CB Install on D2

LandRonB

Well, what can I do w/my spare time for missing out on the Mojave trip; free weekend!

Answer: Upgrade my handheld CB and mag mounted antenna (yes, finally after Enrique and Carlos badgering me w/my current crappy Radioshack portable CB setup) to a more permanent antenna and higher quality underdash mounted CB!

Parts ordered from GI Joe Electronics: http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=131

* 4ft Firestick II w/tunable tip + No ground (since I am mounting it on an alum panel) + Mount/Coax Cable Kit for $52.95 + tax/shipping

Note: I can buy just the antenna for about $25 but I need the mounting kit and coax cable!

* Cobra Handheld WXST $92.95 (Camping World has this for $106.95 @ member's price but since I was ordering the antenna from GI Joe, I added the CB for a few more dollars for shipping cost)!

* And var parts: 16gauge red and black wire, terminal connections, grommets, etc... from Radioshack and Osh Hardware! Cost $30.

Install was easy once a good plan was laid out; hard part was figuring where to install the antenna and CB.

Decided rear mount for the antenna (not bumper mount since I will eventually be getting a new custom bumper).

And decide to go for the smallest/high quality CB I can get my hands on (due to my limitedd option mounting a standard CB on my D2); not a lot of room for a CB unit on the D2 dash/under dash; decided to go with the Cobra WXST - see pic 1.

Pic 2: Feeding the coax under the chasis and thru the rear!

Pic 3: Painting the hardware black to match the ext color of my D2.

Pic 4: Blow torch and heat shrink insulation makes a professional/clean looking install! Hides my not so bad soldering job! :)

Pic 5: CB antenna/mount finished

Pic 6 & 7: Decided to install the CB power unit on the driver's side left kick panel. Need to remove two plastic rivet/screw.

Pic 8: CB power unit install done!

Pic 9: Wires feed thur/drilled firewall to battery and antenna; w/grommet makes a clean looking install.

Pic 10: CB unit hanging

Test went well (now need to take it for off-road test). Had the wife on the portable and I was on the new CB about 1 miles away; loud and clear! Nice! Need to get the SWR, make sure it tuned next!

Notice the firewood, Coleman portable margarita maker (back-up) in the background; that was for the Mojave (just fyi Chuck/Gary if you guys give me a hard time for missing this trip); I have supplies for future use.

Not shown, the real Margarator is the kitchen (in use while installing this CB). :D

Yes, Chuck; pics of the Mojave trip made me jealous!

And David, the breath buster is me after several margaritas; he! he! It's for my co-pilot at times - Shakespeare - our 7 year old mix breed dog!

Lol! I'll save some for you John on the next Shaver Lake Trip and Baloot feast! :D

Nice casa in San Ramon by the way John! And if that CB place in San Leandro that you mentioned to me is a good place to get CB antennas e.g. firestick and radio, let me know and I can post the company info, here.

C yah!

It's about time you upgraded, Ron. Now how about a similar setup for the CT110, hmm?

Now let's see, how did that go again...? "Enrique, would you tell Ron we're gonna pull over up here?"

"Okay...Ron, Ron can you copy? Dan, he's not hearing me. Oh wait, I just heard something like static...yeah, I got through. He knows..."

:D

Lol!

Hey, when I announced over the CB that baloot is ready to be served; all I got was static also! :D

Yeah, I know the time is now; reason for the upgrade; very important to have a good working CB both on my D2 and CT110!

It's about time you upgraded, Ron. Now how about a similar setup for the CT110, hmm?

Now let's see, how did that go again...? "Enrique, would you tell Ron we're gonna pull over up here?"

"Okay...Ron, Ron can you copy? Dan, he's not hearing me. Oh wait, I just heard something like static...yeah, I got through. He knows..."

:D

I know what you mean Mike!

I still have the power module on that side, but I've moved the handheld CB unit on the right hand side (by the diff lock shifter)! No chance of trail bump and then whoops!

Watch out on that location.....one good bump and it will be CB on the trail, literally.

Ron, The place you must be referring to is Clyde's Corner Electronics. 15796 E. 4th St. San Leandro 94578-2022 (510) 276-8739. Clifford Welch is the owner.

I was planing on going there tomorrow to see if I could setup my D1 similar to yours.

Baseball season starts tomorrow in the East Bay ~ Go A's

Jim :D

Ron, The place you must be referring to is Clyde's Corner Electronics. 15796 E. 4th St. San Leandro 94578-2022 (510) 276-8739. Clifford Welch is the owner.

I was planing on going there tomorrow to see if I could setup my D1 similar to yours.

Baseball season starts tomorrow in the East Bay ~ Go A's

Jim :D

I like the As also!

Go Gaints, but we lost against the Dodgers! :(

Thanks for the info Jim!

