The eternal question...

dcproven

My wife's daily is an e-golf. Second EV we've had in the house. First one was a 13 spark EV. That car was a hoot. 400 ft/lbs of torque destroyed the stock LRR tires in pretty short order. If you do a lot of short trips, EV's work out really well. My wife doesn't drive the freeways, has free charging at work, and generally doesn't drive more than 30 miles per day. If they come out with the silly lease deals like they did with the previous Smart EV when the next one starts selling I'll probably pick one up to commute in. They were leasing at $100 - $200 a month iirc..

That being said, I wont be selling the rover any time soon :)

EV is a viable option, but only for a very limited part of the population. ....

Don,

When the average mileage per year is ~12,000 (numbers seem to vary from 11,000 to 13,500 depending upon source), and most mileage is to/from a fixed place of work, that statement is in fact incorrect.  It might not work for you, but at 250 miles per week, almost everyone could live with an EV.  Bear in mind that only on long journeys would a charge be needed 'en route', the rest of the time you're charging while you are asleep.  Add up all the time you spend at gas stations and it will far exceed the few times you need to "wait" for a fast charge.  Destination chargers are springing up all over the place .... even at wineries .... er, ask one of our members who owns one .... (thanks Stefano!).

Graeme

edit:

So for those of you who can't do a websearch ....

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39,d?search=supercharger,destination%20charger,&name=us&place=dc19763

This is very interesting.  I didn't go to the company's website for more details but it has potential.  The benefits of an electric driveline in an off-road vehicle are numerous:  Instant torque, portal-style drive hubs with no diffs/axles (if you use a motor at each wheel), flexibility in packaging the power package, etc.

The drawbacks are also not to be under-estimated.  I see they state an estimated 200 mile range for the optional extra large battery.  I wonder what that would be off-road. As we all know, our range goes down dramatically when we get on the trail.  Perhaps an electric wouldn't suffer as much loss of range as a gas motor in those circumstances (?)  And of course cost - even if this was a standard gas or diesel rig, low volume production is inevitably expensive.

Don

The UPS guy who delivers to my work has Hybrid written on the side of his big brown box van.  Not sure what system they are using but hello kitty may have some competition.  

I haven't seen a UPS hybrid in person but have seen a FedEx one.  I believe it's built in Canada but hasn't gained any significant market share as yet.  In fact, I've only seen one (1) ever.  

UPS was doing an experiment a few years back with a hydraulic assist motor hybrid.  Instead of electric, they recovered part of the stopping energy by pressurizing a hydraulic tank then using that pressure to give a boost to initial acceleration.  For a delivery vehicle that makes many start/stops, it proved to help the over-all economy but apparently had it's share of issues and I believe they dropped them from the fleet.

A bit about the UPS hydraulic hybrid:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic-hybrid3.htm

I believe they have ditched this for a more common electric hybrid now, though a quick google says they only have a relative few in the fleet so far.  I'm surprised this technology hasn't been adopted by the fleets more rapidly as it seems the perfect application.   Perhaps it just takes a while to fully mature and reach the reliability levels fleet managers require.  Or maybe they are just hesitant to adopt new tech to a large fleet.

Archived