning on camping out or just the day?

Deer valley is really tough and not sure if that is the level Jaime will want to do without sliders. That trail goes all the way to HW 88, so then you have to run it back. That said haven't driven it... I've done coral hollow and Sourgrass and both are great trails with beautiful scenery.

I've been looking forward to running slick Rock too!

Started off the morning with Coach Mac and I linking up at a local gas station in between our places. From there we headed south along hwy 49 to Angles Camp were we made a quick bathroom stop at the McDonald's there before turning onto hw4.

Jaimy headed inside and I took a quick second to look the Rover over and quickly noticed Jaimy's was smoking. As he came out we saw his valve cover leaking onto the catalytic converter. Didn't seem too extensive so we pushed on.

Arrived at lake Alpine just past 9am and shortly after Eric and his girlfriend Merlin arrived. We then looked into Jaimy's leak some more which got worse so we grabbed some tools and tightened his cover up. That seems to have resolved the issue.

From there we aired down and hit the trail.

We moved our way down to the camp spots along the creek and enjoyed a beer while checking the spots out.

From there continued on our way, no major issues as we passed through the first few obstacles. Then we arrived at a wedge which requires running driver tire up on a ledge and the other side on the granite wall. It looks more difficult then it is. But as we stalled there we were caught by a FJ40 on 40s and Gen1 Toyota pickup on 37s. We let them go by and carried on our way.

Next obstacles were at the bottom of steep hill with some narrow switch backs that included some ledges coming off the boulders. Eric made it through easily but did dig out the soft dirt a little. We then worked Jaimy's D1 through. As he had a slightly smaller tires and his sway bars on still left him crossed axle without lockers or traction control. So we stacked rocks and jumped on bumpers with some added skinny pedal and he got out of it. During that we were caught up by five well built new Jeep's from Santa Rosa which included a few of the AEV hemi powered jks on 37s. Nice group of guys and we let them pass. After they went buy I came down the hill and we carried on. Everything was straight forward until we hit the gate keeper.

As we arrived we found the Toyota crew waiting for us as they wanted to see how the "range rovers" were going to get out.

We waited our turn watching all the Jeep's go through. There was a guy who spotted his entire group up the hard line aka the stair case. Then it was his turn. He improved our show greatly by getting way off balance and almost rolled it. Following that he took the bypass.

Eric then jumped in and ran the hard line as well. He had to adjust his line a couple time. His bumper and rear step kept his departure angle from getting over the first boulders. Finally he was able to pivot and get on top and then was able to climb out.

Next up was my turn, I hadn't really thought about it and wasn't planning on doing it when I heard about it earlier. As the day went on my confidence really grew. Building on the left foot braking I learned from Don and having road through the Rubicon I found the obstacles less overwhelming. So I opted for the hard line. I've just recently upgraded my drive train to include ARB lockers and 4.11 gears so it was a chance to test everything.

Started out well, got a little off line then Jaimy got me relined up. From there made it up on the ledge and tried to set myself up for the right turn onto the stairs and threw Jaimy off as he was expecting me to go up the granite slabs which is also challenging.

I got myself into a line to run my passenger tires onto the cliff edge as that was said to be a good line. As I began to climb things went well but then I caught the slider onto the edge and couldn't move. The crowd helped with spotting and added bak some rocks the JKs kicked out. Then I did some pivoting back and forth to get myself off and from there I was able to get up it.

From there we worked Jaimy's D1 without lockers and a 2" lift up onto the slabs. Jaimy's D1 did great, he got a little too much momentum pivoting onto the slabs and added a minor tweak to his front bumper. From there he climbed out perfectly putting on a great show for the crowd.

It was a great time and the different groups were pleasent people. They were all looking forward to seeing us escape the trail. So it was great to fly the Rover flag well. We all heard great praises from the others for how ours performed and shocked by the cost relative to theirs.

We then left trail and headed for Camp Connell general store as Eric and Jaimy needed supplies for their camping night. I left them there as they headed down to run Sourgrass and camp along the river.

I'm looking forward to reading about their and seeing some their pictures and videos.

Here's some highlights I managed to grab.

Thanks to Eric for organizing!

76d8f7162c0a62d13f157d447dcf977b.jpgd5d4a7552aa7424653a32f2b6b169b12.jpg5bd8cfb7f33344a88f4e426b120b0140.jpg919cef9f87cc9ef44401f71243729a78.jpg57abcb8f29a14cd6c387c150d56ba629.jpg95ba7b128f280013b34ff7b3f64bf977.jpg

Well done - Slick Rock has been called 'intro to the Rubicon' as the stair steps at the south end give you a taste of some of the obstacles on the 'con.  

Clearly we'll have more trucks ready to join us for the '18 Rubicon season!

Here is a video of the run. It includes most of the more interesting sections, but, of course, couldn't include everything for times sake. The end has us going up the staircase. That's the most challenging section and best known.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cuNYNjnSWXz7zpRt2

This is the same video, but to the soundtrack of Tron. Makes it seem more dramatic and drowns out all the swearing and crunching. YouTube one is with just the trail noise

Oh come on, you know we need the crunching and swearing to get the full effect!

Archived