Get used to it Giants fans. Your team will be losing a lot to the Dodgers this year :D

Yeah, Giants didn't do well during Spring training either!

But go Giants anyways!

Watching the game. 5 mins ago Giants was leading 2-0 vs Dodgers. Top of the 7th and now tie. Argggg!

Back to Land Rovering...

Edit: 9th innning; can't believe that; Dodgers win by 1; from a ground ball!

Like I said Back to Land Rovering....

Ron and all,

Had a chance to visit Clyde's Corner Electric. I came with no expectations and I wasn't disappointed. The place is a throw back to another era. I think there were phone books from when I was a kid lying around. They did have just about every kind of CB radio and accessory you could name. There were piles of older radios that looked well used.

I spoke to Cliff who was seated in a leather chair when I walked in. He's been repairing electronics for over 40 years. He currently has a tech on staff. He was walking the shop dog at the time.

I mentioned a few radios I was thinking about and got a brief history of radio manufacturing techniques for the past 30 years. In short, he feels the newest models are inefficient radios. I asked what he's recommending and he brings out a Midland hand-held unit. We tuned it up to 6 watts he proudly proclaims.

In short, I took a chance on his recommendation. It's a Midland Model 77-225A The base unit sits under the front seat and the hand-held controller does the rest. I also got a 4' Firestick for $22. They make their own cables there from RG-8x and nicely soldered ends.

I'll make an attempt to install them Thursday morning.

Jim

p.s. he's not too fond of Cobra radios.

Ok, first of all where is Clydes, so we too can visit. Used to have a shop like that in El Toro called RVac....like someones garage, but had everything in the world...

Also, why not Cobras? Did he elaborate?

Clyde's Corner Electronics

(510) 276-8739

15796 E 14th St, San Leandro, CA 94578

http://f3.yahoofs.com/localcontent/e889/833347123_480x360_wide.jpg?lc_____Dpd49NFSF

Let us know how your install works out, and initial test!

And perhaps see you on the trail where we can truly test the CBs.

I already have a CB unit on my other truck and just need an antenna; $22 for Firestick (that's a deal) and a chance to talk to Clyde and get CB intel download is worth it.

Ron and all,

Had a chance to visit Clyde's Corner Electric. I came with no expectations and I wasn't disappointed. The place is a throw back to another era. I think there were phone books from when I was a kid lying around. They did have just about every kind of CB radio and accessory you could name. There were piles of older radios that looked well used.

I spoke to Cliff who was seated in a leather chair when I walked in. He's been repairing electronics for over 40 years. He currently has a tech on staff. He was walking the shop dog at the time.

I mentioned a few radios I was thinking about and got a brief history of radio manufacturing techniques for the past 30 years. In short, he feels the newest models are inefficient radios. I asked what he's recommending and he brings out a Midland hand-held unit. We tuned it up to 6 watts he proudly proclaims.

In short, I took a chance on his recommendation. It's a Midland Model 77-225A The base unit sits under the front seat and the hand-held controller does the rest. I also got a 4' Firestick for $22. They make their own cables there from RG-8x and nicely soldered ends.

I'll make an attempt to install them Thursday morning.

Jim

p.s. he's not too fond of Cobra radios.

Hey Mike,

That picture must have been taken a decade ago. It isn't quite as clean these days. You'll also not find an Open sign anywhere. So Clydes had been a repair center for Cobra for 40 years. A few years ago, someone from Cobra came in as a customer and was upset that he wouldn't recommend any Cobra products, reported it to the company and he was fired as a repair rep. I'd be a bit upset, except he says that he gets many Cobras in for repair and he has to turn people away. He then sells them another brand.

I'm lustfully looking over my new gear and planning the cable run.

Jim :rolleyes:

After a successful MORG on Saturday, I wanted to share how my CB install went on my '96 Disco. You may have read my experiences at Clyde's. I felt inspired and full of knowledge. I spent a good part off a day mapping out the antenna cable run, the electrical and how to mount the thing. The actual install went fairly well considering I've never taken off a Rover door panel before. See the attached photos for some more detail. I have since secured the base unit and the power wires more completely but the rest work fine as is. For power, I tapped into the dome light fuse at the box. Not the easiest of tasks.

Friday evening I went up to Merritt College in the Oakland hills. My little tweaked out Motorola reached someone in San Mateo quite clearly. I was ready to roll.

Thanks to Ron and Mike for their leading on Saturday. I was happy to pull up the rear since I was in full communication with the pack. Having that radio added a sense of security and comfort, while also providing some entertaining moments. I would recommend having one at least for trailing.

Jim

• 3 months later...

NP Thommy!

Let me know if you need any help!

Disco2guy (Brenton) also just installed a CB on his D2, chime in and let us know if you have any other Qs!

C yah bud!

Ron

Archived